The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-29-2019, 07:38 AM

Default Takamine F 340

Hi all - I found a Takamine F 340 on Craigslist from the 70's during the Martin lawsuit era. Supposedly this guitar sounds much like a D 18. The asking price is $300. It is not a solid top. Just seeking anyone's opinions on this guitar and is this a fair price.
Old 11-29-2019, 09:53 AM
Charter Member

My first acoustic was an early 80's F-340 lawsuit. Great guitar! If it's in good shape, I'd say that was a decent price.
Old 11-29-2019, 10:22 AM

I own the F360S, which is a solid top. Though these so-called lawsuit era guitars were modeled on Martin dreadnaughts, and sound pretty good, it is a stretch to say they sound like Martins. A laminate top even less so. I believe the market value of my F360S to be about 400 to 500 dollars. Three hundred for a laminate top sounds a bit high to me. Overall, these lawsuit era guitars may be losing value because of the low prices and quality of newer Chinese imports.

Taylor 856, Taylor GC7, Martin 00-28, Breedlove Oregon Concertina, Breedlove Jeff Bridges Signature, Guild JF55-12, Guild D212, Larrivee OM3, Eastman E20 OM, Farida OT22w, Cordoba Fusion 12 Orchestra, Blueridge BR-361, Pono 0-15 mango, Journey OF-660, Tanglewood TWJP parlor (Nashville tuned), Paul Reed Smith SE Custom.
Old 11-29-2019, 05:28 PM

I would be careful of any guitar in that age range. Neck problems are the number one problem...this could set you back twice what you pay for it..not worth it. If that is your price range there are some pretty good guitars ( new Takamine, Alvarez, Yamaha) that could be had for that price. I bought a Yamaha FG730s years ago and that is still one of my go to guitars that I own. Not a "starter" guitar for sure but a solid keeper. I wouldn't buy it. Now...I do own a newer EF340tt...used but like new, still had the wrapper on the pick guard. This IS their "D-18"...this thing rock, solid spruce top, solid mahogany back and sides, great construction....,Yes, it cost me 900 used ( new is like 1600), but it is amazing. Look around...you never know.
Old 11-30-2019, 05:01 AM

I had the F340S back in the late 70s. It was ok and well made but the tuners were rubbish as I recall. To be honest I didn't have a D-18 to compare it to so I have no idea if it sounded like one. I eventually gave it to my friend's son who was learning to play. Be aware that there are several iterations of the model; the early ones have the 'lawsuit' headstock and the later ones have the 'modern' Takamine design with the pointy end.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion