The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 07-10-2019, 11:41 AM

When I saw Molly a few months back at a local jazz club, not only did she kill it with her band and endear herself to everyone with her congeniality, but she stayed around afterward and talked to anyone who wanted to say hello. Really nice person who is very down to earth.
Old 07-10-2019, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocarolan View Post
I have been watching this video a fair bit lately - the sheer joy that comes through from the players as they interact is infectious!

(if you can't spare the time to watch it all right now, skip to 21.30 or so for the final tune - magnificent!)
She is a huge talent. Undoubtedly a great guitar player with a voice like Emmylou Harris. I predict she will eventually have big time crossover success and will start playing for thousands if not 10,000+ and the smaller venue, more intimate shows she does a lot of now will be a thing of the past.
Old 07-10-2019, 01:46 PM

With a voice like EmmyLou? Oh, my. That's not what I hear. Molly's a splendid guitarist.
Old 07-10-2019, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archerscreek View Post
She is a huge talent. Undoubtedly a great guitar player with a voice like Emmylou Harris. I predict she will eventually have big time crossover success and will start playing for thousands if not 10,000+ and the smaller venue, more intimate shows she does a lot of now will be a thing of the past.
Maybe, maybe not. Is that her goal?
I would be curious to ask her about that.
Songs are where it's at and the rest can be done with connections and clever management.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 07-10-2019, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
Songs are where it's at and the rest can be done with connections and clever management.
A lot of "big" musicians like playing small clubs. I worked at a small club (about 200 people, max) in the seventies that Van Morrison liked to play. The club was usually closed on Wednesdays, but if Van wanted to play he'd call the owner and say "I'm coming up!' The owner would tell two people plus the staff and the place would be full that night.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 07-10-2019, 05:27 PM

She is great, would love to see her in person some day!

Martin acoustics
Fender and Gibson electrics
Old 07-10-2019, 05:37 PM

More than ever, sheer talent doesn't necessarily translate into financial success.

It looked like work for Molly to stand around after the show I saw and peddle signed CD copies. It was the last stop on a northeast bus tour. She looked tired and a touch cranky.

'36 Gibson L00, '50 J50
'63 Guild F30
Martins- '07 OM-21, '19 0-18,
'99 00015S 12 Fret Hog
Old 07-10-2019, 06:15 PM

Molly is the real deal without a doubt.
Old 07-11-2019, 05:24 AM
Charter Member

Default pretty sure..

Quote:
Originally Posted by phcorrigan View Post
A lot of "big" musicians like playing small clubs. I worked at a small club (about 200 people, max) in the seventies that Van Morrison liked to play. The club was usually closed on Wednesdays, but if Van wanted to play he'd call the owner and say "I'm coming up!' The owner would tell two people plus the staff and the place would be full that night.
Pretty sure Garth is about to do his "Dive Bar Tour". I think the only way to get tickets is win them on the local radio shows.....
Old 07-11-2019, 11:33 AM

She makes it seem effortless:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHN7fGzzEOA

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 07-11-2019, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
Yes, that would be an interesting question and answer. If she has a management team I'd bet the barn they've decided to start out slow and let her voice grow and let her get comfortable with everything. When I listen to or see some of her recent live recordings vs earlier ones, to me 1) she has a stronger voice and 2) she's not relying as much on her awesome guitar playing to sell a song and entertain. So I think their goal is for her to be known as something more than just a great guitar player. I only hope I can catch one of these shows before she takes off. Haha.
Old 07-11-2019, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phcorrigan View Post
She makes it seem effortless:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHN7fGzzEOA
I love her playing and singing. For those who wondered if she has plans for moving out of the bluegrass genre, I'm sure you noticed that she is plugged in for this song. Bluegrass is the one genre where plugging in is frowned upon.
The first time I saw Doc plugged in, I (and the majority of the bluegrass festival audience) was disappointed in his sound.
He later either got a better pickup or found a sound tech who knew how to operate a plugged in acoustic.
-1950 Gibson LG1
-1958 Goya M-26
-Various banjos, mandolins, dulcimers, ukuleles, Autoharps, mouth harps. . .
Old 07-11-2019, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHJim View Post
I love her playing and singing. For those who wondered if she has plans for moving out of the bluegrass genre, I'm sure you noticed that she is plugged in for this song. Bluegrass is the one genre where plugging in is frowned upon.
The first time I saw Doc plugged in, I (and the majority of the bluegrass festival audience) was disappointed in his sound.
He later either got a better pickup or found a sound tech who knew how to operate a plugged in acoustic.
Younger players are not so worried about whether people are plugging in, and plugged in sound is pretty good these days anyway.
Old 09-16-2019, 09:23 AM

HOLY CRAP! Never heard of Molly Tuttle until I kept reading about her here on the forum. Decided to check her videos out and was hooked! Got to see her at a free WDVX concert in Oak Ridge Tennessee this past weekend and I was blown away! Her guitar playing is incredible but I have to say her voice impressed me the most. The whole band was extremely talented. One of the best performances I have ever seen. Very tight band. Seeing her live made me even a bigger fan. Her and her band seemed to let loose and rock out more live than what I hear on her CDs which is still great. Took a buddy of mine that had just seen a video or two of hers and he was stunned at how great a performance it was and bought two of her CDs and is an instant fan. Another former co-worker was there and he too was shocked at how good it was. I was fortunate enough to get her autograph on a CD I bought from their tent after the show. And she is beautiful to boot!
2019 Yamaha FGx5
2020 Yamaha AC3M Deluxe
2019 Yamaha FG800
2005 Taylor 214
Ibanez AEB10E Acoustic Bass
Old 09-16-2019, 09:39 AM
Charter Member

I saw Molly play late last month. I drove six hours with two of my guitar loving brothers, who took my word for it as they had never heard of her. She is an amazing talent.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN