The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-18-2024, 04:54 AM
Charter Member

There are a lot of guitars for sale out there. If someone has a guitar way over-priced it just won't sell.

Why should anyone else care. You don't have to deal with them, go deal with someone else.
Old 03-18-2024, 06:09 AM
Charter Member

You wished her luck with getting $7k for the guitar, but she was asking $2500….

It doesn’t matter if she is asking $50k. It belongs to her and she can ask whatever she wants. It doesn’t mean she will get it, but her property, her price.

On to the next one.
Old 03-18-2024, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic romp View Post
Statements like “good luck…” are passive aggressive
So? This is a commercial transaction. As long as there's not outright violence or hostility, it is what lawyers call an "arm's length transaction," which means inherently adversarial. Even if it were "passive aggressive" (and I don't think you can tell that in written text), it's not outside the bounds of polite commercial interaction.
Old 03-18-2024, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinnitus View Post
pics (IF there were any) were Sasquatch-quality.!
I LOVE THIS PHRASE! I'm stealing it and imagining all the places I can use it.

"Oh, that Presidential candidate? He's Sasquatch quality."
"You think that chick at the bar is cute? Eh. Sasquatch quality."
"My wife saw me looking at the chick at the bar and boy did she give me a Sasquatch-quality whoppin'."
Old 03-18-2024, 07:36 AM

Hostility is uncalled for, but I never have an issue with a direct, "let's see if we can get this done" approach. I am as friendly as anyone, but I know lots of people, buyers as well as sellers are either uncomfortable with the process and dealing with strangers or just aren't looking to exchange too many pleasantries and make banter. All business is fine with me.
Old 03-18-2024, 08:22 AM
Charter Member

OK, update. After some gentle prodding, the seller finally made a counter offer to me. I said let's meet so I can play it, inspect it, etc.
So... now i could use some detailed tips on exactly what I should be looking at when inspecting a 1976 Guild F-50, that's been stored in a closet for 25 years untouched. . I got a pretty basic idea but I would appreciate anyone who has more expertise than I with vintage guitars.

Thank you!!
Old 03-18-2024, 08:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medford Guitar View Post
OK, update. After some gentle prodding, the seller finally made a counter offer to me. I said let's meet so I can play it, inspect it, etc.
So... now i could use some detailed tips on exactly what I should be looking at when inspecting a 1976 Guild F-50, that's been stored in a closet for 25 years untouched. . I got a pretty basic idea but I would appreciate anyone who has more expertise than I with vintage guitars.

Thank you!!
Cool, always exciting to try out a potential guitar.
A few things to check

1) check that the truss rod adjustment nut is functional. does the seller have the correct wrench? If not, find out what size and bring one. A small turn will tell you if it’s working or if it’s maxed out, or stuck. Don’t force it.

2) I would bring a straight edge that runs from the neck to the bridge …..check the neck angle. see link below

3) Ruler to measure string height above the top. Also, the hight of the saddle and action at the 12 fret (see link below)

4) A mirror and small flashlight to look in the guitar for loose braces…and/or tap test for rattles

5) look at the frets to see how much play wear there is. Are there divots or indents

6) do the tuning machines turn smoothly

7) bring a tuner to check intonation - see note about old strings.

8) Do a visual inspection all around the edges (binding) , on the top and back, along the neck, head stock, where the neck and body meet. Check the bridge to see if there is any lifting….etc

9) I might take the strings off to see if the saddle has been shimmed.

10) play it. Does it buzz, does it stay in tune, does it feel good (old string comment below)

An issue with any of these is not necessarily a deal breaker but it should be factored in if repairs might be needed, especially if the neck angle is out of wack. For a guitar that has been sitting the stings might be old and corroded. I might change the sting before a final decision, if needed.

http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Musi...neckangle.html
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat

Last edited by Mbroady; 03-18-2024 at 09:09 AM.
Old 03-18-2024, 08:49 AM

Quote:

Thank you!!
Congrats on making a bit of a breakthrough.

Here is an older thread that may help: What's your checklist for assessing a used guitar?
Old 03-18-2024, 09:18 AM
Charter Member

Thank you so much for the help!
Old 03-18-2024, 09:30 AM
Charter Member

Wonder what makes her think it's worth 7k? Not in this lifetime. sitting in a closet for 25 years I wouldn't consider it anyway.
Old 03-18-2024, 09:48 AM

Quote:
So on FB Marketplace the is a 1976 Guild F-50. Looks nice from the pics but we all know how that goes until you play it. The ad said it's been sitting in a closet for the past 25 years, which makes me nervous in itself. Well, they want $2500. Willing to negotiate but no low-ball offers. I made an offer and explained I'm going to have to inspect it very well because it's been sitting in a non controlled climate and that could cause many possible problems. Seller rejected my offer clsiming it is in perfect condition because it's been untouched got 25 years and then told me she had researched it and the guitar is worth over $7K! And she refused to even counter offer.

I wished her well and good luck finding a buyer at $7K
$2500 is not outrageous if it's in excellent condition, but I would still ask for 10% off because it never hurts to try.

More importantly, I'd ask for more details about its condition. If it has been in the closet for 25 years, that leaves 20+ years that it wasn't in the closet. For a 50 year old guitar, I'd need to know about the neck angle, how much saddle is there, and how's the action? If it needs a neck reset, that should knock $500-800 off the price. Of course, you might have to inform the seller how to check the neck angle, but that's one thing that's pretty much a necessity to find out.....

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 03-18-2024, 09:58 AM

Oh, just noticed your update! I wasn't aware you could actually check out the guitar yourself! As I said, neck angle is the most important, then saddle height. Check for any small cracks where the fretboard meets the top.

Hey, it could be good! The jumbo braceless archback Guild F50 is a fabulous guitar! Best of luck!

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 03-18-2024, 10:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbroady View Post
Cool, always exciting to try out a potential guitar.
A few things to check

. . .

An issue with any of these is not necessarily a deal breaker but it should be factored in if repairs might be needed, especially if the neck angle is out of wack. For a guitar that has been sitting the stings might be old and corroded. I might change the sting before a final decision, if needed.

http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Musi...neckangle.html
While thats a great list, only a couple of those might be reason to look for any real price adjustment. I always assume a “vintage” guitar, or even just an old guitar, would need some care and attention, like lubing tuners or replacing strings, even a light fret dressing, or new nut or saddle - I would never assume someone had their guitar fully serviced just before putting it away for 25 years. But if someone showed up and wanted to dis-assemble a guitar I had for sale, I’d want cash in hand first in case anything got damaged in the process. If you need all that to determine if you want it, I’d expect you to pay a local luthier to do a written evaluation. You’re not dealing with a retail shop -
Old 03-18-2024, 11:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
While thats a great list, only a couple of those might be reason to look for any real price adjustment. I always assume a “vintage” guitar, or even just an old guitar, would need some care and attention, like lubing tuners or replacing strings, even a light fret dressing, or new nut or saddle - I would never assume someone had their guitar fully serviced just before putting it away for 25 years. But if someone showed up and wanted to dis-assemble a guitar I had for sale, I’d want cash in hand first in case anything got damaged in the process. If you need all that to determine if you want it, I’d expect you to pay a local luthier to do a written evaluation. You’re not dealing with a retail shop -

I understand the sentiment. The only dis-assemble suggested was to take the strings off and lift the saddle out. If a seller refused to let a potential buyer do that, or do that for the buyer, it would be a deal breaker for me. You just never know what's under the hood unless you look, especially on older guitars. I've seen rotted wood under the saddle once before.

Perhaps if you or i were the seller the guitar would have a set up with new strings. That not being the case, one can assess a guitar with 25 year old strings, but then again maybe not. Mabe they are 2 far gone to get a good read. The seller can keep the strings If i were to not take the guitar.

And yes, a guitar stored for 25 years will probably need some TLC. The question is, does the price reflect the condition. IF yes, then all is good.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat

Last edited by Mbroady; 03-18-2024 at 11:33 AM.
Old 03-18-2024, 11:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Paul View Post
I've responded to so many questions from friendly "buyers" ... many that involve taking measurements and/or photos ... that never acknowledge getting the answer to their question. I always welcome a simple, no conditions cash offer even if it isn't enough.
100%. Give me an offer any day

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion