The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-22-2020, 09:29 PM

Default Inherenting the herd?

Occasionally I will run across a player
(Typically, a bluegrass player)
Who has a guitar (or banjo, mandolin, or fiddle)
Who will mention it was their fathers or grandfathers guitar.
It is the guitar they play, and hold it
In high regard, because its a Martin or Gibson etc.
Along with the sentimental value of course.
In this day and age, with all the adding to "the Herd"
And thinning "the herd"...the senerio might morph into
Grandpa left me his 27 guitars.
Are people going to hand down the herd?

* before you say "hey man, get a life"
It's the pandemic thing. I have time
To ruminate on useless topics!
Old 11-22-2020, 09:31 PM
Charter Member

If 2 guitars is a herd, then YES.

Collings ~ Taylor ~ Martin
Old 11-22-2020, 09:33 PM

I will probably get my dads 30 some classical guitars.
Old 11-22-2020, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmanmatty View Post
I will probably get my dads 30 some classical guitars.
Wow. And I play nylon stringers
Old 11-22-2020, 10:47 PM

That's an interesting question. I don't like to think about it, but if my father passes away before I do I suppose I'll likely be the one to inherit his two guitars, one which was his father's only guitar, and the other which was his only guitar ever until his father's guitar. I'd much rather not have those guitars and have him around though, as I'm sure most would their parents!
Old 11-22-2020, 11:06 PM
Charter Member

With Covid rampant, my wife and I realized we needed to get our wills together and deal with things like this. Since neither of my boys play guitar, and they’ll have a whole lot of other cr@p to deal with when I go, I made sure to put some instructions in my will. I have made sure that they offer a guitar to each of a few friends who play (if they’re still around) and a couple of “collectibles” to special places. The rest they can sell if they don’t want them - but I will remain hopeful they’ll each keep at least one ( but, I’d honestly love to know which ones they’d choose! ). And I do plan on selling a few before then - and hopefully buy fewer -
Old 11-23-2020, 06:07 AM

Only one of my guitars holds any kind of sentimental attachment. It's an electric that I bought new in 1984 (when I was 20) and played in an originals band that was popular locally. For many many years, it was the only guitar I owned. It's a superb instrument, but I rarely play it now because it doesn't suit what I play now. I firmly associate it with a happy time and place in the past though.

The pre-teen grandson of a dear old friend is demonstrating a serious proclivity for music, and he is formerly studying jazz bass while also messing around on guitar. Even at his tender age, he has pretty well-rounded taste in music.

For some reason, probably because he knows I have a long background playing music, he looks up to me, and insists that his grandma send me videos showing his progress, and anxiously awaits my evaluation. It's both an honor and a responsibility.

In about seven years, my wife and I are planning to retire and move to a much smaller home overseas (in Japan), so we are already starting to offload possessions in preparation. I have already decided that eventually the young man will be getting the guitar that I bought in 1984 and possibly some of my other instruments. The decision feels good.
1984 Rickenbacker 330
1990s Mosrite (Kurokumo) Ventures
2002/2005 Fender Japan '60s Tele [TL-62-66US]
2008 Hallmark 60 Custom
2018 Martin Custom Shop 00-18 slot-head

1963 Fender Bandmaster (blonde blackface)
1965 Ampeg Gemini I
2020 Mojotone tweed Champ kit build
Old 11-23-2020, 06:30 AM
Charter Member

Mine will be in my estate, along with everything else. I mean, I'm not going to designate a particular instrument to a particular kid. I guess it is up to them whether they keep them or sell them. But you can't assume your kids want them and will treasure them.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 11-23-2020, 06:48 AM

I am a long time playing amateur. As such, I've been quite content with the "herd" of 3 guitars I currently own. Since we have no kids, and I expect my wife will out-live me, I've told her I want those guitars (and a few amps) to go to her nephew, who also enjoys playing at an amateur level.
Old 11-23-2020, 06:56 AM
Charter Member

I'm 72 and I have "the letter" from the Secretary of State for Health and Social Care telling me that I am "clinically, extremely vulnerable".

When they told me I had throat cancer in 2017, I had a word with my disabled daughter-in-law who is financially very smart and runs her own online business.

No-one in my immediate or extended family are musical.

I keep a record of all my "wooden" assets which are willed to my wife, who will liaise with my D-I-L to liquidate my collection.
She has promised me to manage disposal of my collection for my wife.
How they split the income - is up to them.
Old 11-23-2020, 07:02 AM

Being of a sentimental nature, I envy those of who who can inherit a guitar. I am the first in my family to play anything. One side of the family had a few pianists and the other side nothing - probably for hundreds of years. My children all can play something, though none of them are as nearly into it as I have been. I hope to whittle down things as I fill my last years, but they'll inherit something. I have instructions in a separate document (not a will) of what to do with them and what they are worth. Naturally, if they want them, my kids or grandchildren will have their pick but I don't see that happening. I think they'd prefer the money.

I had hoped to find a musical partner to leave some to and twice thought I had, but each of them moved on. I still hope to find a deserving and needy person, but in all likelihood they will be mostly going to consignment after I pass.

Now suppose there were 27 guitars like the OP mentioned? I think that may be a better opportunity for the heirs than with 5 or whatever I will be leaving. get enough of them, and enough value to them, then you can engage a professional auctioneer who deals in such things and they'll all find new homes in a few days. As it is, they go to a dealer and my heirs will have to wait and wait to get the value from them.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 11-23-2020, 07:16 AM

In my case we had a long standing rule that I could have 3 guitars at any one time. So when I purchased the last one that spoke to me, I got ready to figure out which guitar I would have to cull from the herd. I did mention to the wife that with 4 kids, It would be better to have 4 so I could leave 1 to each of them. Surprisingly, this logic worked, so the herd size now resides at 4.
Old 11-23-2020, 07:31 AM

I have three grown children, only one of which plays. My intent would be to leave a guitar to each kid. The “player” would likely get his choice and the other two can decide on their own. I currently have 3 “really good” guitars and one “pretty good” guitar which has a collectability factor but is quite sentimental.

I wouldn’t expect there to be a big “I have to learn to play” epiphany from the non-players but I would think it would be nice for them to have a little something from their old man.
Old 11-23-2020, 07:51 AM
Charter Member

If you see all of my guitars for sale in the Classified section, you'll know that I'm gone and my son is having a liquidation sale....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 11-23-2020, 07:55 AM
Charter Member

My dad has a D18V and a D19 as well as some nice electrics, including a '71 Les Paul Custom. I'm the only one of his kids who play but I imagine my drummer brother wanting that Les Paul when he goes. I just don't even want to think about it and I don't want to fight over it. My kid doesn't play (yet) so who knows with mine?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion