The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-21-2019, 03:16 PM

Unhappy

I'm really sorry to hear that this happened to you but guy, you cannot be having your guitar sit in such conditions.

There is a reason why the recommendation is 40 - 60. Best of luck, but I think this may well be your own doing. I obviously don't know this for sure, but Larrivee would suggest that it might be.

It's a real shame...Sorry to hear about your troubles...

Take a look here -->

https://www.larrivee.com/pdfs/Larriv...aintenance.pdf

To quote Larrivee in terms of what can happen if you are running your guitars into environmental humidity conditions in the 80s for more than 3 days -->

"Braces will come loose after a few weeks, top and back will appear very bellied (convex), bridge may loosen or come off, playability will be affected. Fretboard from the 14th on will appear raised. Mildew may form inside the guitar."

If you tip towards 90% (which quite frankly could be happening in your environment for all you know...hygrometer off etc) ->

"All Glue Joints will loosen, Top and Back braces will loosen. Bridge may shear come off the top, the guitar top will expand and belly (become convex) both in front of and behind bridge, if the glue joints do not delaminate then the guitar will be unplayable. Fretboard from the 14th on will appear raised. Mildew may form inside the guitar. Guitar will very likely de-construct itself."

2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 11-21-2019, 03:25 PM
Charter Member

Excellent post Dbone. Thank you.
Old 11-21-2019, 06:46 PM

Yes, this is an excellent post. I missed entirely Ben's post about the 70-80% humidity levels. At 80% I'd be pretty nervous about a light guitar (something around 3 pounds, 3 ounces) like a Waterloo 14. And Collings carries a humidity warning much like Larivee's:

"A guitar that absorbs too much moisture, through high humidity, expands and swells. This distorts the geometry of the guitar and, consequently, its tone and playability. Add high temperature, and humidity can weaken glue joints and even cause them to fail. With prolonged exposure, the glue under the bridge will weaken, allowing the bridge to pull off."

https://www.collingsguitars.com/care/

Of course, this is still guessing, and the extreme damage is still hard to fathom.
Old 11-21-2019, 07:47 PM
Charter Member

I once foolishly left a beater of a guitar in my car on a hot summer day. I wonder if something like that might've happened with the original owner

(Haven't read the whole thread: forgive me if this is a repeat idea)
Old 11-21-2019, 08:24 PM

Unhappy

What a sad story.
Old 11-22-2019, 06:16 AM

It would be wrong to speculate fully, but the OP did mention that it was fine when he got it, and that it took 6 months of exposure in his environment before problems arose. 6 months is a long time to be exposed to the conditions he admitted himself were being presented to the guitar...especially if the guitar is as lightly built as some in this thread are suggesting...I am not familiar with this guitar model...

I would also agree that, with Collings’ reputation, it is very unlikely that the root of the problem lys in anything that they did or did not do when producing the instrument. Companies like that have highly controlled and predictable processes in place. There is a reason they have the reputation they have. That doesn’t just happen by accident.

Having said all this, I wish the OP well. Unfortunately I think he might have just learned an expensive lesson the hard way.

Perhaps a Carbon Fiber guitar would be more suited to your environment. Apparently they have come along way. I am currently waiting for delivery on one myself.

Best of luck. Sucky situation for sure.
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 11-22-2019, 07:09 AM

I talked to Joe at Collings. He talked to several people in the shop and they all agreed what's happening to my guitar isn't normal. He seems to think something did go wrong during construction. He told me they'd seen plenty of guitars that had been wrecked by humidity but have never seen this happen.
They're having me ship the guitar back to them so they can check it out. If they decide it was a problem on their end they're going to send me a new guitar.
I didn't expect this at all. I should have called them when this all started. That they're willing to do this really says a lot about the integrity of the company.

Thanks everyone for the well wishes. I'll keep you all posted.
Old 11-22-2019, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben M. View Post
I talked to Joe at Collings. He talked to several people in the shop and they all agreed what's happening to my guitar isn't normal. He seems to think something did go wrong during construction. He told me they'd seen plenty of guitars that had been wrecked by humidity but have never seen this happen.
They're having me ship the guitar back to them so they can check it out. If they decide it was a problem on their end they're going to send me a new guitar.
I didn't expect this at all. I should have called them when this all started. That they're willing to do this really says a lot about the integrity of the company.

Oh man, I wish you well. That will indeed speak volumes if they replace the guitar.

We're rooting for ya! Here's to hoping for a nice ending on this.
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 11-22-2019, 07:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
If they decide it was a problem on their end they're going to send me a new guitar.
That fits everything I know about the company. The customer support I've received from them is nonpareil. Best I've seen!
Old 11-22-2019, 08:03 AM

This experience is probably good for Collings too - in that anyone reading this is far more apt to buy from them knowing how well they stand behind their products.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 11-22-2019, 08:11 AM

I just did a bit of reading and according to this article, http://www.folkwaymusic.com/new-inst...wl14-xtr-0317/ the Waterloo's are built with fish glue. Many a luthier will have stories about fish glue guitars coming apart in high humidity. So that sounds a lot like your problem.

80% is too high for any guitar built with any kind of glue. Fish glue is great for many applications on a guitar but the owners have to know to treat them properly. I use fish glue for torrified top bracing because it's generally agreed by many well known luthiers to be the best. But you can't use it as a canoe paddle

In the end it sounds like you are being taken care of so that's great.
Old 11-22-2019, 08:17 AM

I live in Indiana, true humidity routinely hits the 70% 80% range during the summer months. I find the air conditioning helps to keep it somewhat under control.

In the winter months humidity can drop into the 25% range. The reason we have a humidifier.

I still have a hygrometer in the room to keep an eye on it.

It is great news that Collins wants to take a look at the guitar and find out how this could happen. This alone makes want to locate a dealer and give them a look see.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 11-22-2019, 08:47 AM

Quote:

Hey, sounds like you found a good way to get a brand new Waterloo...How did you do that again ?

I hope it works and that it's not a too long heat or sun exposure's problem then .
Old 11-22-2019, 08:58 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Thanks for the update and I am glad that you will find out what may be the cause and either get a new guitar or this one repaired once and for all moving forward. I think that there are some very astute posts here that shed light on the most likely causes.

BTW - I was born and raised in Indiana so I know those humid summers! I played one of those laminated Yamaha guitars from the early '70s when I lived there. Really didn't notice much effect on that guitar but it was built like a tank.

Best,
Jayne
Old 11-22-2019, 08:58 AM
Charter Member

Default I bought a lemon

What a terrible story. Im hopeful for a good outcome. I feel very bad that Ben, in good faith, came here looking for help for a highly unusual issue and was met with so much criticism. Kudos to those who urged him to call the manufacturer. Shame on those who sat in judgment and accused him of negligence.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion