The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-15-2019, 04:11 AM

Default Singer guitarists

I feel I should know this, but for singer guitarists, do you find it easier to accompany your own voice than to accompany others?

For what it's worth, I'm a guitarist only.

Thanks for the responses.
Old 11-15-2019, 04:21 AM

I'm not entirely sure I I understanding quite what you mean, but I can say that for timing reasons, if there is a song that it singer-led more so than instrument-led, then it is much easier to accompany your own voice. If the song is structured so that the vocals directly follow the rhythm of the song, then I believe it is just as easy to accompany another singer as it is to accompany yourself.
Old 11-15-2019, 04:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel and wood View Post
I feel I should know this, but for singer guitarists, do you find it easier to accompany your own voice than to accompany others?

I think it depends on who the other “other” is. Much like when musicians jam with each other, if all players have the ability to listen and react to each other then the experience can be (easily) enjoyable. If a singer and player are not able to pick up on each other’s nuances then it becomes more difficult to create good art, IMHO
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 11-15-2019, 04:45 AM

Playing accompaniment guitar is every bit as much an art as any other approach to the instrument. It’s a complex task, governed as much by restraint, discipline and good musical taste as well as technical ability. It takes a lot of work and dedication to a good overall sound more than ego and musical glory-hunting, because it’s all for what works best for the song, not what’s going to impress your guitar-buddies sitting in the back of the room.

Because good accompanists work for what makes the music most effective, not playing to showboat and show off, they’re easily overlooked by those who don’t understand what a high level of craft and pure art go into it.

“But it don’t mean a thing if it ain’t got that swing,” and making the song WORK is what being a good accompanist is all about, whether it’s one person playing first position chords to back up their own singing, or someone working in an ensemble situation.

There’s a lot that goes into it, and done well is a much more challenging job than the inattentive listener will ever discern.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 11-15-2019, 04:46 AM

The song often dictates that.
Some songs have a rhythm that is counter to what is being played.
On those songs I can either play or sing. But not both.

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45
Old 11-15-2019, 05:33 AM

I'm not a singer so I've only ever accompanied others on a few occasions.

Interested if singer guitarists on the forum feel more at home or even prefer singing and playing guitar by themselves (where they're in control) or whether they are just as comfortable accompanying others I think I was trying to say.
Old 11-15-2019, 05:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Hi,

I took up guitar purely because I wanted to accompany myself.
I have played in many bands over the (many) years, but usally have found myself doing the singing.

at one time a few years ago, I had two trios and a bluegrass band AND my own solo repertoire.

I now only have he one long lasting trio and my solo stuff.

I run a club twice monthly and the "boys" usually play with me but last night due to the absence of " Mando Bob" I played solo.

bob is probably my longest pal but I do struggle sometimes with his soloing one some songs which are expressive or emotive.

This has made me very aware of the real duties of a sideman.

The first thing to realise is that when the singer is singing - his/her voice IS the main instrument and everything else should be only to serve the vocals.

Licks and fills should ONLY add to the emotion/feel of the piece.

Solo breaks are to give the vocals and the audience a change/rest and shod serve the spirit of the song.

I have encountered more than one fellow musician, who could not understand this - in fact one of them said to me "oh, I ever listen to the vocals!" This indicated that whilst a truly talented musician, he didn't understand his role.

mmm, thanks for an idea about another video!
Old 11-15-2019, 05:45 AM

Always found it really difficult to play and sing at same time it’s a real art in itself so to answer its much easier to accompany another rather than yourself. At least for me it is.
Old 11-15-2019, 06:54 AM
Charter Member

I'm with Wade and have come to enjoy accompanying my duo partner and others. As a guitar playing singer it was initially a discipline to listen carefully and find how my playing could support and enhance what the singer is doing. However, I find that the freedom in only doing the one thing-playing guitar enables me to play some pretty fun stuff.

For example, I accompany Jamie on Tears in Heaven, Whisky and You and Tennessee Whisky, Harvest Moon, Dimming of the Day and other songs in particular both because the guitar lines are fun and frankly because he sings them much better than I could!
Old 11-15-2019, 06:55 AM

I can't think of an instance where accompanying myself is easier than accompanying someone else.
Old 11-15-2019, 06:59 AM

I enjoy the freedom and flexibility that singing and playing by myself give me. Never really been a band guy. A couple of years ago my effort with a good friend to do duo work kind of fizzled out after a couple of gigs mostly because (as a band guy) he was super structured and as a single guy I was looser. With my vocals and his outstanding lead work we sounded pretty good but it was not destined to be.

Also, I was a little bit country and he was a little bit rock and roll....
Old 11-15-2019, 07:13 AM

Quote:
...singer guitarists, do you find it easier to accompany your own voice than to accompany others?
Never thought of it before, but if I'm playing rhythm, either way, but if I'm playing lead, definitely easier to accompany someone else.
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 11-15-2019, 07:23 AM

I find I can do a better job accompanying myself - because i know when I take liberties, when I am going to finish or take a break. With someone I accompany often, you get a sense of what is going to happen with the other singer, a "practice makes perfect" kind of thing.

With someone you are not used to, you need to pay close attention. In jam sessions, it is easier as most singers tend to be predictable in such situations.

The difficulty level in each of these situations does not vary greatly - for me, but I have done a lot of accompaniment.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 11-15-2019, 07:27 AM

I'm definitely a SINGER first then guitar player and for the longest time had a hard time playing guitar, correctly, while I was singing. Then I started playing contemporary Christian music at church every Sunday and practicing with the praise team every Wednesday and my guitar playing took off! I've become a much better player now and don't find playing with other people challenging any more. Practice and repetition will do that for you.

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 11-15-2019, 07:47 AM

I think it depends on the singer. I've played with some who think phrasing is supposed to be arrhythmic. That's hard to follow because you have no clue what's going to happen. Good phrasing is rhythmic, ergo easy-peasy to follow the singer.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion