The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-06-2021, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSB123 View Post
Excuse the mess, still working on the best set up in my office.

Acoustics are kept all over.

That chair is awesome! Looks like a scorpion .
Old 04-07-2021, 04:48 PM
Charter Member

Old 04-08-2021, 07:19 AM
Charter Member

Dirk If I remember, you just got in the last year or two ?
Is that just a funny reflection on the arm bevel or have you begun a heavy relic process ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 04-08-2021, 08:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Dirk If I remember, you just got in the last year or two ?
Is that just a funny reflection on the arm bevel or have you begun a heavy relic process ?
It’s the sun hitting the upper story of our house. not ready to relic it yet, the thing is pristine. It’s been protected by COVID...
Old 04-11-2021, 07:08 AM

‘67 Country Gent
Old 08-29-2021, 11:03 AM
Charter Member

I thought I'd update my electric family pic since post #29.

'16 Deluxe Nashville, '21 Epi 1959 Les Paul Standard, '20 Player Telecaster ('20 body, '20 neck from a Player Tele HH, etc.)

Old 08-29-2021, 11:10 AM

Great looking family photo, Dave. Glad you resurrected this thread because it's a great one. I've read, and watched, some great reviews on the Epi '59 Les Paul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave42 View Post
I thought I'd update my electric family pic since post #29.

'16 Deluxe Nashville, '21 Epi 1959 Les Paul Standard, '20 Player Telecaster ('20 body, '20 neck from a Player Tele HH, etc.)

Old 08-29-2021, 12:01 PM
Charter Member

Default Three of mine that cover a lot of ground…

Laurent Brondel Honeycaster: Laurent made me this custom Swamp Ash/Birdseye Sugar Maple T-style guitar with a 25-1/2” scale, wider nut (1-11/16”) and saddle spacing (2-1/8”) and with Jason Lollar Charlie Christian and B.S. Tele pickups.

John Buscarino Monarch: John made me this 16” Carpathian Spruce/Austrian Alpine Maple archtop with tapered rims (2-3/4” to 3-1/2” in depth) with a 25” scale, 1-3/4” nut, 2-3/16” string spacing with a custom Kent Armstrong floating humbucker pickup with thumb wheel volume and tone pots.

Chuck Thornton Professional: This is Chuck’s chambered Bigleaf Maple topped/Honduran Mahogany through neck, semi-hollowbody model. Mine has a 25” scale, Macassar Ebony fretboard, 1-11/16” nut and Jason Lollar Imperial Low-Wind humbuckers with a 5-way switch with two split coil positions.

Old 08-29-2021, 05:27 PM

Last edited by Song; 08-31-2021 at 07:07 AM. Reason: guide
Old 08-30-2021, 05:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texsunburst59 View Post
Thanks G Jeffers.

I love it too.

That's my '75 Fender Mocha Stat I got off CL in a trade for a $500 Fender Tele.

This guy on CL was tired of his beat up and weathered old Strat, and was looking for something new.

I gladly traded my '11 Fender Tele of it.

I think I got the better of the deal.

Here's some better pics.

I must have missed this when it first came around - this guitar makes me nostalgic! I had the exact same guitar - it might have been a ‘76, never got around to checking serial numbers for the exact year. But the exact same mid-70’s mocha brown strat. It was my first strat, bought for about $400 in 1979 or so. It started me on 40+ years as a strat guy, which I remain. It was my only electric guitar for about 25 years. Back when I was playing out a lot, it was always with this guitar. Played it to jam with the blues band we hired to play our wedding. I sold it in around 2004-2005 when I was pretty sure I’d quit playing (picked it up again about five years ago). It had the original three way switch when I bought it, removed the spring and used to use a toothpick to get it to stay in the 2 & 4 positions. Replaced it with a five way once I found out that was possible, probably within the first year or two.

I honestly like the MIM hardtail partscaster I have today more - it’s based around a Robert Cray but with a soft v neck with a maple board and rewired tone controls, but man, I have so many memories tied up in that old mocha strat. Mine was pretty beat up when I sold it, but it still played and sounded as good as it ever had…

-Ray
Old 08-30-2021, 01:51 PM

Wow - what a beautiful McCarty 594! Is that an upright case it's in with a glass window or did you convert a real case? Also, what's the PRS 12 string? That looks sweet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Song View Post
<<snippet pics>>

<<snippet pics>>
Old 08-30-2021, 05:10 PM
Charter Member

That Brondel Honeycaster blackguard w CC in the neck is something else!

“Would”.

Beautiful guitar, perfect specs imo.
Old 08-30-2021, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Wow - what a beautiful McCarty 594! Is that an upright case it's in with a glass window or did you convert a real case? Also, what's the PRS 12 string? That looks sweet.
Hey Dru! The 12 is a hollowbody core. The display case is Fender tweed $300 @ GC which is way overpriced imo.
I got mine in a trade.

I thought about sawing a hole in my case, adding plexi, and screwing it to the wall but decided it would be a mess.
Have a great day!
Old 08-31-2021, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Song View Post
Hey Dru! The 12 is a hollowbody core. The display case is Fender tweed $300 @ GC which is way overpriced imo.
I got mine in a trade.

I thought about sawing a hole in my case, adding plexi, and screwing it to the wall but decided it would be a mess.
Have a great day!
I've never seen a display "case" before. I like it!

I just checked it out at Long & McQaude... out of stock and $410 CAD (+15% tax) for the tweed. Yikes.
Old 09-02-2021, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
I must have missed this when it first came around - this guitar makes me nostalgic! I had the exact same guitar - it might have been a ‘76, never got around to checking serial numbers for the exact year. But the exact same mid-70’s mocha brown strat. It was my first strat, bought for about $400 in 1979 or so. It started me on 40+ years as a strat guy, which I remain. It was my only electric guitar for about 25 years. Back when I was playing out a lot, it was always with this guitar. Played it to jam with the blues band we hired to play our wedding. I sold it in around 2004-2005 when I was pretty sure I’d quit playing (picked it up again about five years ago). It had the original three way switch when I bought it, removed the spring and used to use a toothpick to get it to stay in the 2 & 4 positions. Replaced it with a five way once I found out that was possible, probably within the first year or two.

I honestly like the MIM hardtail partscaster I have today more - it’s based around a Robert Cray but with a soft v neck with a maple board and rewired tone controls, but man, I have so many memories tied up in that old mocha strat. Mine was pretty beat up when I sold it, but it still played and sounded as good as it ever had…

-Ray
So glad this guitar took you back in time.

I actually got MY 1st "REAL" electric guitar, which is my '79 Fender Antigua Strat.

My dad took me guitar shopping and I ended up picking the Antigua because the color reminded me of shark skin color.

I actually got my '75 Fender Mocha in a CL traded a few years ago, when I traded an old man my pawnshop score '11 Fender Tele I'd bought for $500.

I'd posted the '11 Fender Tele on CL for sale or trade, and he contacted me about trading his old Strat.

We ended up doing the trade and both got guitars we wanted.

My son recently played the '75 Mocha Strat at church service a couple of weeks ago, and it sounded amazing.

This strat is pretty special by the way.

It weighs about 7 1/2 lbs., and the neck profile is between a med and thin C, and the '74 stamped grayback single coils sound really good.
'81 Martin 7-28 7/8 D-28
'03 Taylor Jumbo Custom
'04 Ramirez 1-E Classical
'09 Breedlove Roots OM/SR acoustic/electric
‘15 Martin Centennial DC - 28E

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars