The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-05-2019, 10:24 AM

Default Customer service above and beyond

I've plugged macnichol.com a few times for their inexpensive bone saddles. I've ordered four or five of them now, with one due in this afternoon.

Something I learned on my last order was they will do minor modifications to them at no additional charges to get the saddles as close to drop-in as possible if you can provide measurements. And so I ordered this last saddle on Aug 31, just as we went into the Labor Day weekend. He promptly wrote me back and said he would try to have it in the mail by Tuesday, right after the holiday. He wanted to make sure I got it so dropped it at the P.O. that morning.

He had send me a USPS tracking number, but the P.O., efficient as they are, didn't enter as being received even through yesterday. So I wrote him asking if I should be concerned and he said that sometimes entries are delayed. OK, I thought. I know how the P.O. operates. Even if lost or delayed I wasn't in that much of a hurry.

This morning I awoke to see an email that he had taken it upon himself without further prompting to check up on the tracking and notified me that it was already out for delivery. What other company would do this??? Out for delivery today.

Again, this is my fourth or fifth order with them and each and every time I've been more than pleased in every way possible. If you've been wanting to try a bone saddle and thought $30 was too much to experiment with, you should be delighted with both price and product of these bone saddles, offered in bleached, unbleached and also polished (for $5 more). And so I thought I owed to both to Macnichol Guitars (macnichol.com) and to the community to let folks know where they can get good products for an exceptional price and service that IMO is over the top.

I am not affiliated in any way with macnichol.com other than being a repeat customer.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 09-05-2019, 10:53 AM

Thanks for that. One more website into my favorites.
Old 10-23-2019, 02:16 AM

+1. MacNichol’s service and products are outstanding.

Via email or a phone call, they’ll give you helpful advice whether it results in a sale from their business or not. I’ve gotten no obligation samples of their bridge pins for sizing and to see various colors they offer. When what they sent didn’t fit or had a different look than I wanted.. no problem - he referred me to Bob Colosi.

My MacNichol unbleached bone nut looks awesome in my Taylor Baby and it matches beautifully with the dyed bone bridge pins I got from Bob Colosi.

Today, I reached out on another upgrade opportunity and they were just as nice to deal with. In fact, they are sending me a free blemished bone saddle for sizing on a rare-ish model Yamaha (F345SY). Lastly, if you don’t like what they send you, they’ll make it right with a refund or replacement.

I wholeheartedly recommend checking their products out on Amazon, on their web page, or by contacting them with any questions. I am not affiliated with them, I’m just a very happy customer.
Old 10-23-2019, 06:20 AM

I love posts like this. In a world where bad CS is often spoken about, good CS isn't always mentioned.

I can echo all of the above. MacNichol is great to do business with. I ordered a bone saddle for my J45 and will be ordering one for my Taylor.

He offers a great product at a great price. I have no need to shop anywhere else for bone saddles.
G7th Capos
Old 11-14-2019, 04:31 PM

Default MacNichol bone saddle, perfect on one of my Yamaha's

As a follow-up to my earlier mention of a new bone saddle from MacNichol, I received solid advice, a great product and the install went perfectly.

I originally provided rough measurements to MacNichol (I was limited to the tools I had on hand), and they sent free sample blemished products for sizing purposes. Based on how they fit and better measurements from a borrowed digital caliper, I ordered a new saddle.

MacNichol provided me qty 2 of the new saddle, in case I went too low in sanding one of them. This was not expected, but was a great surprise.

With a tiny bit of shortening of the length, and a bit of sanding for height reduction, the results were really really great. Picture above. I am happy with the look and the sound of the new bone saddle (and will be looking for some nice Bob Colosi bone bridge pins next!). At first, there was a bit of buzz after the install, but after a minor adjustment to the truss rod (neck was slighly back bowed).. the action is perfect.

Since I had a second bonus bone saddle on hand, and an extra Yamaha F325 to play with, I went through a similar fitting.. and though it fits just fine, on that particular guitar, the sound was better, more clear, with the stock plastic saddle. I don't know if I'm hearing things wrong, if the strings are dead, or what else it might be.. but I'll continue to tinker, knowing I have the plastic saddle still as a known good saddle.

Given this was a bonus saddle, it's all upside for me on this. I know that if I was not happy with my purchase, MacNichol would send a replacement part or refund me. Heck with some of the blemished samples he sent, I could try one of those in this second guitar too.

I'm happy as can be with their products and service.
Old 11-14-2019, 05:56 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrpilot View Post
I love posts like this. In a world where bad CS is often spoken about, good CS isn't always mentioned.

I can echo all of the above. MacNichol is great to do business with. I ordered a bone saddle for my J45 and will be ordering one for my Taylor.

He offers a great product at a great price. I have no need to shop anywhere else for bone saddles.
JJR, I love posts like this too. In a world where our media and online forums are spewing out a constant stream of negativity and woe, it's so important to spread good news.

Don't know this company, but bravo, and thanks to the OP for giving us the heads up.

sm
Old 11-14-2019, 10:08 PM

MacNichol is spectacular. Simply the best customer service I have ever experienced.
Alvarez MD60BG
Yamaha LL16RD
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Player Stratocaster
Old 11-14-2019, 10:30 PM

Does anyone know what Taylor uses for their saddles?
I have a Taylor 110e prototype with a mahogany top I bought 2 yrs go. It really sounds more mellow than the Sitka top version.
Do you think a MacNichol saddle would change the sound?
Thanks guys!
Old 11-14-2019, 10:40 PM
Charter Member

Does MacNichol’s duplicate saddles if you send them an original. I currently use B Colosi but it’s good to have a back up.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 11-14-2019, 11:31 PM

I would think probably yes. However, it’s best to contact them directly. He’ll certainly get a saddle close to what you have based on measurements and you can sand it to size for final fitting. He’s offers to send another if the first doesn’t fit right.
Old 11-14-2019, 11:48 PM

I don't mean to take anything away from any business with outstanding customer service but guys, saddles are really not that hard to make from bone blanks.

I'm frightened of ruining the original so I keep the original saddles and make bone copies when I want to adjust the string height a little.

Here's the one I made for my Huss & Dalton copied from the original.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird

Last edited by Brucebubs; 11-15-2019 at 12:07 AM.
Old 11-15-2019, 11:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
I don't mean to take anything away from any business with outstanding customer service but guys, saddles are really not that hard to make from bone blanks.

I'm frightened of ruining the original so I keep the original saddles and make bone copies when I want to adjust the string height a little.

Here's the one I made for my Huss & Dalton copied from the original.

perhaps, but i would rather leave it to the professionals to do an exact duplication in bone if the saddle being duplicated is dialed in. plus the cost is minimal.

on a side note, I wonder if there is a machine that is commercially available that duplicates guitar sadles, much like a key is made at the headwear store
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 11-15-2019, 01:30 PM

I have MacNichols saddles in eight of my guitars and when I get my next one it'll get one in there, also.

His customer service is exceptional, and his saddles are very good also.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion