The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 03-13-2014, 09:41 AM

Good job Ben thanks Brian....
Old 03-13-2014, 10:04 AM

It's gorgeous Brian, enjoy it in good health!
Old 03-13-2014, 10:08 AM

Thanks Ben,I am just getting used to it after playing flat tops for a long time,it`s a different animal!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-13-2014, 10:18 AM

I know the feeling completely. I'm blessed to have two guitars that I truly love and adore, and that I have arrived at after buying and selling more guitars than I can count (seriously, probably 60) in the last five years. One is a dread and the other is my archtop. My ear is more in tune with the dread. I think most people's are. It's a sound and tone that most of us hear more often, and I think our brains have set that tone to be the "standard" of what we expect an acoustic guitar to sound like. Or at least my brain has done that.

But, I find after playing the archtop for a few hours, the dread sounds too busy, too jumbled, and too rich with overtones. It's amazing to me how our brains react to different sounds. I love both of my guitars, and enjoy switching back and forth.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:20 AM

Hey Ben,I could not have put it more aptly.....Good observation bro..........
Old 03-14-2014, 05:32 AM

Hey guy`s Campellone is coming up for sale...
Old 03-14-2014, 09:10 AM

Regarding Kayakman's Campellone:

NO PICKUP! That is the kind of archtop commitment I respect man! We should be friends!

Circle 'Round the Sun
Old 03-14-2014, 09:18 AM

Hey Archtop Guy,already looking at a Triggs /L5 20`s Loar model,GAS again!!!!
Old 03-20-2014, 07:37 PM

1940's Epiphone Emperor

Here's one from google images

Last edited by StixDweller; 03-20-2014 at 07:50 PM. Reason: fix link
Old 03-21-2014, 05:41 AM

Wow, that Epi is great,must be a boomer.....Epi`s are right there at the top in my opinion...
Old 03-21-2014, 08:41 AM

Epiphones are very cool, and are a great bargain compared to their Gibson counterparts from the same years. I love this Emperor that Bernunzio currently has. Obviously, the cutaway is not original, but I think it looks great. And it comes with a DeArmond 1100 - easily a $1,000 pickup by itself! Neat!

http://bernunzio.com/product/epiphone-emperor-17786/

Old 03-21-2014, 07:54 PM
Charter Member

There are a lot of wonderful archtops in this thread, and each is "holy grail" to its owner. I am not sure why, but the Gibson Johnny Smith has always been the "holy grail" for me. I simply always wanted one. Last winter (2013), I finally did get one and it is my "holy grail". I also have a Robert Conti guitar. It is very nice, a Peerless (Korean) built to his specifications. There are situations when I play the jazz group in which I would be uncomfortable bringing my Johnny Smith. I do believe that there is not one "holy Grail", but many since we all have different definitions for what that guitar would be.

I will say from experience that those of us who do have our idea of what "holy grail" is firmly in mind, know when we are settling for second best or "also ran". This is absolutely no reflection the various archtops, but instead our own personal taste. I had a Guild Artist Award for a number of years. It was a 1969 model according to the serial number and was in great shape. Clearly, it is the "holy grail" for some players, based on threads in other forums I had read. But I knew deep down inside I wanted a Johnny Smith. When I found one, I had absolutely no trouble deciding what to do. The Guild is now another player's "holy grail". It was a win-win situation. I bought the Johnny Smith out of pocket and then consigned the Guild, which sold in a reasonable amount of time.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 03-23-2014, 11:36 AM

Cool Holy Grail of Archtops?

For me, it will always be the D'Angelico archtop guitar. I own a reissue of the 1936 New Yorker, and it plays like butter. I am truly not worthy of owning or playing this work of art, as I will never give it justice, being a 3rd rate hack.

But, I am happy to see that D'Angelico Guitars of America is again making guitars in the US. I'll never be able to afford a new one, but mine was made in Japan by Vestax, and I'll just have to make due. It's in pristine condition and I don't think the previous owner played it much, if ever. I somehow managed to be in the right place, at the right time, and got a very, very good price, through an eBay auction. I didn't dare ask the previous owner why he was selling it, as I was worried he might change his mind. I practically "stole" it, since nobody else was looking that day, I guess! He needed fast cash and I wanted a quick sale.

This is no "closet queen" and sits out on a stand when I'm not playing it, and I just love looking at it. The tri-color burst looks amazing, as does the figured maple back and sides. I am a lucky man. Beside it is a Martin D-41SE, which is another work of art, Sitka over rosewood, with abalone purfling and rosette. Beside that is my go-to classical guitar, a New Masters "Esperance SP" designed by Larry Cooperman. Engelmann spruce over rosewood, with lattice bracing, elevated fretboard, and a sound port.

I haven't had any GAS for awhile. I'm not cured, as there are a number of different guitars I would like to add to the stable, but I can now be patient, and enjoy what I have, which includes a Fender Deluxe MIA Strat, a Gibson LP Deluxe and a Martin Concept IV Jumbo.

Maybe I'll find another affordable archtop similar to those highlighted in this thread, which BTW are freakin' gorgeous, but there's no real rush, as I also have a Gibson ES-347 TD. But, because I already have MY "Holy Grail" which I'm very happy with, it's not going anywhere, anytime soon. When you've got the best, you can forget the rest.

Glen
Gibson LP Deluxe/ES-347 TD/Chet Atkins CE
Fender MIA Deluxe Strat
Art & Lutherie 12-string
Bellucci Concert
Sigma CR-7
Recording King ROS-06 FE3/RPH-05
D'Angelico "New Yorker"
New Masters "Esperance SP"
Hermosa AH-20
“I never met a guitar I didn't like.”

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops