The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-17-2022, 06:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post

I have yet to notice the 346 shape adding to that problem for me as I play and hear (those could be factors...) Do you have a theory as to why you're observing that with 346 shape picks?*
Hi Frank, I noticed it when I was playing around switching from a Fender Heavy 351 to a Fender Heavy 346. So I tried out my other 346 shaped picks against the similar 351 versions and had the same result - more pick click from the large triangle. I think that it is because, with a 346 there is more pick surface area showing under my fingers and that acts like a small soundboard. When I changed the amount of pick showing, it seemed to change the amount of click.

The problem with discussing anything pick relate is that everyone will have a slightly different grip and stroke, and so each of us could have a very different experience with different picks.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 01-17-2022, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
Always interested in reading your pick observations Robin. As a person who's largely converted to 346 shape picks on acoustic I was surprised as this observation. When cross-picking (something I do often) I generally don't want much pick noise (unlike some strumming where it can be desirable). Particularly when I use my iRig Acoustic Stage sound hole mic to make the best out of a bad recording situation, pick noise is something I notice and battle. As I'm nutty about picks I'll try other picks to try to minimize that, particularly on days when my picking isn't as good as other days due to my horoscope or local barometric pressure or whatever.

When I've tried to fix "too much click" I have noticed that besides technique that pick materials are most likely to make a difference as does point shape sometimes.

I have yet to notice the 346 shape adding to that problem for me as I play and hear (those could be factors...) Do you have a theory as to why you're observing that with 346 shape picks?*

*due to the easy to misunderstand nature of forums: this is not a "you're wrong" or "bet you can't prove that" demand or anything like that. Just another pick nerd wondering if there are more details or ideas regarding what you've noticed.

I did a thread about this awhile back. I acquired several different large triangle picks, including a BC and they’re all clicky to me. I’ve tried changing how much pick I’m exposing, the angle I’m strumming at and still notice it. I’ve just learned to live with it.

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 01-17-2022, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post
It is very much a personal thing, but I like some of the Wegen picks. I mostly play the M100 but also the Bluegrass 1.4 or 1.2 or 1.0. I also like casein and TS for their tone but they are quieter than BC or Wegen.

I have no idea what material Michel uses for the Wegen picks? I have wondered if it is a hard nylon, the sort of material that you would machine bushings from.
Wegen's emerged as my fav after trying several back in the day, but when Matt first started up his BlueChip shop, and I learned about it via the old Flatpick-L group, and emailed with him and saw him at Steve Kaufman's Kamp, I found his picks suited me the best.

Since then I have worked my way through several of his shapes and a few of the thicknesses and a bunch of picks, and since I like to keep a pick in the strings of the instruments, it's adds up, but a pick is extremely important to getting *your* specific tone and comfort, so I don't fret the expense. I have settled on TAD40's for both guitar and mando... and sometimes having a rounded corner is useful.
Old 01-17-2022, 07:03 PM

I like the Bluechip that I bought but not enough to every buy another one.
Old 01-17-2022, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanePeterson View Post
As for the people who don't like them, what are your preferred picks and thickness?
My favorite picks are Gravity Gold PEEK picks, 1.5 mm teardrop for guitar flatpicking and 1.5 mm rounded triangle for mandolin. My second favorite is Wegen M200. 2.0 mm thock, beveled like blue chips.
Old 01-17-2022, 08:31 PM

Casein has altered my right-hand temperance from 100% fingerstyle to 75% flat picking/25% fingerstyle.

Nothing but awesome reviews of Scott at Charmed Life and Nik at Apollo. Incredible picks, material, and customer service. I need to reach out to Scott for something new. It’s been a while!

Troy
Old 01-17-2022, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman1951 View Post
Most people don't enjoy pick click, but some do. You've hit on the great truth: there is more than one selection available for a reason. Use what you like. And if you like the cheap stuff (picks, wine, cars, etc.) consider yourself twice blessed.
Pick click is a symptom of holding a pick too loosely. You don't need or want a vice like death grip but you need to hold it firmly enough that you have full control. If it moves/slips between your fingers at all you need to grip it with more control.If your fingers are oily or particularly dry the pick will slip. I use Neutrogena swiss formula hand lotion on fingertips...not just before playing but use it regularly and your pick wont move. Also worth pointing out that the click people complain about is not coming from the (loose) pick hitting the string they're play but by the pick hitting the string below the string they just played. I have read people complain about clicking from Dunlop Ultex and jazztone picks with bewilderment; there is no click/chirp with those if you hold them correctly.
Old 01-18-2022, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesaHut View Post
After much researching the BlueChip picks I received my order last week.

I have a TD35 and a TD45, with a few strums on my Favorite Telecaster and also my Martin SC-13 acoustic/electric.

I have to say I was disappointed, compared to my other picks varying in thickness, 73mm and 1. mm, the sound is bright with a chime.

The new picks are noticeably muddy (thick) sounding? I don't like them.

I need to declare I am coming up on 68y and I wear hearing aids. I was told my hearing levels are down, not too much frequency loss.

What is the correct sound, answer, there is no one correct sound.

The sound that I get with all my standard picks of various thicknesses, is a bright clear sound.

Not brash

The Bluechip picks are dark and lack chime.

I wanted to like them, but for me not that great.

Most people love their BC pics, I must be among the minority.
I am sending one back, the TD45, and will keep the TD35 for my Acoustic (MartinSC-13e)

I might learn to love it

"Never take a fool with you when you go, because you can always pick one up when you get there"! Billy Connolly.
Old 01-18-2022, 05:05 AM

I just switched from a BlueChip Tad 50 to a TP 50, which is a bit smaller. I've found it makes a difference - not huge but enough that I notice it. I play an Eastman E1D with D'Addario EJ-17s (13-56).

I haven't tried the Charmed Life picks yet but am looking forward to getting hold of one soon and seeing how they compare!
Old 01-18-2022, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post
Hi Frank, I noticed it when I was playing around switching from a Fender Heavy 351 to a Fender Heavy 346. So I tried out my other 346 shaped picks against the similar 351 versions and had the same result - more pick click from the large triangle. I think that it is because, with a 346 there is more pick surface area showing under my fingers and that acts like a small soundboard. When I changed the amount of pick showing, it seemed to change the amount of click.

The problem with discussing anything pick relate is that everyone will have a slightly different grip and stroke, and so each of us could have a very different experience with different picks.
Hmm. That might explain it. I tend to expose more pick surface than most I think. I'm not sure why, I just do. If your theory explains it, I'm exposing more on a 351 that most do, enough to give more "soundboard" for click and enough that I don't notice the extra "soundboard" on a 346 distinctly.

Coincidentally, my grip also may explain why I like the extra grip surface of a 346 or even the only slightly modified 351 of the "Andy James" pick model.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 01-19-2022, 07:37 PM
Charter Member

It took me more than a couple of weeks. It took me a few months of working on my right hand technique. I went from strumming to learning how to pick individual strings and the payoff was worth it with the Bluechip picks. The tone and feel with the BC picks have made them my favorite by far. They're not the only boutique pick brand out there and I've played some others that are also great. I recently picked up an Apollo Norman Blake pick and so far, that is a great pick also.
Old 01-19-2022, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Liv View Post
I recently picked up an Apollo Norman Blake pick and so far, that is a great pick also.
Yes, love this one too!
Old 08-15-2022, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maicobmw View Post
In my opinion you can't play a BC or similar pick using the exact same technique like you would using a 'standard' pick. It took me nearly a year of trying a BC off and on before I figured that out. Keep experimenting with your technique and attack. The payback is tone, muddiness is not inevitable. Good luck.
Agreed. BC picks are meant to be driven through the strings at an angle, to take advantage of the bevel. Took me a while to get that down as well.

Oops, zombie thread
Old 08-15-2022, 01:29 PM
Charter Member

The BC remains my second favorite pick, after my Charmed Life Casein picks. But I applaud anyone for trying them, for that is the only way to know. You don't need to like them. Not everyone will like a D 28 either.

The SC Martins I've played were strung with what were to me, very light strings. The Blue Chip crowd may be bluegrassers with .013s on their dreads. The slickness of the BC as it comes off the string is very conducive to speed.

I've got no problem with anyone not liking them for whatever reason. My third favorite pick is a Primetone. I could use any of the above, but to stop at Primetone would be doing yourself no favors.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 08-15-2022, 02:44 PM

Blue Chip is alright. I plan to order another TD40, as well as replace the thumb pick I somehow lost. I'll probably find the lost thumb pick after the new one arrives.

That being said, I prefer Charmed Life's vespel and casein picks.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion