The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-14-2019, 12:46 PM

At some point there are so many types it is ad nauseum.

I am still into the NB and they bring out the XT

Last edited by uriah1; 11-14-2019 at 02:00 PM.
Old 11-14-2019, 01:59 PM

Tried the XT 80/20s and apart from feeling smoother and having less string noise found them very disappointing
Old 11-14-2019, 02:34 PM

So is it the consensus that Elixir Nanoweb PB's that work the best for coated strings?
Old 11-14-2019, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krb813 View Post
So is it the consensus that Elixir Nanoweb PB's that work the best for coated strings?
If you count two out of sixteen replies as a consensus, sure.

I don't think the jury is in yet on whether XT is better than Elixir. It looks like the people here who like Elixir are comparing them to EXP, which is not useful data because the XT are different. If I were guessing, I'd guess D'Addario knows people like Elixir better than EXP, and that's why they're launching "new and improved" XT.

In the end you're not gonna know for sure until you try them.
Old 11-14-2019, 03:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
As a player who requires coated strings, I've tried them all. MY experience is that Elixirs have no real competition in the longevity department. I think they sound pretty darn good too, for the most part.
Old 11-14-2019, 06:24 PM

Hi KCNBYS,

Are you using the Bronze or Phosphor's?

Thamks.

Last edited by krb813; 11-14-2019 at 09:17 PM.
Old 11-14-2019, 09:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hi KCNBYS,

Thamks.
I generally use Phosphor Bronze Nanowebs.
Old 11-15-2019, 02:57 AM

Re Mangans, I had a set of PB roundcore lights 12-53 and thought they were great strings indeed. The only negative was the large diameter on the low E-string which made for a too tight fit on my guitar.

Martin OM-28V
Yamaha FSX3
Godin Arena Pro CW Bourbon Burst
Manuel Rodriguez Magistral D-C
EBS Stanley Clarke Sig. Acoustic Pre
Alto TX210 powered speaker
Old 11-15-2019, 05:49 AM

There’s at least one other long thread here where people raved about them. Personally they’ve replaced Santa Cruz strings for me. I love em.
Old 11-15-2019, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcnbys View Post
As a player who requires coated strings, I've tried them all. MY experience is that Elixirs have no real competition in the longevity department. I think they sound pretty darn good too, for the most part.
Quote:
Hi KCNBYS,

Thamks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcnbys View Post
I generally use Phosphor Bronze Nanowebs.
Just to make a clarification of something that it seems maybe some may not be aware of; maybe, maybe not... There always seems to be a need to specify Elixir phosphor bronze nanoweb. As opposed to phosphor bronze polyweb. Elixir phosphor bronze are available in nanoweb only. There is no polyweb coating available for phosphor bronze. So Elixir phosphor bronze says it all.

And I agree. For me, there is no other string with the longevity of tone life than Elixirs. And unlike some people who don't care for them, I really like the tone, volume, and feel. I occasionally use some other string just to change things up but always end up back to Elixir phosphor bronze. They just seem like home to me.
Old 11-15-2019, 08:45 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4-string View Post
Re Mangans, I had a set of PB roundcore lights 12-53 and thought they were great strings indeed. The only negative was the large diameter on the low E-string which made for a too tight fit on my guitar.
I experienced that exact thing and never bothered with them again. I also didn't much care for the the rough feel of the Mangans.

Best,
Jayne
Old 11-15-2019, 03:38 PM

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I have some Elixir PB's on the way today to me.

-Kevin
Old 11-15-2019, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Not necessarily. What works for one may not work for another. I'm a long time Elixir user (both PB and 80/20 depending on which guitar). I was neutral on EXP strings meaning I preferred Elixir to them but didn't mind them. I prefer the XT strings to both on my guitars so far. I have 4 acoustics and have 3 strung up with XT's so far. I'm 3 for 3 and I estimate another month or so before I try them on my last guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion