The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

View Poll Results: Maple Vs. Rosewood Necks On Strats
I think maple necks play better than rosewood 28 28.00%
I think rosewood necks play better than maple 20 20.00%
I don't think there's any difference, or the difference is insignificant 52 52.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-13-2021, 03:01 PM

I only lean one way or the other due to aesthetics of the specific guitar. I own, and like, both.
Old 04-13-2021, 03:28 PM

I always prefer maple on Strats and Teles for purely aesthetic reasons. Having begun playing in the 50’s that was all we saw played. Rosewood wasn’t even available on them until 1959 and most were still playing older ones yet for a number of years, especially in local garage bands.And the younger guys were still buying the lower cost used ones for years after that. So rosewood on Strats and Teles just still looks wrong to me. Much as an LP would with maple.
Old 04-13-2021, 05:34 PM

I like the look of maple, but I prefer the feel of rosewood. Maple can be both slick and sticky, depending on humidity. But, IMO, the difference is minimal. The fretboard material is just slightly above the color of the pickguard on the list of things that are important to me.
Old 04-13-2021, 07:29 PM

I voted "not significant" -- as in the longer term and more generally I think this is so. I've never been able to hear a sure sound difference -- Fender guitars sound different for many reasons, and I've never swapped a neck with different fretboards quickly on one guitar to demonstrate to me that there's a difference that is caused by the fretboard.

I did have some issues with the first gloss finished Fender style fretboard when I got it. I had (and still largely have) a heavy grip and bend quite a bit. The gloss 'board wasn't as slick as rosewood board when my hands got sweaty my fingers felt like they were wearing new gym shoes on a basketball floor. That guitar has fairly low "vintage" style frets too, which accentuate that issue to the degree that it's present.

My fingers are now dry, and I never have that issue. Furthermore, not all maple fretboard necks have a gloss or sticky finishes anyway.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 04-13-2021, 09:56 PM

I own 11 USA Fender Strats, and 8 of them have maple fretboards.

These 3 below with the rosewood fretboards are my best sounding Strat style guitars.

'81 Martin 7-28 7/8 D-28
'03 Taylor Jumbo Custom
'04 Ramirez 1-E Classical
'09 Breedlove Roots OM/SR acoustic/electric
‘15 Martin Centennial DC - 28E

Last edited by Texsunburst59; 04-14-2021 at 04:55 AM.
Old 04-13-2021, 10:24 PM

I do feel a difference (though it's not huge) and prefer maple of the two. My favorite fingerboard wood is ebony, followed by maple, then rosewood.
Martin D12X1AE
LaPatrie CW Concert
Old 04-14-2021, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddy View Post
I always prefer maple on Strats and Teles for purely aesthetic reasons. Having begun playing in the 50’s that was all we saw played. Rosewood wasn’t even available on them until 1959 and most were still playing older ones yet for a number of years, especially in local garage bands.And the younger guys were still buying the lower cost used ones for years after that. So rosewood on Strats and Teles just still looks wrong to me. Much as an LP would with maple.
A les paul with a one piece maple neck, now that would be hilarious XD XD XD
Old 04-14-2021, 05:25 AM
Charter Member

I vote “no difference”, but I bet this debate was raging before Leo invented the Esquire!
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 04-14-2021, 06:49 AM

I was nothing but maple necks for years. Ended up with no Strat at all. I just assume that getting a LP kind of inspired me toward a rosewood which ended up being the 2005 Fender Deluxe strat HSS with the roller nut, S1 switching. Absolutely love it! Best sounding electric unplugged I've ever played.
Old 04-14-2021, 07:25 AM
Charter Member

The OP's question was "which plays better",... not "which sounds better".

My experience is with tele style guitars that I build, I suppose half have been all maple w/ lacquered fingerboards and half have been un-lacquered in East Indian Rosewood, Pau Ferro and a couple ebony.

I've swapped out necks on the same guitar, EIR and maple. I've played hundreds of hours on stage w/ both. All the necks on my guitars have the same specs, nut width, profile, thickness,.. etc.

My personal opinion and the feedback I get from owners is, lacquered maple necks are faster. If that's better, then so be it. But I like both for different reasons.

Someone asked me last time this subject came up what I meant by faster, I took that question as disingenuous,.. really if one can't figure that out they need to step away from the computer and get some guitar playing in.

If someone is looking for a very easy, fast neck, a conversion scale (24.75") in maple/maple would be my recommendation.
Old 04-14-2021, 09:28 AM

Assuming same & decent fret height, it makes no difference to me. Many maple necked Fenders left the factory with very low frets because they were installed before the necks were sprayed. Buffing out would often take off too much fret material for my tastes.
Old 04-20-2021, 11:34 PM

Rosewood on strats! Maple on Teles.

Kidding. Kind of. Really I think it just depends on the particular guitar. 90s+ maple I’ve found overly glossy much of the time (relics excluded). Rosewood generally I’ve found more comfortable. The newer stuff is a different ballgame with the satin necks...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars