The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-01-2022, 02:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyee View Post
Great price. I just tried to order one, but evidently they don't ship to Hawaii, order gets rejected. bummer.
Interesting considering Rainsong's Hawaiian roots...

The story begins one rainy afternoon on the island of Maui. Plasma physicist Dr. John Decker was attending an outdoor wedding when a tropical shower threatened to drench the party, including the solo guitarist.

A classical guitarist himself, John felt the player's dilemma: Should he run for cover and risk the wrath of the bride's family or play in the rain and ruin his guitar?

If only there was a guitar that would play beautifully while enduring life's summers and winters, bumps and bruises, and even the occasional downpour, from the tropics to the poles. John knew he could make one, and that's exactly what he did.
Old 12-01-2022, 07:34 AM
Charter Member

Have you tried dropping them an e-mail? I'm sure it must be doable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Interesting considering Rainsong's Hawaiian roots...

The story begins one rainy afternoon on the island of Maui. Plasma physicist Dr. John Decker was attending an outdoor wedding when a tropical shower threatened to drench the party, including the solo guitarist.

A classical guitarist himself, John felt the player's dilemma: Should he run for cover and risk the wrath of the bride's family or play in the rain and ruin his guitar?

If only there was a guitar that would play beautifully while enduring life's summers and winters, bumps and bruises, and even the occasional downpour, from the tropics to the poles. John knew he could make one, and that's exactly what he did.
Old 12-01-2022, 07:43 AM
Charter Member

Default My Rainsong arrived yesterday!

My rainsong was delivered yesterday via UPS. There is a lot to love and a couple things I'm not crazy about...

Pros: Build quality is great, packing job was great, setup is great, tone is excellent!

Cons: I have two issues here...

What's up with this bulky heavy case? Really? Also, the case has no lock? I may see if this fits my Gator TSA dreadnought case. The case is a bit smaller, doesn't weigh so much, and has a TSA lock to boot. I'm not sure why more companies don't use these more modern cases.

Onto my second issue... I am curious if anybody out there can replicate this by the way...

If I play the third fret on the low e string, palm muted or not, or, if I palm mute the open low e string, or, the second fret on the d string, I get this buzz going on that sounds like it's right next to the bridge. All other notes seem fine! This doesn't happen with my Rainsong dreadnought so I wonder if it's a body size thing? Everything else is **** near perfect but I can hear this. If I can hear this, than a microphone is going to pick it up for sure. Any thoughts?
Old 12-01-2022, 08:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Great price. I just tried to order one, but evidently they don't ship to Hawaii, order gets rejected. bummer.
I’d reach out to them via email.

Ken
Emerald Balor 5 string, Taylor GS-Mini Bass, RainSong SGA-FLE, WS1000 Classic N1 and WS3000 N1, Republic Resolian Style 804, Royall Teardrop Tenor Reso
A few electrics, a bunch of basses
Wandering the continent - CA > IL > NH > TX (for good, hopefully)
Old 12-01-2022, 08:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by studioman001 View Post
My rainsong was delivered yesterday via UPS. There is a lot to love and a couple things I'm not crazy about...

Pros: Build quality is great, packing job was great, setup is great, tone is excellent!

Cons: I have two issues here...

What's up with this bulky heavy case? Really? Also, the case has no lock? I may see if this fits my Gator TSA dreadnought case. The case is a bit smaller, doesn't weigh so much, and has a TSA lock to boot. I'm not sure why more companies don't use these more modern cases.

Onto my second issue... I am curious if anybody out there can replicate this by the way...

If I play the third fret on the low e string, palm muted or not, or, if I palm mute the open low e string, or, the second fret on the d string, I get this buzz going on that sounds like it's right next to the bridge. All other notes seem fine! This doesn't happen with my Rainsong dreadnought so I wonder if it's a body size thing? Everything else is **** near perfect but I can hear this. If I can hear this, than a microphone is going to pick it up for sure. Any thoughts?
Rainsong used to use a nice molded case, but they said those aren’t available anymore. The new one is just a typical plywood case, and the lack of a lock doesn’t bother me - case locks are pretty useless IMO.

No buzzes on those or any other string/fret on mine. Maybe you have a wire touching something and sympathetically buzzing?

Ken
Emerald Balor 5 string, Taylor GS-Mini Bass, RainSong SGA-FLE, WS1000 Classic N1 and WS3000 N1, Republic Resolian Style 804, Royall Teardrop Tenor Reso
Old 12-01-2022, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
I’d reach out to them via email.
I did send them an email last night, awaiting their reply.
Taylor 855
Taylor 614ceL7
Taylor T5 koa - SOLD
Taylor K55 all koa - SOLD
Old 12-01-2022, 09:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
...The new one is just a typical plywood case, and the lack of a lock doesn’t bother me - case locks are pretty useless IMO...
Yeh, having a lock on a guitar case is like having a DO NOT STEAL sign posted on a nice car in a bad neighborhood and leaving the key in the ignition...
Old 12-01-2022, 07:15 PM

Good news - I was able to place my order for the guitar in the end. The special sale price includes free shipping to continental US only. I had to pay extra for shipping to Hawaii, which I'm ok with.
Taylor 855
Taylor 614ceL7
Taylor T5 koa - SOLD
Old 12-02-2022, 10:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Good news - I was able to place my order for the guitar in the end. The special sale price includes free shipping to continental US only. I had to pay extra for shipping to Hawaii, which I'm ok with.
Stick a sail on it and put it in Puget Sound?

Ken
Old 12-02-2022, 06:24 PM
Charter Member

Oh I just worry when I really have little reason to! Total overkill. Hmmmm. There are five latches on this case but if they all somehow unlatch themselves during transit... I still say this case is the wrong choice for this guitar. It needs to be in a sleek slim gator case, like mine, or, in a Hiscox like Emerald. that being said, I wonder how I'd offload this case. I'm not fat on space although I'm sure I can shoehorn it away somewhere for the time being.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Yeh, having a lock on a guitar case is like having a DO NOT STEAL sign posted on a nice car in a bad neighborhood and leaving the key in the ignition...
Old 12-02-2022, 08:26 PM
Charter Member

I bought an Access gig bag for it, when I had a RS Shorty. I remember thinking, "Wow, this guitar is really light!" when I first pulled it out of the case... anything would seem so after lugging that heavyweight stock case.
Old 12-19-2022, 06:12 PM

By the way, I forgot to report back, but my guitar arrived quickly, maybe 3 weeks after I ordered it. I feels and plays great, I forgot how light the guitar is compared to my wood ones.

First thing I want to do is swap out the strings. I don't care for Elixirs, they sound too "waxy" to my ears. I use John Pearse strings. I put on some JP Mediums and now it sounds better to my ears.
Taylor 855
Taylor 614ceL7
Taylor T5 koa - SOLD

Last edited by kyee; 12-19-2022 at 06:52 PM.
Old 12-19-2022, 07:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
By the way, I forgot to report back, but my guitar arrived quickly, maybe 3 weeks after I ordered it. I feels and plays great, I forgot how light the guitar is compared to my wood ones...
Glad to hear it all worked out....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 12-21-2022, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by studioman001 View Post

What's up with this bulky heavy case? Really? Also, the case has no lock? I may see if this fits my Gator TSA dreadnought case. The case is a bit smaller, doesn't weigh so much, and has a TSA lock to boot. I'm not sure why more companies don't use these more modern cases.\
What does the current case look like?

My WS-3000 came with a roto-molded case. Looks like the much hated Martin standard series cases, but says Rainsong instead of Martin. It has a TLK metal badge on it. Has a tiny lock built into one of the latches.

My Shorty came with a nice Geib style TLK case with a combi dial lock.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 12-21-2022, 06:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
What does the current case look like?

My WS-3000 came with a roto-molded case. Looks like the much hated Martin standard series cases, but says Rainsong instead of Martin. It has a TLK metal badge on it. Has a tiny lock built into one of the latches.

My Shorty came with a nice Geib style TLK case with a combi dial lock.
The reissue comes with a plywood arch topped case, I miss the molded ones.

Ken

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber