The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-04-2019, 10:00 AM

Default Guitar setup....

Is there a book or dvd that explains basic electric guitar setup that members can recommend? Some I should stay clear of? I’m not interested in luthier type repairs, just basic string changes, intonation adjustments, string height, truss rod, etc....... I haven’t much luck in the forum search mode. Any opinions are greatly appreciated.
Old 11-04-2019, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airborne1 View Post
Is there a book or dvd that explains basic electric guitar setup that members can recommend? Some I should stay clear of? I’m not interested in luthier type repairs, just basic string changes, intonation adjustments, string height, truss rod, etc....... I haven’t much luck in the forum search mode. Any opinions are greatly appreciated.
I like the Stew Mac "How to make your electric guitar play and sound great" (or something close to that). Dan Erlewine is a boss.
Old 11-04-2019, 10:33 AM

It doesn’t get better than this.

https://www.stewmac.com/How-To/Books...lay_Great.html
Old 11-04-2019, 01:39 PM

I agree with the above posts. Dan's book is excellent.
Old 11-04-2019, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisN View Post
I like the Stew Mac "How to make your electric guitar play and sound great" (or something close to that). Dan Erlewine is a boss.
+1, I have that book. I also have this, which is an excellent resource by Dan Erlewine.

Old 11-04-2019, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airborne1 View Post
Don't forget Youtube; plenty of videos out there, in many cases that's easier to follow. Try Phillip McKnight, he has some great stuff and it's well-presented.

Also, use Google to type what you're interested in (say, "setting intonation on electric" and add the word "forum" to the end; you'll typically get plenty of threads from guitar forums and you can see what lots of different people do. Obviously, there's no "nonsense filter", so take it with a grain of salt, but a good source of ideas.
Old 11-04-2019, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleolith54 View Post
Don't forget Youtube; plenty of videos out there, in many cases that's easier to follow. Try Phillip McKnight, he has some great stuff and it's well-presented.

Also, use Google to type what you're interested in (say, "setting intonation on electric" and add the word "forum" to the end; you'll typically get plenty of threads from guitar forums and you can see what lots of different people do. Obviously, there's no "nonsense filter", so take it with a grain of salt, but a good source of ideas.
There's a lot of great info on YT, but there are also a lot of hacks who are damaging guitars, so I urge the OP to watch several videos on the same thing, and the read the Comments for each. It will quickly become clear who to follow, and who to avoid. McKnight is solid, he's a real tech who knows what he's doing, but some of the others . . . .
Old 11-05-2019, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleolith54 View Post

Phil is great. I've been following him for about 3 years now and watch most of his videos. I enjoy listening to his weekly hour long QA podcasts while driving.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars