The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-22-2019, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueser100 View Post
What a terrible story. Im hopeful for a good outcome. I feel very bad that Ben, in good faith, came here looking for help for a highly unusual issue and was met with so much criticism. Kudos to those who urged him to call the manufacturer. Shame on those who sat in judgment and accused him of negligence.
I'm glad someone had the fortitude to say that. I read the thread, thought the same, but I just moved on with out comment...
Old 11-22-2019, 09:09 AM

Default Collings Reputation

I have zero experience with any Collings products, but after hearing their response, I am certainly a fan. I will definitely include them in my GAS window shopping! Top shelf. And best of luck to the OP.
LarryK.
Old 11-22-2019, 09:09 AM

Just to clarify a few things. The guitar was mostly kept in its case when not playing. I'd check it with a hydrometer every so often, putting silica gel packs in the case if I felt it needed it. Some days if I wasn't working I'd just leave it out since I'd usually be playing it most of the day anyway but it didn't just sit out in 80% humidity all the time.
It never showed any signs of being too wet. No change in tone, warping or anything. It just started falling apart.
If Collings decides it was caused by humidity I'll accept it and move on no hard feelings. At this point I really think something else is going on. They seem to agree.

Last edited by Ben M.; 11-22-2019 at 05:28 PM.
Old 11-22-2019, 09:17 AM

Quote:
What a terrible story. Im hopeful for a good outcome. I feel very bad that Ben, in good faith, came here looking for help for a highly unusual issue and was met with so much criticism. Kudos to those who urged him to call the manufacturer. Shame on those who sat in judgment and accused him of negligence.

Thanks. No hard feelings towards anybody. I might have reacted the same way.
I could've been more specific about the conditions I kept in too. Hopefully my post above will clear some things up.
Old 11-22-2019, 09:22 AM
Charter Member

Ben, a very worthwhile call.
And a big shout out to the folks at Collings. Their response does not surprise me at all. Having owned several of their instruments, been to their shop, seeing and hearing first hand how much attention to detail they put into each instrument, they will learn from your Waterloo too. Bill Collings was always innovating and improving, and that legacy lives on today.
Keep us posted, and best regards!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben M. View Post
I talked to Joe at Collings. He talked to several people in the shop and they all agreed what's happening to my guitar isn't normal. He seems to think something did go wrong during construction. He told me they'd seen plenty of guitars that had been wrecked by humidity but have never seen this happen.
They're having me ship the guitar back to them so they can check it out. If they decide it was a problem on their end they're going to send me a new guitar.
I didn't expect this at all. I should have called them when this all started. That they're willing to do this really says a lot about the integrity of the company.

Thanks everyone for the well wishes. I'll keep you all posted.
Old 11-22-2019, 09:22 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Just to clarify a few things. The guitar was mostly kept in its case when not playing. I'd check it with a hydrometer every so often, putting silica gel packs in the case if I felt it needed it. Some days if I wasn't working I'd just leave it out since I'd usually be playing it most of the day anyway but it didn't just sit out in 80% humidity all the time.
It never showed any signs of being too wet. No change in tone, warping or anything. It just started falling apart.
If Collings decides it was caused by humidity I'll except it and move on no hard feelings. At this point I really think something else is going on. They seem to agree.
Usually when there is a failure of this degree, it isn't just one factor but several. I am sure that, as has already been mentioned, the glue played a role as well and there may be something else that Collings discovers that also contributed.

Best,
Jayne
Old 11-22-2019, 09:32 AM

Well I want to point something out as well...

It may very well be that he is technically “negligent”, but bad things happen to good people all the time. Nobody would directly ask for this to happen to their guitar.

I hope you didn’t take my comments or the Larrivee document I posted up poorly. I was genuinely trying to put a realistic possibility on the table that you could indeed technically be at fault. It is definitely in the realm of possibility.

Does that mean I don’t feel bad for you, or that I don’t wish Collings will sort you out? Absolutely not.

I wish you well man. You sound like you are cognizant that it might be your fault, and you are ready to own it if Collings goes in that direction. It’s clear that you are being good and proper about things, so I fully suspect that Collings will sense that and do right by you.

Keep us in the loop. We want this to go well for you for sure my friend!

Best wishes
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 11-22-2019, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbone View Post
Well I want to point something out as well...

It may very well be that he is technically “negligent”, but bad things happen to good people all the time. Nobody would directly ask for this to happen to their guitar.

I hope you didn’t take my comments or the Larrivee document I posted up poorly. I was genuinely trying to put a realistic possibility on the table that you could indeed technically be at fault. It is definitely in the realm of possibility.

Does that mean I don’t feel bad for you, or that I don’t wish Collings will sort you out? Absolutely not.

I wish you well man. You sound like you are cognizant that it might be your fault, and you are ready to own it if Collings goes in that direction. It’s clear that you are being good and proper about things, so I fully suspect that Collings will sense that and do right by you.

Keep us in the loop. We want this to go well for you for sure my friend!

Best wishes

No worries man. I appreciate the help. I'm not completely denying any fault in this. I'm sure I could've been more diligent in taking care of the guitar but I certainly didn't neglect it. I loved this thing so much I sold the rest of my guitars except one I just kept as a backup.
Old 11-22-2019, 10:49 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
If Collings decides it was caused by humidity I'll except it and move on no hard feelings. At this point I really think something else is going on. They seem to agree.
Ben,
It's called a 'hyGrometer'. A 'hyDrometer' "... is an instrument used for measuring the relative density of liquids based on the concept of buoyancy. They are typically calibrated and graduated with one or more scales such as specific gravity."

I know you meant 'hygrometer', but other people who don't know believe stuff they read, at face value.

I'm very pleased to hear that your contact with Collings is working out as I expected it would.

By the way I own a Baby Collings, a Collings mandola AND a Waterloo.

They ALL reside in my atrium where I have a wood burning stove and a Mitsubishi mini split AC & Heat unit.

There are times when the room gets over 80 degrees and 80% humidity during the summer, and drops down to 45-50 degrees overnight with 35-40% humidity during the winter.

Nothing happening to any of my Collings products, or my other vintage or custom made instruments.

That's why Collings absolutely wants to get to the bottom of the situation. That's why they're as good as they are.

They care.

HE
Old 11-22-2019, 10:49 AM

That's awesome they are taking care of you like that. I had a similar situation with a Nash guitar a while back. The neck warped. I was very upfront about having bought it used. They said send it in anyway. Came back 2 weeks later with a new neck.
Old 11-22-2019, 11:04 AM

Just a little reminder...Collings hasn’t committed to anything yet, other than looking at it. The way some in here are talking, it’s almost as if it’s a done deal and they are going to take responsibility. Hopefully they will, but...
2019 PRS Silver Sky

Last edited by Dbone; 11-22-2019 at 03:58 PM.
Old 11-22-2019, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbone View Post
Just a little reminder...Collings hasn’t committed to anything yet, other than looking at. The way some in here are talking, it’s almost as if it’s a done deal and they are going to take responsibility. Hopefully they will, but...
Correct. They need to see it first. I'm gonna wait till Monday to ship it
Old 11-22-2019, 11:35 AM

Offering to replace a used guitar? That is stratospheric customer service!
Cordoba SM-CE Mini Classical Acoustic
Ibanez Blazer 21 MIJ Stratocaster

2 Yamaha PSR-SX900 keyboards I play professionally
Roland FP-90 digital piano I play for pleasure with piano VSTs.
Old 11-22-2019, 12:07 PM

Quote:
On the other hand it's generally considered a good thing to educate the rest of us even if it's at the expense of a bad experience from someone else. Think of it as a sort of civic duty. It's NOT a good idea to leave a guitar out in an environment of 80% humidity and it should not be considered hurting someone's feelings pointing that out.
Old 11-22-2019, 01:52 PM

Collings is a great company. Glad to hear they want to see the guitar, and that they told you straight up "if this is our fault, we will fix it". You can count on them to be honest with you and make it right if something went wrong in construction.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion