The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-19-2021, 08:41 PM

My wife has a GS Mini and we really like it. It's the model with sitka top and walnut back. Highly recommend.

But what I recommend even more is the Yamaha LL6M. We recently acquired a used one for $300 and are pleased by it. Good luck in your search for the perfect acoustic guitar.
Old 01-19-2021, 09:58 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
^This.

The problem with buying instruments, mics, etc in incremental steps is that a few years down the road you'll have stuff that is obsolete in your mind and the equipment could sit un-used.

I think eventually you should upgrade to something like a Taylor 312. If that is too big a jump financially, look at Guild's OM-120.
LOL. I agree with this sentiment but with a twist. A few years down the road you may be sitting on instruments that are so valuable/high quality they will sit unused because you are afraid to ding them. Don't ask me how I know this.
Old 01-20-2021, 04:21 AM

"Upgrade" is not as simple as throwing more money at a purchase. I wish it was! I had a GS Mini Koa for a while and desperately wanted to like it. But for me the cramped fretboard ,toy like feel and the fact that it didnt like a capo became too frustrating and I moved it on. In my case an Alvarez AP70 ( at nearly half the price) suited my needs better . I have guitars that cost more, but thats the one I pick up most.
Old 01-20-2021, 04:34 AM

I think most (or at least many) people that start on a GS mini wind up moving on to a full-sized guitar at some point. Not because the GS mini isn't fabulous for what it is, but because the design prioritizes portability over other considerations.

That said, I expect very few people who started on a GS mini and then 'upgraded' to a full size actually sold the mini; it's a great travel guitar, and buying a full-sized one to play at home doesn't change that.

A Koa GS mini was my first serious acoustic (i had a couple of really cheap acoustics years and years ago, but mostly played electric till 5 years ago). It just blew me away how great it sounded.

Later I ended up buying a dreadnought which sounds even better, but I keep the mini for it's portability, and because it's no-longer my 'best' guitar I'm more casual about taking it camping, to beer-fueled band practice, etc.

I can heartily recommend the koa GS mini (I'm luke-warm on hog and don't like the stika version - personal pref, YMMV, etc), BUT, if you are somehow 100% sure that you only want to own one guitar and don't want to end up with two, I'd probably steer you more in the direction of a reasonably priced full-size guitar like the Gibson G-45 studio, Taylor 110e / 114e, Martin Road series etc.

Last edited by RalphH; 01-20-2021 at 04:56 AM.
Old 01-20-2021, 04:40 AM

If a guitar inspires you to play and makes you want to pick it up it really doesn't matter what it is. The GS Mini is a fine guitar and is generally well-regarded; however there are many similar small guitars which, in my opinion, offer better value for your money and sound better too. The Yamaha CSF3M, for example, is all solid wood and costs less than the part-laminate Taylor GS. Here's a nice demo. It's also available in sunburst:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZzX0Ps6ARs

Last edited by AndrewG; 01-20-2021 at 04:55 AM.
Old 01-20-2021, 04:52 AM

Smile Taylor Academy 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TygerBright View Post
Wow! Thanks for all the amazing responses so far!

I'm definitely glad I asked and good to be in the midst of some great experience and advice.

I think I'll do some digging into the Taylor 12 series as that has come up a few times in the responses so far and it comes in my budget also - £500 is the max I really want to push to. One question on that particular guitar - does it sound warm or bright? I imagine being a sitka top this one will sit more on the bright side.
Yes, the Academy 12 is a good guitar to have. It's size is bigger than the GS Mini, its scale slightly longer too. Its bevel for the arm is a big plus for a Taylor at such a good price. I'm not sure why the Academy 12 is not more popular than what it is now. This is coming from an owner of a GS Mini Koa and I also owned a GS Mini Spruce previously.

Happy hunting!
Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Martin LX1 (2009)
Old 01-20-2021, 05:01 AM

Smile Yamaha CSF3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
If a guitar inspires you to play and makes you want to pick it up it really doesn't matter what it is. The GS Mini is a fine guitar and is generally well-regarded; however there are many similar small guitars which, in my opinion, offer better value for your money and sound better too. The Yamaha CSF3M, for example, is all solid wood and costs less than the part-laminate Taylor GS. Here's a nice demo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZzX0Ps6ARs
+1. Yes, the CSF3M is another good guitar too for its price, plus you get all solid back and sides. I happen to have the CSF3M and it has a balanced tone and is loud for its size. Its lower bout is only 13 5/16", smaller than the lower bout of the GS Mini.

So many guitars to choose from. Happy hunting!
Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Martin LX1 (2009)
Old 01-20-2021, 05:42 AM

A great beginning guitar is the Yamaha FS 800, which I'm sure you've gathered if you have ever looked at youtube. You will need to lower the action a bit (super easy to do on your own, just ask here), but it is a fantastic guitar that is stupid cheap. I'm a 45+ year player, but I enjoy that "beginner" Yamaha as much as guitar I own.

I also own a GS mini and you can't go wrong there. But like others have said, it might be better to learn on more of a standard scale.
Old 01-20-2021, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
The problem with buying instruments, mics, etc in incremental steps is that a few years down the road you'll have stuff that is obsolete in your mind and the equipment could sit un-used.
This^.

Lots of people like the GS Mini. But at 5’7”, you should be able to comfortably handle most “medium” guitar sizes (like 00, grand concert, 000, and OM; avoiding dreadnoughts and jumbos makes sense unless/until you can try them in person) and the versatility and tone of these sizes will continue to appeal to you for many years. The GS Mini may not have that kind of endurance, tonewise. And if you ever want to play with others without amplification, the GS Mini will not hold its own.

If you are the kind of person who can make a short term investment in a guitar and will not hesitate to sell it and trade up in a year or two, then buy a Mini (it may spur a bit more playing in the coming months). But I wouldnt think a Mini would be your “one and only guitar as you grow older” unless you have very modest aspirations (like my bro in law, who bought a guitar in the 70’s: he rarely plays it, and he will only play folk songs and avoids anything but the simplest chords with simple strums...so it sounds like you are already more ambitious than he is).

If you can afford to do so, consider buying a nicer guitar with a regular scale neck from a dealer who offers a 72 hour trial period. You would need to pay return shipping (or maybe even shipping both ways) if you return it. But that would give you a taste of what is beyond your Fender in terms of playability and tone. Eastman guitars might be a terrific choice. Here are some possibilities from a shop in Florida: https://www.jerrysleftyguitars.com/l...uitars-15.html

Last edited by buddyhu; 01-20-2021 at 06:34 AM.
Old 01-20-2021, 07:12 AM

I was in the same boat a while back. I'm 59 and started learning seriously about a year ago. My wife and I worked out a deal. I'd get a cheap Orangwood and if I stuck with it for 6 months I could get something like an academy or GS-Mini etc (<1000).

After 6 months I hadn't missed a day. I went to the LGS and checked out a bunch of guitars including the Mini, Academy, 114e and a couple of Martins. Ended up getting the 114e, it just had the best sound.

I used the orangewood as my 'travel' guitar to take to the cabin etc. Then at Christmas the sister in law said she was selling her GS-Mini hog. I ended up buying it as my travel guitar.

Now I play the GS-Mini more than the 114. It's easier to handle on the sofa so I'm encouraged to play more. And I tend to fingerpick more and the mahogany sounds great. But I try to pick them both up and rotate. By doing so I can play either one just fine and don't have a problem with the size.

Looking back I think I'd have learned a bit faster on the Mini. IMHO get the mini, keep the full sized guitar and play them both. Then upgrade the full sized in your next round of upgrades.
Old 01-20-2021, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphH View Post
I think most (or at least many) people that start on a GS mini wind up moving on to a full-sized guitar at some point. Not because the GS mini isn't fabulous for what it is, but because the design prioritizes portability over other considerations.

That said, I expect very few people who started on a GS mini and then 'upgraded' to a full size actually sold the mini; it's a great travel guitar, and buying a full-sized one to play at home doesn't change that.
My experience was pretty much the opposite. After deciding that a dread was just too big for comfort (as I approached 70) I sold it for a GS Mini (for travel) and a 000-15M for better tone around the house. I found the Mini so comfortable that the 000-15 was mostly in the case, even though it was considerably nicer sounding (though the Mini was no slouch). The Mini was my "gateway" into shorter scale and considerably smaller body size. I moved on through a CA Cargo and now to an Emerald X7, both short scale small instruments.

All that said, in the earlier days of playing something a bit larger/more 'standard,' if you will, makes some sense. Things I learned, though, through this journey: scale length makes a difference in comfort (some like it, some do not) and nut width became a thing for me (Mini was just a bit too narrow, and the X7 is actually wider custom made than most). Many players are not sensitive to these differences, others (me included) are.

I will offer a bottom line: the quest can be interesting and fun (especially when or if one can get into shops and try the various options). Keep in mind the variety of sizes and configurations and do your best to try them out in person.
Old 01-20-2021, 07:57 AM

GS-Mini - an unnecessary upgrade for a beginner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TygerBright View Post
Hi all - new to the forum! It's great to be here

. . .

I'm 5'7 so I think this concert size suits me well even though I have what I think are long arms and large hands for my size

. . .

Appreciate thoughts guys!
Based on your hand size alone, I would avoid a 'mini' since I think you might have trouble fretting it.

However I am a Taylor fan, and if you can find a left handed 114 Grand Auditorium, I would think that would be a great option for you, new or used. It may be at the bottom of the Taylor line-up, but it is an extremely well made instrument and will not let you down, even years from now.

I own 2 Taylor Grand Concerts, but they are also more expensive than a 100 series. Depends on your budget.

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo
Old 01-20-2021, 08:13 AM

So been reading more ... and thinking more.

Thanks for all inputs and links - I probably didn't make it clear I'm in the UK so Sweetwater, Jerrys etc are all off limits for me sadly.

GS-Mini - I think lack of availability (new or used) forces me to put this on ice for now. I think the short scale / niche comments are giving me pause for thought also and I'd want to be able to hear and handle this.

Taylor 12 - lack of availability again is an issue and I definitely want to get a less bright sounding guitar to what I have now. The sitka topped Taylor might be brighter than my current one is my gut feeling even though it seems a perfect fit in all other regards.

I've been chatting to a sales advisor as store online today and I asked about an upgrade to my existing Fender with a warm full tone, sub 500 GBP. They have recommended a Sigma 000M 15 to me. They have two variants - a standard body shape all acoustic and one with cutaway and electroacoustic. Both in stock and have a 14 day returns policy. If I want to scratch my itch to get a new guitar then one of these could be worth a punt.

Anyone have thoughts on these? sound, playability, general build etc?
Old 01-20-2021, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool555 View Post
+1. Yes, the CSF3M is another good guitar too for its price, plus you get all solid back and sides. I happen to have the CSF3M and it has a balanced tone and is loud for its size. Its lower bout is only 13 5/16", smaller than the lower bout of the GS Mini.

So many guitars to choose from. Happy hunting!
That Yamaha does look lovely ... but no lefty version as far as I can see
Old 01-20-2021, 11:20 AM

Lots of good advice on here but I'm going to contradict some of it. Small bodied guitars mostly sound small and bright (or worse still boxy). I looked for years for a parlour/travel sized guitar and the GS Mini was the best of the bunch* but I wouldn't have one as my only guitar. If I was in your position I would buy a dreadnought, I'm 5'6" and don't have especially large hands but dreads usually have the fullest sound. There are also loads to choose form so finding decent LH ones will be easier. The down side of a dread is the thing that make it great sounding, size, they are not great sofa guitars and take a lot of space in the RV (sorry, UK based, VW Camper... ). UK distance selling regs mean it is easy to send a guitar back if it doesn't suit you, you pay carriage but that's all.

Whatever you buy (and I'm not saying don't buy a GS Mini) remember looks and how you feel about it matter..... What I mean is don't buy the sensible choice unless it's also the one that you have a pic of as your PC wallpaper.

* I eventually bought an Emerald X7 for twice the price of a GS Mini but I did recommend a couple of mates to buy GS Minis and both are very happy with them several years on. The X7 is better sounding than any of the other small guitars I tried and I probably could live with it as my only acoustic but it wouldn't be my first choice if I was starting again from scratch.
Mountain D45 (mid '80s)
Brian Eastwood ES175/L5
Gibson Les Paul Custom (1975)
Brian Eastwood '61 Strat
Bitsa Strat with P90s (my main electric)
The Loar F5 Mandolin,
Samick A4 Mandolin
Epiphone Mandobird
Brian Eastwood '51 P Bass
NS Design Wav EUB
Giordano EUB

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion