The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-25-2019, 03:59 PM

Default Going on the cheap is more fun...to me

For me, personally speaking, and I KNOW MANY WILL DISAGREE, I find
treasure hunting for great sounding and playing cheap guitars ( under $400) and rotating inventory after testing them out is so much more fun than buying higher end ( $1000-3000 +$ guitars) and dealing the valuation loss and care reguired and larger cash out of pocket outlays..( once owned J 45 custom, Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson LG2 american, J 15, Martin OOO, Martin D16h, Standard Les Paul so on...)

Hey I am 66, wear two hearing aids.....soon all guitars sound the same to me....cheap or expensive, ha

The Yamaha fs 800 I bought is actually a pretty nice sounding and playing guitar. impressed!

I am too curious .........I like to experiment with new stuff that hits the market.

just closed a cheap deal on a fender malibu california series parlor today, Arctic white with gold, yea, I know, looks are way out there, but I kind of like different, so thats my next test. It could be a gem or garbage....will find out...

would like to try one of those Gretsch, white Penguin acoustics, another way out looks design sometime in future..

Trying to find a used Jim Dandy too....curious why they have a such a following, never heard or played one.

and the cheapo wish list goes on and on...............

CHEAPO GUITAR ALERT——- NOW ON SALE !
https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...istoricalItems
Martin Custom Shop OO big leaf maple/alpine spruce

Last edited by Guitartanzon; 11-26-2019 at 09:11 AM.
Old 11-25-2019, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitartanzon View Post

treasure hunting for great sounding and playing cheap guitars ( under $400) and rotating inventory after testing them out is so much more fun than buying higher end ( $1000-2000$ guitars) and dealing the valuation loss and care reguired and larger cash out of pocket outlays.

I am too curious .........I like to experiment with new stuff that hits the market.
I'm in that frame of mind also,
Old 11-25-2019, 05:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
treasure hunting for great sounding and playing cheap guitars ( under $400) and rotating inventory after testing them out is so much more fun than buying higher end ( $1000-2000$ guitars) and dealing the valuation loss and care reguired and larger cash out of pocket outlays.

I also enjoy looking for and finding great value in lower-cost guitars and gear, so we're on the same wavelength! Seek And Ye Shall Find ...
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 11-25-2019, 06:02 PM

I have done the same thing for several years. My price range is a bit higher though.

My inventory of came and went nice guitars include a Guild GAD JF 48, a Blueridge BR 43, a Recording King
Copy of a Martin D 45 and a current Washburn Grand Auditorium.

All are very nice guitars that I really enjoyed but GAS sent them down the road for the next one.

So many great guitars and so little money.
Old 11-25-2019, 06:06 PM

I can find great sounding electrics for less than $200. It's hard to find a used acoustic under $600-700 that sound decent. Most inexpensive acoustics sound like junk to my ears.
Pono 0000-30DC
Yamaha FSX5, LS16, FG830, FSX700SC
Epiphone EF500-RAN
2001 Gibson '58 Reissue LP
2005, 2007 Gibson '60 Reissue LP Special (Red&TV Yel)
1972 Yamaha SG1500, 1978 LP500
Tele's and Strats
1969,1978 Princeton Reverb
1972 Deluxe Reverb
Epiphone Sheraton, Riviera
DeArmond T400
Ibanez AS73
Quilter Superblock US[/I]
Old 11-25-2019, 06:09 PM

I agree! Although I would love to buy a nice, more expensive, super high quality guitar, my spouse wouldn't be supportive of that.

Finding great deals on inexpensive guitars, and upgrading them with my own clean up, set-up, and mods, and sometimes rotating them through my existing collection.. is something that takes up way too much of my time.
Old 11-25-2019, 06:14 PM

Finding great deals on any guitar is excellent. However, you generally get what you pay for. I find that a $300 guitar might be comparable to a $900 guitar but never to a $3,000 guitar. Everyone should play in the pool that excites and encourages them to play more.
Old 11-25-2019, 06:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post
I find that a $300 guitar might be comparable to a $900 guitar but never to a $3,000 guitar.
So...if a $300 guitar might be comparable to a $900 guitar...then a $900 might be comparable to a $2700 guitar? Not sure I understand/agree with the formula or logic here...
2021 Fender Strat American Pro II - Black
2014 Gibson ES-335 Memphis Dot - Cherry
2013 Gibson Les Paul 50’s Tribute P90 - Tobacco
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS
Old 11-25-2019, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTony View Post
So...if a $300 guitar might be comparable to a $900 guitar...then a $900 might be comparable to a $2700 guitar? Not sure I understand/agree with the formula or logic here...
I didn't give one. I said a $300 guitar (with some great deal) MIGHT be comparable to a guitar costing much more - maybe $900. You can get good deals on underprice guitars.
Old 11-25-2019, 07:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTony View Post
Depends on whether the relationship is multiplicative or additive. If the first relationship holds then maybe a $900 guitar is comparable to a $1500 guitar...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 11-25-2019, 07:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post
I didn't give one. I said a $300 guitar (with some great deal) MIGHT be comparable to a guitar costing much more - maybe $900. You can get good deals on underprice guitars.
One can certainly get good deals...on any guitar. Not just “underpriced” guitars.

In your original post you didn’t mention “with some great deal”. Although, I’m not sure that addition changes anything.

Regardless, who doesn’t love a great deal on a piece of gear. But, value is what someone places on an item.

I’ve owned many guitars costing thousands, and many costing hundreds. On more then one occasion I’ve preferred the one that cost less. You don’t always get what you pay for. Sometimes you get more. Sometimes you get less.
2021 Fender Strat American Pro II - Black
2014 Gibson ES-335 Memphis Dot - Cherry
2013 Gibson Les Paul 50’s Tribute P90 - Tobacco
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS
Old 11-25-2019, 07:33 PM

Personally I don't like the shopping experience for anything whether it be in second hand stores, high end stores or even guitar stores, I just don't seem to like shopping. This means I have kept the same guitars for a long time and I'm happy with that.
Old 11-25-2019, 07:43 PM

Quote:
treasure hunting for great sounding and playing cheap guitars ( under $400) and rotating inventory after testing them out is so much more fun than buying higher end ( $1000-2000$ guitars) and dealing the valuation loss and care reguired and larger cash out of pocket outlays..

Hey I am 66, wear two hearing aids.....soon all guitars sound the same to me....cheap or expensive, ha

The Yamaha fs 800 I bought is actually a pretty nice sounding and playing guitar. impressed!

just closed a cheap deal on a fender malibu california series parlor today, Arctic white with gold, yea, I know, looks are way out there, but I kind of like different, so thats my next test. It could be a gem or garbage....will find out...

would like to try one of those Gretsch, white Penguin acoustics, another way out looks design sometime in future..

Trying to find a used Jim Dandy too....curious why they have a such a following, never heard or played one.

and the cheapo wish list goes on and on...............
I agree, those FG/FS 700/800s Yamaha solid spruce tops do sound good! A lot of bang for the buck right there!
Old 11-25-2019, 08:45 PM

The main point is that your having one heck of a time -
thats what its all about -
congratulations on finding what true happiness is for you-
thats all that really matters -enjoying our lives !
God bless you my friend !
Old 11-25-2019, 08:46 PM

I guess it's a sure sign that I'm old and decrepit, plus my hearing is shot. This past Saturday I played two $500 guitars and liked them both. A brand new Epi Hummingbird and a used all solid woods Cort. I liked the tone of the Cort a bit better but both were pretty nice and easy to play. So this is what happens as you fade off into the sunset, every guitar you pick up sounds good. Happy Trails.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion