The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-10-2020, 12:14 PM
Charter Member

Default larrivee question.

I have recently become intrigued with larrivee guitars. i have done some research and all reviews are excellent. i'm about ready to pull the trigger on a dred but have no experience with the guitars other than what i've seen and heard online. no dealers in my area.

one thing i read is that the higher end dreds aren't all that different in tone,sound etc. than the lesser expensive models. i don't really care about all the bling anyway. what do you larrivee owners say about this, and what model would you recommend?

i'm mainly a solo singer songwriter. thanks.
Old 11-10-2020, 12:29 PM
Charter Member

You'll find a lot of love for Larrivee here on the AGF. They are one of the best values out there (quality guitar at a fair price). In terms of tone, not all guitar brands are the same -- really a personal preference. In the same way that Martins different from Taylors, the Larrivee tone is distinct from either of those. All are quality guitars. Good luck with your search! Cheers!
Old 11-10-2020, 12:30 PM
Charter Member

I've never owned above the "05" in Larrivee. The "03" Larrivee's are great but do have (as I'm sure you're aware) a satin finish instead of a gloss which the 05 and up have. I would still own a D-03 if it had a 1 3/4" nut. Loved the guitar but found the string spacing a little cramped. This nut size/string spacing follows through on their dreads all the way up the line. I can't imagine going wrong with any of the 03 models and believe that are a great value in an all solid tone wood North American built guitar. Sorry I can't be of more help regarding the upper end models verses the lesser one?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 11-10-2020, 12:53 PM

I have owned a 50 series dread wh I loved and still kick myself for selling. And have owned a 05 series OM which was nice but did not do it for me. The 40,50 and 60 series lean more to a Martinesque sound which is probably why I liked that dread so much.
Old 11-10-2020, 12:54 PM

I have the L series body which is marginally smaller than a dread with the 1 3/4 inch neck. Check the Larrivee website for exact dimensions if interested.

I love the sound, the quality materials and the size which makes it comfortable to hold. It’s a keeper for me. Ultimately, how it sounds and feels to you is the most important as noted by another member. We all hear a little differently and have ergonomic preferences. If you can play a guitar before you buy it, whether a Larrivee or another brand that would be my recommendation. Good luck.

Larrivee, LV-03E Sitka/Peruvian Walnut
Bourgeois, Dreadnaught DB Signature, Italian Spruce/Madagascar Rosewood
Old 11-10-2020, 01:57 PM

I have a few Larrivees, L bodied & OM. 03, 05 & 10 series. ( Among other brands)
The 40 series are braced differently than the others = a slightly more enhanced bottom end.
Pre Sept. 2017 have a compound radius fretboard 17-21'", after that a straight 16" radius.
The dreads have 1 11/16" nut and the L's and OM are 1 3/4".

My favorites are the L body, and I think the upper end, 10 series ( Larrivee states uses their best woods) sound wonderful. IMHO, YMMV.

Not knowing where you are, it's hard to recommend a *good* dealer for a *fair* price, or to try them out.
If you don't have one close by, but can do a day trip to one I'd suggest you do.
Everyone has their own tastes and *hearing*.
Good luck on your chase.
Old 11-10-2020, 02:06 PM

I agree with the -03 series being similar to the higher models without the bling.
I have owned at least 6 or 7 Larrivees, my favorite being a D-03R.

If I was in the market for another I would probably check out the D-40 Legacy series.
Old 11-10-2020, 02:07 PM
Charter Member

Better play one prior to purchase. Fretboards are flatter than on most guitars.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 11-10-2020, 03:06 PM

I have owned several Larrivees but no dreadnoughts. My favorite of all of them has been a Forum III, a simple but beautiful satin finished South American mahogany/Alpine spruce 00 that I polished to a soft luster with Virtuoso cleaner/polish. The polishing enhanced the thin finish and allowed the guitar to mature more quickly in my estimation. It has been a pleasure to feel, play, and look at for the 10+ years I've had it.

On the other hand, I've owned Canadian L-09's and USA-made 00-09's and a couple of standard -03's and enjoyed them all. Larrivee rosewood does sound spectacular. I do think that it is a shame, though, that Larrivee has decided that their great guitars have needed to follow the American brands in their serarch for a more homogeneous tone and feel.

Last edited by Nctom; 11-10-2020 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Mispelling.
Old 11-10-2020, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockysdad View Post
I have a few Larrivees, L bodied & OM. 03, 05 & 10 series. ( Among other brands)
The 40 series are braced differently than the others = a slightly more enhanced bottom end.
Pre Sept. 2017 have a compound radius fretboard 17-21'", after that a straight 16" radius.
The dreads have 1 11/16" nut and the L's and OM are 1 3/4".

My favorites are the L body, and I think the upper end, 10 series ( Larrivee states uses their best woods) sound wonderful. IMHO, YMMV.

Not knowing where you are, it's hard to recommend a *good* dealer for a *fair* price, or to try them out.
If you don't have one close by, but can do a day trip to one I'd suggest you do.
Everyone has their own tastes and *hearing*.
Good luck on your chase.
Great post, Rockysdad. I didn't realize Larrivee went to a 16" radius.

bobbyg67 (OP), I recommend you purchase from a retailer that has a good return policy. The 40 legacy series is sweet.
Old 11-10-2020, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyg67 View Post
I have recently become intrigued with larrivee guitars. i have done some research and all reviews are excellent. i'm about ready to pull the trigger on a dred but have no experience with the guitars other than what i've seen and heard online. no dealers in my area.

one thing i read is that the higher end dreds aren't all that different in tone,sound etc. than the lesser expensive models. i don't really care about all the bling anyway. what do you larrivee owners say about this, and what model would you recommend?

Hey Bobby G,
As a singer/songwriter what genre are you composing in? I ask because dreds with 11/16 nuts (I have one) run tight in the string spacing. Not much of an issue for bluegrassers who play mostly out of the open G shape. If you play more complicated chord shapes or finger style, the wider 3/4 nut is much more comfortable.

A dred is a big sound, some music styles demand it but mid-size guitars (L and OM) still have a good amount of bass on tap but also cut through the mix better and are definitely more comfortable to play. I would recommend you get out and play some different guitars before committing to a certain model.
Old 11-10-2020, 03:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyg67 View Post
i'm about ready to pull the trigger on a dred
one thing i read is that the higher end dreds aren't all that different in tone,sound etc. than the lesser expensive models.
what model would you recommend?
I own 4 Larrivee Dreads and have a 5th one on order
"one thing i read is that the higher end dreds aren't all that different in tone,sound"
That is basically correct for the most part. Larrivee is very consistent guitar to guitar.
With that being said: One of the Big differences between the higher end and lower end is Gloss vs. Satin finishes. What John Jr. Larrivee has told me is that The Satin finish has a more woody sound. The High Gloss finish gives a slightly glassier Sound.
Also, Satin usually breaks in faster tone wise, as compared to Gloss. Satin has less finish on it thus the top and back sides will vibrate easier.
" i'm about ready to pull the trigger on a dred "
There are two different formulations for their Dreds. The Standard series which includes 03,05,09, and more. These have been in the line for many years and have the Trademark Larrivee super balanced sound.
Newer in the Line is the 40 series. A different Bracing combining some of the characteristics of Martin deeper bass with the Balanced Larrivee is known for.
"what model would you recommend?
i'm mainly a solo singer songwriter. thanks."
I have two in the standard and two in the 40 series. Both are great, However I am personally favoring the 40's extra lower end these days. I am also a singer songwriter and I enjoy the fullness of the extra bass especially when playing alone.
What back and sides you get is something that I can not recommend. That is a personal preference. They make these guitars in Mahogany, Walnut and Rosewood. Sometimes you can even find some custom runs with other woods. As you know, there are those that favor Mahogany for singer songwriters and those that favor Rosewoods for singer songwriters.
Larrivee offers an option to order with a Moonwood Spruce Top. Moonwood is a Red spruce of sorts. What I find this has to offer is a more fundamental tone over the Sitka spruce. The fundamental tone cuts down on the overtones and gives an apparent clarity that I am very fond of. Helps separate the Guitar from the singer. I have two with Moonwood tops Dreads, and a third one on order with Moonwood as well.
You can also custom order any Larrivee Dred with a 1 3/4 nut for a slight increase in price.

Last edited by AcousticDreams; 11-10-2020 at 03:44 PM. Reason: added information
Old 11-10-2020, 04:08 PM
Charter Member

I consider Larrivee the true gold standard for factory made guitars. Real innovations, consistency, and style all their own. Professional level for fingerstyle at a fraction of boutique cost.

One person above mentioned the size of the L body. It is actually *larger* than a traditional dread, being 16" in the lower bout and 4.75" in depth. I believe their dread is also 16", which is larger than the traditional 15 5/8ths from Martin.
Old 11-10-2020, 04:21 PM
Charter Member

I just got a used L-04 12 string and am in love with it. It’s bigger than any of my other guitars - I usually gravitate toward oms - but the shape makes it pretty darn comfortable. It’s got a narrow waist and upper bought. Tone is amazing, and I don’t like bling, so it’s pretty great.
Old 11-10-2020, 04:34 PM
Charter Member

leaning toward the D-40 OR the D-03. I don't mind the 1-11/16 neck. had an hd-28 for a while and worked fine. have to decide what tonewoods and start looking.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion