The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 07-27-2021, 09:03 AM

I used to be very opinionated about music. Being in college in the 80's, it was either "new music", "our parents music" or corporate influenced "engineered to sell" music, and we were morale opposed to the latter.

Playing in a cover band changed my attitude though. I had to learn to play songs I hated (if I have to play Mustang Sally one more time, I'm going to.....", but sometimes we'd get a great crown response from those songs. The original band I was in, we played stuff we liked, but I had to become more open minded to be in the cover band. It was part of the job description.

There is no right or wrong, and everybody has their own idea about what is good or cool. The Cranberries were never a favorite, but if I'm ever in a situation where we need to play it, I'm going to do my best with it and do my best to enjoy it.

To the OP - your teacher's comment comes across as a bit snide to me. His job is to educate. If you already knew everything he had to teach, he'd be out of a job.
Old 07-27-2021, 09:38 AM

Lol, that song is about 25 years old!

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 07-27-2021, 11:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklotz View Post

There is no right or wrong, and everybody has their own idea about what is good or cool. The Cranberries were never a favorite, but if I'm ever in a situation where we need to play it, I'm going to do my best with it and do my best to enjoy it.

To the OP - your teacher's comment comes across as a bit snide to me. His job is to educate. If you already knew everything he had to teach, he'd be out of a job.
I think it depends on one's relationship with their teacher. We go back and forth with mine about songs. Maybe some comments get a bit snide, but it goes both ways. We have a good time. I wouldn't last long if it were all serious business.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 07-27-2021, 12:26 PM

"Linger" is a great song.
Old 07-27-2021, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightchef View Post
Yeah, the Cranberries were a fairly major band in their brief heyday. “Zombie” was a #1 song in a bunch of countries, including the US. I owned the album with that song on it...
Took hearing it on the jukebox in a place I was playing every week for me to get used to it, but I love that song.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimelie View Post
One of the best ways to stay young is to stay curious.

Generally, today’s pop music isn’t to my taste, but when I happen to hear it (I don’t actively look for it, honestly) I listen and reflect on it (and try figure out its merits).

I don’t think it’s ever a good idea to close down and live in a self-imposed bubble of the past being the only reality of worth. That’s how the dust settles down and the rust sets in.
Bingo, on all points. Don't have to enjoy everything new that comes along, but one can miss a lot of great things if they refuse to at least check it out.

Last week I was in the store and put my phone up to record the song playing and found out it was a brand new song called 90's Kids. Not often I instantly like a song, but I'm open for liking what I like rather than shutting it out just because it's new.
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 07-27-2021, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
"Linger" is a great song.
The differences between songs like Linger and Zombie are perfect examples of how a band like the Cranberries built the songs around atmosphere rather than simply having a core sound for all their material.
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 07-27-2021, 12:56 PM

That guitar teacher just wanted to teach an easy song. It makes his life easier.

For laughs, ask him that yeah, I am old school and I want to learn “Dust In The Wind” from Kansas.
Old 07-27-2021, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklotz View Post
I used to be very opinionated about music. Being in college in the 80's, it was either "new music", "our parents music" or corporate influenced "engineered to sell" music, and we were morale opposed to the latter.
Gen Xer here, so I was in a similar place, and I really hope I'm in a slightly better spot now. Irony and slackerism dominated when I was young, but dialed-up earnestness as well. There were artists who were deemed to be or presented themselves as being only about the art, and there were artists who sold out by doing commercials or by letting their song be used in an Alicia Silverstone movie. So very different now. My kids don't even know what "selling out" means/meant. There's an acceptance now that artists want to earn a living, and getting paid is totally acceptable.

Even the idea "manufactured" acts are objectively bad isn't that robust an argument anymore. K-Pop can be really great, for example. Harry Styles, whose band was cranked out of a machine, is a legit great.

As for the quality, it's all subjective, of course, and I think there's plenty of talent and quality out there. There was a lot of junk on the radio in the '90s just as there's a lot of junk in the radio/Sirius/Spotify now. I do my best to check myself and just know that an artist just might not be my cup of tea rather than that artist being "bad." I try, mind you, and I don't always succeed.
Old 07-27-2021, 02:49 PM
Charter Member

Wanna feel really old,

I ran into the theme song from the Summer of 42 the other week. Boy oh boy, when that movie came out, in the early seventies, 42 was only thirty years prior, now it does feel ancient.

And of course the loss of so many great acoustic guitar players, between that movie's release and now, some of whom died way too young.

Not to divert, but I was hoping to seen John Renbourn before I couldn't and when he unexpectedly passed, I gave myself some grief for not moving a bit faster on that front.

Stuart
Old 07-27-2021, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartb View Post
Wanna feel really old,

I ran into the theme song from the Summer of 42 the other week. Boy oh boy, when that movie came out, in the early seventies, 42 was only thirty years prior, now it does feel ancient.

And of course the loss of so many great acoustic guitar players, between that movie's release and now, some of whom died way too young.

Not to divert, but I was hoping to seen John Renbourn before I couldn't and when he unexpectedly passed, I gave myself some grief for not moving a bit faster on that front.

Stuart

https://youtu.be/Sq_Y8KVDmwQ
Old 07-27-2021, 08:31 PM

O.K so while we are on the subject of bands, albeit this is an acoustic forum -- what do others here think of the Rock group KISS? Personally could never stand their music, but apparently they were great promoters. I said the same to someone recently, and they were so offended they bumped me from their Facebook list of friends. No big loss though. In fact I found it humorous a 60 year old dentist thought they were one of the greatest rock bands. Huh?
Old 07-28-2021, 10:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil6243 View Post
O.K so while we are on the subject of bands, albeit this is an acoustic forum -- what do others here think of the Rock group KISS? Personally could never stand their music, but apparently they were great promoters. I said the same to someone recently, and they were so offended they bumped me from their Facebook list of friends. No big loss though. In fact I found it humorous a 60 year old dentist thought they were one of the greatest rock bands. Huh?
You pretty much nailed it. I'm sure there are plenty of KISS fans out there, but their marketing and stage shows were always more impressive than their music, IMHO. And you're the first and only person I know to get un-friended by calling out KISS for being what they are/were.
Old 07-28-2021, 10:17 AM

I don't like Kiss particularly, but then - as far as I know - I don't have any friends who do either, so no problem there! They've certainly never come up in any conversation I can ever remember having with anyone, ever. (Of course, I'm pretty old now, and my memory is not what it was.... )

I've heard their music - occasionally - and they're obviously very good at what they do: competent, professional, blah bah. The silly make-up is (or at least was) a good gimmick - and a clever way of staying relatiely anonymous - but the music is very generic, and not my favourite style.
Old 07-28-2021, 10:45 AM

I think KISS rocks hard, and they're borderline genius at promotion/marketing.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 07-28-2021, 10:55 AM
Charter Member

So back to the OP

I am 71 and had heard of the Cranberries And have heard the song Zombie but honestly it did not really stick .

So I think it's not so much "living under a rock" as choice of exposure platform

Many of us who came of age in the 60's kinda gave up on Pop radio by the mid 80's - 90's. so there is a fair likelihood that many may have not heard the chart toppers then, and now...

But I can definitely identify with the (The) Zombies

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 08-06-2021 at 10:44 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write