The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 02-10-2009, 01:07 PM

I agree with Livingston.....Steve Holst REALLY took the time to educate me on the nuances of the Archtop.....I still send him questions and he is still educating me.....great to work with.....
Old 02-10-2009, 01:28 PM

Nothing against Steve - by all accounts he does great work - but he no longer provides images as he goes along. He only provides the images afterward on CDR. I think he must be busier now than he was when he was building your guitars.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montreux77 View Post
Nothing against Steve - by all accounts he does great work - but he no longer provides images as he goes along. He only provides the images afterward on CDR. I think he must be busier now than he was when he was building your guitars.
You know, I used to provide pics as I was working but found that it was a HUGE time sucker. Just the simple act of stopping what I was doing to snap a pic (usually had to go get the camera, etc), really interrupted my flow and took way more time than it should have.
Now, I'll often take a few at the end of the day but that's about it.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWoolson View Post
You know, I used to provide pics as I was working but found that it was a HUGE time sucker. Just the simple act of stopping what I was doing to snap a pic (usually had to go get the camera, etc), really interrupted my flow and took way more time than it should have.
Now, I'll often take a few at the end of the day but that's about it.
I can understand that. I know it's a lot of work just building guitars. I guess that's why buying a custom made instrument isn't very everyone - the buyer must be patient.

I think I could be patient, but as a potential buyer of a custom instrument, I'd be looking for some kind of regular updates, including images, although asking for daily images does seem unreasonable.
Old 02-10-2009, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive-south View Post
Last I heard Kim Walker has an 8 year wait for new instruments. At that rate, you could probably save the money while the guitar is being built. Get a paper route or start a dog walking service in your' spare time.

Beautiful guitars gents. I'd love to add a carve-top to the quiver. I love the 16" Collings non-cut archtops. A 17" non-cut would be even better.

drive-south
The photos I posted are of my wife holding my 16" Collings, I have owned several vintage archtops, none compare to my Collings. It is the last guitar I will ever need, end of the GAS-line. I also have had several opportunities to play the 17" Collings, nice, but I prefer the 16 incher.
Old 02-10-2009, 03:29 PM

Smile

Wow those are awesome. You know I never liked those old hollow bodies when I was young tho I heard folk doing cowboy type songs and Under the Dble Eagel type tunes but now that I'm older, I'm very intrigued.

I have an old 1954 Gibson ES 140T 3/4 I hope to setup and I can't wait to see how it sounds with a compensated bridge and better action.

Glad I stopped by.

Here's pic:

Old 02-10-2009, 03:38 PM
Charter Member

Re. Kim Walker, unlike most builders, he doesn't spray his sunburst finished on. He rubs the stain in by hand. This is how he gets that smooth transition between the dark and light colors. This is how Gibson did sunburst finishes in the very early days, pre 1920.

drive-south
Old 02-10-2009, 04:55 PM

Drive south....it is a pretty finish....French Polish they call it?
Old 02-10-2009, 05:12 PM

Always a bad idea to do archtop photo threads because they just get GAS going all over again, just when you'd got rid of it for good...

Wish I could justify owning a Campellone myself but my Eastman will have to do for now.

Richard

Taylor 612 (2006) STOLEN - the poor man's XXX-MS
Taylor 512ce-L30 (2004) STOLEN
Washburn M1S mandolin
Taylor Big Baby (2002) STOLEN - for sale; PM me
Eastman AR810-CE (2005)
plus various cheap electrics
Old 02-10-2009, 05:29 PM

Re-17....I quite like that blue Eastman.....very cool.....post some pics...
Old 02-10-2009, 06:36 PM

Hi Larry...

It is one of the most beautiful guitars I ever seen....Is it for sale....

Nice guitars are like works of art, the price of the canvess has little to do with the value of the finished product.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:39 PM

Collings City Limits Jazz:

Old 02-10-2009, 06:40 PM

This is probably fodder for another thread, and if there is interest I will start one, but how do you all handle setting the bridge on your archtops? I want to tweak mine sometimes, to ensure accurate tuning, but it seems that when I fuss with it, it makes it worse, and I end up having to find a setup person to set the bridge. advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplebaby View Post
Collings City Limits Jazz:

Swing! .

Last edited by rforman15; 02-10-2009 at 06:45 PM. Reason: because my amp goes to 11
Old 02-10-2009, 07:00 PM

rforman,

I just got the book "Guitar Player Repair Guide -how to setup, maintain and repair electrics and acoustics. He goes into that. He also produce videos that cover most repairs and setups. A cd comes with the book also. The book is done with Guitar Player Mag and is the third edition that includes lots and lots of useful info.

For a bridge fit ya hafta basically sand the bottom of it sos it meets the top exactly. And there is a tool that allows one to do that. but its by hand, no electric tools involved.

Reason I know is I'm doing the same for the '54+/- Gibson ES140T-3/4 you can see in an earlier post.

I hope this post helps ya get a handle on that sticky prob.

Rick

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops