The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 11-08-2020, 06:24 PM
Charter Member

Personally I generally prefer listening to good pure instrumentals music and can do that all day long. I like vocal music too
but usually that music tends to be more one dimensionally focused which eventually loses my interest and the lyrics too often
are problematic.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above

Last edited by rick-slo; 11-08-2020 at 08:50 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-08-2020, 07:30 PM

Well crap I guess I'll have to stick to my mediocre singing and playing. .

The point you are all making makes sense, and I learned something from you. I'll keep that in mind if I do any performing again. Do more vocal with guitar and sparingly play instrumentals.

As far as boring I feel the same way about classical music. It's impressive but I can only stay focused on it for so long. I find Opera incredibly boring although I can see the skill and talent involved.
Old 11-08-2020, 09:02 PM

That guy is a great player, no doubt. Better than me I'm sure. There was something about it though, it didn't hold my interest till the end. This one, however, I can almost hear the singer even though there is not one. It doesn't have the virtuoustic thing like most of Tommy's stuff, but the melody is really captivating. It's very difficult to do. I know, I've tried many times.

Old 11-09-2020, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklotz View Post
That guy is a great player, no doubt. Better than me I'm sure. There was something about it though, it didn't hold my interest till the end. This one, however, I can almost hear the singer even though there is not one. It doesn't have the virtuoustic thing like most of Tommy's stuff, but the melody is really captivating. It's very difficult to do. I know, I've tried many times.

Well here we go with a difference of opinion: Tommy is an incredible player. No doubt about it. Be he doesn't do anything for me. Maybe my opinon will change at some point? It wouldn't be the first time.

Last edited by Cecil6243; 11-09-2020 at 05:44 PM.
Old 11-09-2020, 05:07 PM
Charter Member

Probably my favorite composition by Tommy - just beautiful

Old 11-09-2020, 05:29 PM
Charter Member

Hi all

I don't know about the rest of you, but I like a lot of forms of music, including instrumental.

But I don't limit myself to listening to a single genre or style.

And just like the weather (in most places) I go through seasons where what I play may center around a singer/player or song.

It's great to know we have available to us (literally at our fingertips) for about $10 a month, more music than I ever imagined. In 2000 I owned about 500 albums, which I paid from $5 to $20 for each. And I was hard pressed to afford enough digital storage to keep them available…and I had 3 high end devices to play all that music back.

Now it's in my phone, and I carry it around in my pocket.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 11-10-2020, 01:05 AM

I listened to more of Soren Badker Madsen, and he's such a great player. As background music, I think people would appreciate it a lot, including non-guitarists. I do agree with most here, I just don't see that music work as a destination act for 99% of audiences.

Instrumental fingerstyle is a real catch-22. You need a strong recognizable melody to catch people's ears, but if you do covers, it very quickly sounds like a novelty. Fingerstyle never really captures the "feel" of a pop or rock song, because you can neither get a solid groove going nor mimic the phrasing of a singer. It will always sound thin, as if something's missing. There's a reason fingerstyle guitar music traditionally consists of 90% playing arpeggios, it's a way to fill aural space.

Instrumental music is a lot more tolerated in a band when it's improvised, like jazz and blues, or when it's a style that people recognize as its own genre, like flamenco, so people can say they went to "a flamenco concert", or "classical guitar", when the performer plays the repertoire in a chamber music setting.

Weirdly enough, even if they don't sing but do have a stage presence, performers can get away with tastefully banging out strum patterns and melodic lines with a pick, than doing the most sophisticated fingerstyle. There's something about that percussive snap and jangle that just fills a room so much more.
Old 11-11-2020, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil6243 View Post
Well crap I guess I'll have to stick to my mediocre singing and playing. .

The point you are all making makes sense, and I learned something from you. I'll keep that in mind if I do any performing again. Do more vocal with guitar and sparingly play instrumentals.
Definitely. When you have your own fans in the audience, that's when you can usually do more with instrumentals. Otherwise, people tend to want songs.

Check out this guy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nY7GnAq6Znw
Astonishing instrumental technique, right? But even he knows you maximise your audience - maybe 10-fold - if you sing too. (from 1:25). That's how he gets to nearly 18m views. Instrumentally, maybe he'd only have managed a million or two...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil6243 View Post
As far as boring I feel the same way about classical music. It's impressive but I can only stay focused on it for so long. I find Opera incredibly boring although I can see the skill and talent involved.
It's worse for me, I actually detest opera. Classical music generally bores me, but there's lots I can listen to it for a while before I get bored (and I like playing classical guitar pieces). But as soon someone starts singing, I switch off. I can't stand that artificial style.
Old 11-11-2020, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
...But as soon someone starts singing, I switch off. I can't stand that artificial style.
Ha-ha, my thoughts exactly!
Old 11-11-2020, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
LJ hits the nail on the head. My wife had a priceless comment after I dragged her to see TE (she only went of pity because it was my birthday) “Not as bad as I expected “
on a similar thread. we went to see Julian Bream with a few friends of ours about 15 years ago. The wives went to appease my buddy and myself (we've been band mates since the dawn of man).

As we were leaving, I asked the girls if they were about to die of boredom.
They both said no, that is quite more enjoyable than they had imagined.

Of course, it's kind of hard not to be a bit amazed by guys like Bream and Tommy E.. but we're players, we live in a different world.
Old 11-11-2020, 10:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasn View Post

Fingerstyle never really captures the "feel" of a pop or rock song, because you can neither get a solid groove going nor mimic the phrasing of a singer. It will always sound thin, as if something's missing. There's a reason fingerstyle guitar music traditionally consists of 90% playing arpeggios, it's a way to fill aural space.
On the other hand, try this on for size

Old 11-11-2020, 11:02 AM
Charter Member

...in the world of musical performance nothing trumps a gifted vocalist...great...truly great guitarists are plentiful....am amazing set of pipes not so much....

...that said....I enjoy listening to a fine solo guitarist but in a performance setting I can rarely eat a whole one....a fine instrumentalist accompanied by a stellar band....someone like Jesse Cook for instance...is far more entertaining....
Old 11-11-2020, 12:25 PM

nice, so good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
On the other hand, try this on for size

Old 11-11-2020, 12:46 PM
Charter Member

Wonderful melodies and passion abound in opera.

A few favorites of mine:
https://youtu.be/-rtnhtGyfWA?t=29

https://youtu.be/C1ZL5AxmK_A?t=35

English Translation: I feel my blood like ice coursing through every vein/
The shade of my lifeless son afflicts me with terror / and to make my agony
worse, I see that I was cruel / to an innocent soul, to my heart’s beloved.

Last edited by rick-slo; 11-11-2020 at 10:03 PM.
Old 11-11-2020, 02:21 PM

Nah, doesn’t do it for me. Too far removed from the human condition. I’d rather hear a baby crying (well, laughing would be better).

No denying the quality in those performances, though.

I appreciate dedication and perfect technique, especially in guitar playing, but I prefer more natural-sounding voices. For me, it’s similar to the way food and perfume smell differently.

Of course, it’s subjective. I’ve met a number of people who hate the kinds of voices I like:

That said, I might listen to some of the stuff Derek posted. Maybe very late at night or something.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write