The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Old 11-16-2020, 06:30 AM

Default Price Drop: Early Pre-Peavey Composite Acoustics 8M-CE (GX) - Excellent Cond. - $2240

Up for sale is an early Pre-Peavey Composite Acoustics 8M-CE (later renamed GX). This was their top-of-the-line offering, and is fully constructed of carbon fiber. The instrument is in beautiful condition, and includes the original CA hardshell case. I'm asking $2240 (PP'ed and shipping inc'd, with insurance and tracking).

A few pictures are attached below, and many more can be viewed at:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/dmpxgia8t...ukheVvUra?dl=0

Here is the listing on Reverb.com, for those that may be more comfortable with that platform:
https://reverb.com/item/37195507-ear...8-carbon-burst

For a more-detailed description, see below:

This 2008 Pre-Peavey Composite Acoustics 8M-CE (later renamed the GX) model was hand-built in their Lafayette, Louisiana facility. This was in the golden era for the company, years before CA was taken over by Peavey in 2010.

This guitar is an 8M-CE, later called the GX, and was the absolute top-of-the-line for their model offerings. The guitar incorporates their stunning carbon-fiber construction, and merges it with high-end aesthetics.

Composite Acoustics had a unique approach to carbon fiber, using the material for not only the tops/backs/sides, but also for traditional acoustic-styled bracing for the top. The result was a sonic merging of the brilliance and articulation of carbon fiber, with the bracing giving the instrument a defined, yet powerful bass response. The necks and bodies, unlike traditional acoustic guitars, are impervious to weather and humidity changes and will never warp, crack, or shift. The necks are so stable that they do not have truss rods, this guitar will play the same 50 years from now as it does today.

This particular guitar is all-original and full gloss, and features the carbon-burst finish on the top and headstock, letting the detail of the carbon weave show through. Standard appointments include stainless steel frets, Gotoh tuners, carbon bridge and nut, and Tusq bridge pins.

The 1.75" nut lends itself to fingerstyle wonderfully, but the thinner neck allows for a more electric-like feel that makes lead lines or playing big barre chords a breeze.

LR Baggs iMix electronics came factory-standard with this model, and allowed for onboard blending between the Baggs' Element undersaddle pickup, and the iBeam transducer placed next to the bridge on the underside of the top. However, on this guitar I have substituted the LR Baggs' M1 magnetic pickup in place of the undersaddle Element. This allows the definition and high-def response of the magnetic pickup to be complemented by the acoustic timbres of the iBeam. I feel that this combination gives the guitar a more "acoustic-like" and truer sound than the original Element, but retains the advantages of feedback resistance. You can easily adjust the mix and eq on the fly in order to match whatever sound your particular environment may call for. Though, if you prefer the Element, I have included that pickup as well, which can be easily installed in a matter of minutes.

I know guitar electronics, especially acoustic guitar electronics, can be tricky. Most of us are always looking for "that sound", and when something goes wrong it can be a battle to find a new system or retrofit an existing one. So, as an added bonus, I'll be including a second identical pickup and preamp system I was able to track down. This contains a second Element, iMix preamp, and iBeam.

The only non-original part on the guitar is the addition of a MacNicol bone saddle. I'll include the original saddle, but I've found that the MacNicol saddle is perfectly matched to the 14" radius of the neck, and gives a better action, smoother playing feel, and improved bass response. I've included the original saddle as well, in the event you'd like to experiment with it, or reinstall the undersaddle pickup. You may also be wondering, "What's up with the one bone bridge pin?" The low E string's bridge hole is a very tiny bit bigger due to the factory-installaction of the iBeam pickup. I found that an oversize bone Waverly bridge pin from StewMac had a nicer fit, and I thought it looked kind of cool along with the ivory hue of the M1. But, I've also included the original Tusq matching bridgepin if you'd prefer it.

The guitar is in beautiful all-original condition, with no chips, dents, cracks, or scratches through the finish of any kind. As with most carbon fiber instruments, and piano black finishes in general, there is the expected amount of surface markings, etc. but nothing is through the finish. And as the pictures show, the gloss still looks great with no clouding or spots. The original archtop CA hardshell case is also included, with no rips, tears, or malfunctioning latches or hinges.

At this time, the CA is strung up with a new set of D'Addario Nickel Bronze Light Gauge 12-53 strings. I've experimented with a lot of string types over the years, and I believe that these particular nickel bronze's are really suited for the CA. They have a pleasing, articulate tone that only gets better with age, and lack the brittle top end that is sometimes present with phosphor bronze. This lets the natural brilliance of the composite materials shine through, and allow for fantastic note definition, even in the lower registers. As an added bonus, finger noise is greatly reduced.

Whether you've always loved the sound of carbon fiber guitars, or you're looking to enter the world of something different, this is a fantastic instrument in beautiful condition. The new, factory-built Peavey GX's sell for $2999.00, and as someone who's played several pre and post-Peavey CAs through the years, the particular guitar stands way above any of the newer models I've gotten my hands on.

If you'd like any more information, feel free to reach out.

A few pictures are included below, and many more can be viewed at:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/dmpxgia8t...ukheVvUra?dl=0
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo1.jpg (60.9 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg photo2.jpg (105.4 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg photo3.jpg (83.1 KB, 120 views)

Last edited by jpbaldwin86; 11-30-2020 at 08:27 AM.
Old 11-20-2020, 05:40 AM

To answer a question ... some have asked why the M1 is oriented upside down at the rear of the soundhole, as opposed to normal. I really like the M1 in this instrument, but have found that the pickup can get in the way of my picking hand a bit. LR Baggs' gives instructions on how to reverse the polepieces for left hand use, so I turned it around.

It's out of way more, and as a bonus I've found it makes the pickup sound more present. It cuts down on the body-sensitivity feature, which allows the iBeam do more of the heavy-lifting in this regard. It can easily be swapped back to normal, if you'd prefer.

Hope that helps!
Old 11-23-2020, 10:03 AM

A holiday price drop of 15%, down to $2380 (free shipping). Here's the listing on Reverb.com, for those that may be more comfortable with that platform:

Feel free to reach out with any questions.
Old 11-30-2020, 08:25 AM

A holiday price drop of 20%, down to $2240 (free shipping). Here's the listing on Reverb.com, for those that may be more comfortable with that platform:

Feel free to reach out with any questions.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars