The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 10-30-2019, 12:03 PM

Default Ibanez AM93 thoughts.......

A few days ago I requested info on the Epiphone 339 and received some good opinions and am hoping for the same for the above guitar. Both are small bodied semi-hollow guitars with the Ibanez being a little more expensive. I have yet to find a place that carries the Ibanez, but a Guitar Center, 1 1/2 hours away has a 339, so I will be able to try it out. Both have 24.75 length scale with 12” neck radius. How different that will feel from my Strat and Tele with 9.5 radius, I don’t know. Thanks in advance for any opinions.
Old 10-30-2019, 01:33 PM
Charter Member

I've had a number of Ibanez semi-hollows, both AS and AM size. I had a couple of different lower than "93" level AM models, and a couple of higher than "93" level AS models. I also had an Epiphone ES-339 Pro, the P90 model. The necks are basically identical to each other. 24.75" scale, 12" radius, jumbo-ish frets, rosewood or ebony fretboards. Just a basic Gibson-spec neck. In past years I thought the quality of Ibanez semi-hollows was significantly better than Epiphones I'd played, but the ES-339 I had recently was excellent, the equal of all but the nicest Ibanez semi-hollows I've played (the Scofield JSM-10 was a cut above, but priced accordingly).

I think the AM-93 has an ebony fretboard and I slightly prefer that to rosewood, but both are excellent. I'd say if you find either an Ibanez or Epiphone that floats your boat, buy it - the other won't be notably different, so if you get one you like, don't over-analyze it. For me, it got to the point where it was about pickups - I was sick of humbuckers and wanted P90s, so the Epiphone was the only game in town - I found a used one for a good price, played it, bought it...

But ANY of these guitars will feel VERY different than your strat or tele. I find any Fender neck (even though they vary), just has a really particular type of feel that's very different than any Gibson based neck I've played. It's just a different animal - not better or worse, but very different. You may love it, you may not, you may be totally agnostic about it, but it's a different neck.

I'm personally a junkie for Fender necks, 7.25" radius is my preferred, with narrow tall frets. I have a strat and a tele with nearly identical necks and they both feel heavenly to me. The ES339 I had was awesome - not a thing wrong with it. But I never played it - I always reached for the strat or tele. So I sold it. But you gotta find out for yourself.
Old 11-04-2019, 08:14 PM

I am really very pleased with the one I picked up a couple months ago.

20 Epiphone EJ-200SE-12-VS
20 PRS P20E
16 Breedlove D25/SRH Pro Series
17 Guild D-140
? Cort Luce L300V-F SB
17 Gibson SG Standard T
14 Ibanez AM93-TKS
04 Fender Stratocaster
21 Epiphone IBG ES335 Figured.
23 PRS SE McCarty 594
89 Marc Beneteau Dreadnaught

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars