The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-02-2016, 01:46 PM

Default Playing Outside

So I've been asked to play at a friend's wedding which is tomorrow. I've played lots before and at weddings so that's not really a big deal. However this one is outside. Also there won't be any other instruments like I'm used to. Just me playing guitar and a friend of the bride and me singing.

Couple things I'm concerned about.
1. Acoustics
2. Weather

1. Should I turn the bass up a bit for a fuller sound?
I was originally doing a cool fingerstyle arrangement I made but wondering if I should just strum instead?
2. Its in Missouri and supposed to be an the 70's to low 80's tomorrow. Also humidity is awful. Usually 60-80% sometimes over 90. I usually keep my guitar in its case and about 50% humidity. We'll be practicing before hand and I'm not sure if I should try to keep it in its case as much as possible taking it out right before I play (not sure how that would work during the ceremony) or leave it out quite a while to sort of acclimate to the temp and humidity and not sure how negative that could be on my guitar..
Thanks for any advice!

Electrics:
Warmoth Tele

Amps:
Blues Jr.
AC15HW
Old 09-02-2016, 02:20 PM

I recommend removing the guitar from the case prior to beginning your set to allow things to settle before tuning to play........20-30 minutes or so. And I'd also leave it out until the gig is over.

It takes some time for the wood to begin to react to moderate changes in humidity and you shouldn't have any problems.
Old 09-02-2016, 02:35 PM

i agree 100 % with buc a roo , just don't leave it in the sun.obviously. i pllay outside alot during hot summer months, make sure ya got a dew rag[for guitar].if yer singin , a wind screen on the mic might help.
Old 09-02-2016, 02:39 PM

A little reverb would probably help.
Old 09-02-2016, 03:28 PM

Try to arrange to be in the shade. Direct sunlight can be brutal this time of year.

cotten
Old 09-02-2016, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buc-a-Roo View Post
I recommend removing the guitar from the case prior to beginning your set to allow things to settle before tuning to play........20-30 minutes or so. And I'd also leave it out until the gig is over.

It takes some time for the wood to begin to react to moderate changes in humidity and you shouldn't have any problems.
+1 on all that. Give it time to get accustomed to the weather.

"And I wonder, still I wonder, who'll stop the rain"?
Old 09-03-2016, 11:13 AM

Thanks guys. Not sure what the venue looks like yet but I'll try to keep it in the shade.

Electrics:
Warmoth Tele

Amps:
Blues Jr.
AC15HW
Old 09-03-2016, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaw2821 View Post
...It's in Missouri and supposed to be an the 70's to low 80's tomorrow. Also humidity is awful. Usually 60-80% sometimes over 90...
- and that's why I bought a Rainsong (actually two), and save my wooden guitars for more friendly environments...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
acoustics, playing outside