The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-23-2020, 10:28 AM

Default Buying a guitar.. Again?

Hi All,

Thanks for adding me to the Forum.

I'm looking for some advice really. I started playing the guitar a few years ago, and was playing for a good 2 years. Due to personal reasons I had to sell all my guitars, leaving me with nothing.

I'm now looking to buy another acoustic again- im just not sure what sort of thing to get. I will only really be playing indoors, so don't need anything fancy but i want something with a nice sound, preferably a dreadnought shape, but am open to ideas.

Would also be looking for it to be fairly good for a beginner, as I'm going to need to re learn some bits..

Budget will probably be £500ish, but could stretch that if i find something i like.

Thank you in advance!

Max
Old 11-23-2020, 10:57 AM

Welcome to the forum.

I wouldn't recommend something with a dreadnought shape unless you have a specific need for one. A dread is a great guitar, but it's not an instrument for sitting in your house and playing privately.
Old 11-23-2020, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflehead View Post
Welcome to the forum.

I wouldn't recommend something with a dreadnought shape unless you have a specific need for one. A dread is a great guitar, but it's not an instrument for sitting in your house and playing privately.
Thanks - what would you recommend? anything specific?
Old 11-23-2020, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Welcome to the forum.

If you're sitting at home playing privately, what difference does the shape make? If you're playing just for your own enjoyment, suit yourself.
Old 11-23-2020, 11:33 AM

Quote:
...A dread is a great guitar, but it's not an instrument for sitting in your house and playing privately.
I'd disagree. I typically sit at home and play privately, and I prefer JUMBOS. You want something with a nice, big, full sound, we're talkin' 17.25 inch lower bout jumbo, baby!

Want bigger sound? Go with 12-strings!

jumbo Guild F50R

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 11-23-2020, 11:38 AM
Charter Member

I prefer a 000 size as they are much more comfortable for me and much less "boomy" than a dreadnaught. There are some really good options out there now in the $500 range. I would look at Eastman, Blue Ridge and Yamaha as some of the better quality brands.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 11-23-2020, 11:51 AM

I think it all depends on your height/arm length/etc. Max. I'm 5-7, average build, average arms for my height. I love my TD-R (dread) sound the best of all my guitars...but it's not the most comfortable for me to play for long stretches. My OMs are the most comfortable and sound great as well, but they lack that extreme low bass and also that extra projection and volume that only a large body can give (laws of physics).

I've found GAs to be the "middle ground". And here's something interesting, I find that playing while sitting and standing affect my guitars' tones differently. In general, the larger the body, the less it's affected by me standing. I think when I stand, more of the guitar's back is pressed against my body which has a dampening effect. The larger the overall body of the guitar, the lower this effect is on the overall volume and tone.

So when sitting, my OMs nearly get as loud and deep as the dread (at least at normal playing volume). But when I stand, I find my OMs lose quite a bit of bass and punch than my dreads. My GA falls somewhere in between.

So in general if I'm standing and won't be playing for more than a half hour, it's a dread. If it's a longer standing set, it's a GA. If I'm sitting, and especially if I'm mic'd up, it's the OM.

So if you find dreads to be comfortable to play for long stretches, I'd look there first. If not, I'd look at GAs or OMs.

Good luck!
-Organic Sounds Select Guitars
-Down Home Guitars
Old 11-23-2020, 11:57 AM

Max, thank-you for joining the AGF!

Regarding your question, do you have any experiences with Martin, Taylor, Gibson, etc? That may help us provide you with recommendations on what you like, or do not like. What manufacturers do you like?
Old 11-23-2020, 02:17 PM

Hey Max, welcome aboard. Unless it's a typo, you also look to be in the UK. You won't get a decent Martin or Taylor in that range unless you are extremely lucky second hand and you can forget a Gibson, though there are some nice Epiphones worth looking at, especially the new "Inspired by Gibson" range, which come in around £700.

So I'll give you some names in that range which will be more easily accessible here, the first three based on experience as a current owner, the fourth as a previous owner and the last by reputation: Yamaha, Guild, Faith, Furch (previously Stonebridge here) and Eastman. All will have guitars in your budget AND they will usually be solid wood and be playable out of the box. An idea of the sort of stuff you play will be some help, as would the rough area of the country you are in so we can recommend possible shops. Once you've tried a few guitars too, nut width is a useful parameter - do you prefer 1 11/16" or a 1 3/4" nut or wider?

And don't discount dreads as starter instruments or not being comfortable to play, especially slopes - my second-hand Faith slopes came in at under £600 for the pair and get as much play time as my Taylor GC and Collings C10 as "couch guitars". Do some research online and don't worry about asking questions. And finally do check the second-hand market as there are a LOT of bargains to be had for that budget. Good luck in your search!
Old 11-23-2020, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Welcome to the forum.

Shhhhhhh.... guess I’m doing it wrong 😉
Old 11-23-2020, 02:26 PM

Hi all,

Firstly, thank you very much for your replies. It means a lot and it’s nice to have so many people voice their opinions! I’m sorry I can’t reply to everyone individually, I’ve been working and have just stepped through the door.

The closest shop to me will be a PMT music shop in my area. I also have a shop called Allegro close. I’d probably be able to stretch the budget to £600 - just means more saving for me

The reason I mentioned Dreadnaught is due to the fact I’ve owned guitars before in similar shapes / large bodied I also like the deep sound they produce. But in fairness, if you can recommend anything that will produce a nice bassy sort of sound - I’m all ears!

I was looking at either the Martin Dreadnought Jr, or the Taylor GS Mini. But this isn’t for sure yet. I just want something that is easily playable, but will also last me a while. I like to try and keep things as long as possible, as to try and add character!

Regarding sizing of things - it’s been a long time since I researched or had a look at stuff like that. I wouldn’t remember the difference to be honest with you.

I’m 6ft 1, medium/large build bloke lol, if that helps !

Feel free to private message me if you feel it would be easier!

Thanks again folks and I’m glad to be a part of the forum!

Max
Old 11-23-2020, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnyman07 View Post
Hi all,

Firstly, thank you very much for your replies. It means a lot and it’s nice to have so many people voice their opinions! I’m sorry I can’t reply to everyone individually, I’ve been working and have just stepped through the door.

The closest shop to me will be a PMT music shop in my area. I also have a shop called Allegro close. I’d probably be able to stretch the budget to £600 - just means more saving for me

The reason I mentioned Dreadnaught is due to the fact I’ve owned guitars before in similar shapes / large bodied I also like the deep sound they produce. But in fairness, if you can recommend anything that will produce a nice bassy sort of sound - I’m all ears!

I was looking at either the Martin Dreadnought Jr, or the Taylor GS Mini. But this isn’t for sure yet. I just want something that is easily playable, but will also last me a while. I like to try and keep things as long as possible, as to try and add character!

Regarding sizing of things - it’s been a long time since I researched or had a look at stuff like that. I wouldn’t remember the difference to be honest with you.

I’m 6ft 1, medium/large build bloke lol, if that helps !

Feel free to private message me if you feel it would be easier!

Thanks again folks and I’m glad to be a part of the forum!

Max
Following up on this - I’ve played Yamaha and Washburn guitars - would be happy to try others
Old 11-24-2020, 08:52 AM

If you want to try some guitars out, which is probably a very good idea rather than buying over the internet, Hobgoblin is another chain of stores which is worth a look.
Things like the shape and size of the neck are just as important to how it feels as the size of the body, whether it be an OM, a dread or J45 style. Do you prefer a guitar with a rosewood or mahogany body?
That said, I'd look at Guild who have some nice guitars around the price you mentioned, maybe Eastman, or a 2nd hand Larrivée would be great.
Good luck, enjoy looking for a new guitar.
Old 11-24-2020, 08:54 AM

Based on your preference for deep bass, I would get the dread and also get a rosewood back and sides.
Old 11-24-2020, 09:24 AM

Default Buying a guitar.. Again?

I’d look at Eastman, faith and Yamaha in this price range. Mannsmusic have a FAITH MAHOGANY MARS on sale for a Fantastic price. It’s an outstanding guitar with a deep bass. Recommended!!!
Gibson J-45 JT project "1942 Banner" (Adi/Mahogany)
Eastman E20P (Adi/Rosewood)
Sigma-SDR-28MLE (Adi/Madagascan Rosewood)
Sigma SDR-45 (Sitka/Rosewood)
Sigma SDM-18 (European/Flamed Mahogany)
Freshman FA400D (Engelmann/Rosewood)
Freshman FA300 (Cedar/Hog)
Voyage Air VAD-06

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion