The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 05-14-2022, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Mott View Post
What great figure in that satinwood. Chatoyance, which I just learned comes from the French for the cat’s eye effect (i.e., the “chat” in the first syllable).
. . .and the oeil (eye) in the second.
Old 05-14-2022, 10:28 AM

“and the oeil (eye) in the second.”

Even better!
Old 05-16-2022, 08:34 PM
AGF Sponsor

I shipped the latest and greatest (so I imagine) FT-L00 Adi over Pernambuco today. And I remembered to take a few photos before I packed it, so it has a page HERE on my website.

And here is a picture (or 2) that didn't make it to that page:

Old 05-16-2022, 09:59 PM
Charter Member

I will chime in and say that this latest pernambuco L-00 is a truly exceptional guitar - I stopped by Bruces shop and had the opportunity to play it, and played his latest braz rw OM, a pernambuco dread w/cutaway, and each was a real joy - each had certain characteristics that one would expect from one of Bruces builds in the materials used. But this L-00 had a little extra something in every area - a little more than you’d usually get from pernambuco, a little more than you’d usually get from an L-00, and even (dare I say it) a little more than I’d heard in any other build of Bruce’s. But I’m not entirely surprised - this is a size he does well, and a material he knows well, and I have gotten used to each new guitar he creates raising the bar of excellence just a bit more. All I can say is I am excited to hear the braz dread that will be coming together soon, and the beautiful olive that will get assembled after that. In the meantime, it’ll be interesting to see what the satinwood will create - and sadly, this pernambuco L-00 will be overseas, and I’ll never get a chance to see how much better it might get once it’s more than a few hours old -

As an aside, I also played a couple of his older dreads he has in stock - they are “just” eir / sitka, but one is truly a Martin clone, in build and appearance, while the other is a Sexauer take on a Martin dread, with the adjustments and appointments that make it more “modern”, and more “Sexauer”. What’s interesting is these 2 dreads are both great, and they offer a chance to hear how minor changes can affect the voices, and how small changes in materials can affect the overall appearance - all under the control of a master builder. And a number of times, when serious players came into his shop and played these 2, they frequently ended up ordering a guitar based on the details and voice they most liked, but usually in braz rw rather than eir. I guess if you’re gonna go for it, you might as well go the whole way, but braz adds a whole lot to the price, and the prices Bruce has on these two put them right in there with the prices on many better factory builds, but these are SOOO much more guitar - so if anyone is looking for a really good dread, I’d drop Bruce an email right away -
Old 05-17-2022, 09:55 AM
Charter Member

I would like to have been able to bring my L-00 adi/pernambuco up for a comparison, but my wife's father and cousin have been visiting so I have been unable. Mine is (in my opinion) spectacular, and my experience is that Bruce (somehow) keeps getting better and better at what he does...so this new one must be really something. Congrats to the lucky owner.
Bruce, I love what you are doing now, unshackled from client requests. Olive! Pernambuco! and now Satinwood! What's next?
Old 05-20-2022, 05:31 PM
AGF Sponsor

When I made the guitar that Jamie refers to, I thought it was my high mark at that moment. Not too long ago, either. I really like the new one, but I am not so sure it's actually better. Now I'll never know as it has arrived in Finland and the owner has made it pretty clear that it is not returning anytime soon.

Interestingly, we bought it an expedited ticket and it actually was in his hands in well under 48 hours, which is under half what it usually takes, in my experience. UPS, if you wonder.

I have buffed out the body on the BRW/Adi D28ish and should be hearing it in a few days.

I have closed the box on the Ceylon Satinwood JB-16:

Old 05-24-2022, 05:54 PM
AGF Sponsor

I showed a bridge a while back and mentioned is was at the lighter end of the spectrum. It was a "Sexauer" bridge, and has design features which allow it to weigh less than a conservative Martin design is likely to, in ebony. Here is the very Martin-esque bridge I have just made and glued onto my latest D28 inspired effort:

Rough sawn

Fully formed

Installed on a beautiful Adi top from Tom Thiel

The guitar is strung and playable as of a couple of hours ago, and I will get to pictures soon.
Old 05-25-2022, 05:58 PM
AGF Sponsor

As promised, here is some visual evidence of the new D28 inspired guitar which I intend as a B'grass Weapon.

Old 05-26-2022, 07:50 PM
AGF Sponsor

The JB-16 from Bachmann Eurospruce over Ceylon Satinwood is bound with Snakewood:

Old 05-26-2022, 08:05 PM
Charter Member

Satinwood n’ Snakewood…
Old 05-26-2022, 08:24 PM

The Satin Snake!
Old 05-26-2022, 09:54 PM
Charter Member

Smile Sweet!

Sweet Satin Snake!

Very nice axe!!! Stand back you measly banjos…

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 05-28-2022, 05:44 PM
AGF Sponsor

SatinSnake has gone into finish today. The first pic is the back with a still wet coat of "P" juice. The second pic is after 3 applications of P juice has dried, followed by 2 coats of SealCoat, and one coat of still wet Oil varnish.

Old 05-28-2022, 07:52 PM
AGF Sponsor

I did stain the neck, but not the Bachmann EuoSpruce top.

Old 05-29-2022, 06:00 AM
Charter Member

Looks GREAT Bruce….

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop