The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-03-2019, 11:12 PM

Congrats! I have the GREEN BROTHERS - a matched set of green X20 and an X20-12 custom. If those were all that I ever had going forward, I'd be a happy camper.
Old 11-04-2019, 04:26 AM

Congratulations, I love that green color, one of my favorites from Emerald. Your comments about the sound quality is very impressive considering the stable of guitars you own.

Now go forth and play a bunch of songs from “Green Day”. Sorry couldn’t help myself
Old 11-04-2019, 10:20 AM

I particularly enjoy playing "Danny Boy" on my Irish-built green Emerald guitars. Or Van Missions's "Brown Eyed Girl".
Old 11-04-2019, 10:32 AM
Charter Member

Wow, that's beautiful! Gives a whole new meaning to, "emerald" green. Gorgeous.

I know the X-7 sounds great for its size, so I'm sure this one is equally amazing. I know you'll enjoy.

As Rockysdad suggested, let me know when you need to change your user name.
Old 11-04-2019, 05:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
Congratulations, I love that green color, one of my favorites from Emerald. Your comments about the sound quality is very impressive considering the stable of guitars you own.

Now go forth and play a bunch of songs from “Green Day”. Sorry couldn’t help myself
Dave, I went back-and-forth yesterday between playing the Emerald X-20 and my Taylor 717e, and I'll let you in on a secret if you promise not to tell anyone? The Emerald X-20 has a louder and richer tone than the Taylor 717e! It may have something to do with the Emerald X-20's soundport/soundhole placement but I leaned over in front of the Taylor and it didn't seem to have as much of what the Emerald delivered--and the Taylor 717e was the one guitar I would've kept over all the others until this comparison. I'm completely happy with my Emerald X-20's tone, and can heartily recommend Emerald guitars to anyone wanting a stellar build-quality, great tone, and less maintenance, and you get the exoticness and cachet of owning an Irish guitar brand that takes its place amongst Lowden, Avalon, and McIlroy.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 11-05-2019 at 05:04 PM.
Old 11-05-2019, 05:14 PM
Charter Member

Given the tone of the Emerald X-20, the Emerald X-30 must be a bone-crusher of an instrument and I mean that in a good way. The only thing that would make me hesitant about getting an X-30 is its body-size dimensions which are quite deep, and also wide in the lower bout. My Taylor 618e is quite large but the Emerald X-30 tops the Taylor on size, Given the comfortable body-sculpting that Emerald builds into their guitars, the Emerald X-30 may fit comfortably well against a player's body. Please, any players with both an Emerald X-20 and Emerald X-30, please comment on their relative comfort for you. Thanks.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 11-05-2019, 07:38 PM

I have an X30 and two X20's. The X30 is definitely deeper and feels one-half "size" too big to me. It feels bigger than my Taylor 615 jumbo, but blows that great guitar out of the water tone-wise. With the contours and bevels it feels smaller than a x18 Taylor. X30 is a tone monster with powerful bass and lots of volume overall - it "goes to 11". By comparison, the X20 just fits me perfectly, as if it were designed just for me. That is my geometry, my physical limitations, and my playing style. I play ~70% bare nails fingerstyle and ~30% strumming, usually using the classical position (guitar on my left leg) or with a strap.

I recently played my X30 for almost an hour, and for the first time in years had a guitar sitting on my right leg. That mitigated the size a bit, as would standing up with a strap. Hope this helps.
Old 11-05-2019, 07:50 PM

The color is amazing. Enjoy!
Old 11-06-2019, 03:34 AM
Charter Member

Thanks, Folks, for all the nice comments!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 11-07-2019, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Given the tone of the Emerald X-20, the Emerald X-30 must be a bone-crusher of an instrument and I mean that in a good way. The only thing that would make me hesitant about getting an X-30 is its body-size dimensions which are quite deep, and also wide in the lower bout. My Taylor 618e is quite large but the Emerald X-30 tops the Taylor on size, Given the comfortable body-sculpting that Emerald builds into their guitars, the Emerald X-30 may fit comfortably well against a player's body. Please, any players with both an Emerald X-20 and Emerald X-30, please comment on their relative comfort for you. Thanks.
I'm used to playing dreadnoughts and by the look of your signature you are as well. I do find both comfortable but I feel right at home with the size of the X30. I have no issues with the X20 size but it is borderline for me, I wouldn't go any smaller. With the way your collection is growing, there's only one other left to do...but be careful. Other guitars could get jealous easy!
Old 11-08-2019, 01:00 AM

I have not had the luck to experience X20 or X30. You guys are making me drool...

Well, you are now a CarbonatedTop and it is very transparent that you picked a winner from this batch!

Congrats and enjoy your green!
Old 11-08-2019, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Dave, I went back-and-forth yesterday between playing the Emerald X-20 and my Taylor 717e, and I'll let you in on a secret if you promise not to tell anyone? The Emerald X-20 has a louder and richer tone than the Taylor 717e! It may have something to do with the Emerald X-20's soundport/soundhole placement but I leaned over in front of the Taylor and it didn't seem to have as much of what the Emerald delivered--and the Taylor 717e was the one guitar I would've kept over all the others until this comparison. I'm completely happy with my Emerald X-20's tone, and can heartily recommend Emerald guitars to anyone wanting a stellar build-quality, great tone, and less maintenance, and you get the exoticness and cachet of owning an Irish guitar brand that takes its place amongst Lowden, Avalon, and McIlroy.
I know how much you have loved your Taylor 717, I have played them and been impressed as well. With the X-20 being “richer and louder” your 717 will be getting jealous.

I had no interest in getting an Emerald guitar..........until this thread. I have spent some time on the website drooling over the veneers. An X-20 with quilted maple in their vintage edge burst finish is calling me. Thanks, I think
Old 11-08-2019, 03:56 AM

Quote:
I don't have x30 but this reviewer compares sizes and comfort with a Martin D

Old 11-08-2019, 07:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Song View Post
I don't have x30 but this reviewer compares sizes and comfort with a Martin D

Song,

Thanks for posting this Well Done And Excellent Review by AGF member Byudzai! In every tonal comparison, I chose the Emerald X-30 over the Martin HD-28E. I'll have to do my own comparison with my Emerald X-20 and my 2014 Martin HD-28.

In describing my Emerald X-20's tone, I'd have to say that every aspect of its tonal spectrum sounds "fat" in a good way, and it's a very "dreadnought-like" tone but with clarity throughout. This is my first Emerald carbon guitar but not my first carbon-guitar brand: I've had a dozen, high-end, all-carbon RainSongs, and three Composite Acoustics. My Emerald X-20 beats them all on quality and attention to detail on craftsmanship--look at the Emerald's carbon-fiber, weave-alignment from one plane to another. My Emerald X-20 sounds carbon-guitar-like but with a nice hint of woodiness to its tone. A tip to anyone considering a carbon guitar: If you're wanting the true all-out tone of carbon fiber, get a RainSong WS1000 Classic Series and enjoy its crystalline shimmer along with full tone. Composite Acoustics offers a more "woody-like" tone.

In summary, and to cap my new enthusiasm, if I get another carbon guitar, it'll likely be an Emerald X-30! By the way, my Emerald X-20 was only $2150 USD plus $55 USD shipping, and this includes an excellent Hiscox LiteFlite Hardshell Case and an Emerald Moville Pottery Mug! Adding a wood veneer adds significantly to the cost of an Emerald but that may be what players would love to see and it looks great!

Regards,

SpruceTop
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5

Last edited by SpruceTop; 11-10-2019 at 12:50 PM.
Old 11-08-2019, 07:42 PM

Well said, SpruceTop. Not only are they great guitars (either the X20 or X30) they are also a good value for superb build quality. My favorite all-koa Taylor would be over $5K these days, and about $1500 more if custom ordered with an arm bevel. As I have often said, my X20 beat the pants off a used custom shop OM-28 in a recent trial by a friend considering a purchase. Everyone in the room - players and non-players - agreed that the X20 won in every category. Except perhaps tradition.

Credit where credit is due: the reviewer is our own AGF member Byudzai, who did such a great job comparing them. His video influenced my decision to go ahead and get an X30 from stock last December.

Last edited by Earl49; 11-08-2019 at 07:53 PM. Reason: typppos

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber