The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-29-2019, 05:05 PM

Default Humidifier or Not? (San Antonio Area)

For those of you who live in the San Antonio and surrounding areas, do you use humidifiers in your guitars? Or is the humidity here within the specced humidity?
Old 11-29-2019, 05:11 PM

I live somewhat north of you (Mineral Wells), but in the winter when the heat’s on, I usually have to humidify. I’ve got enough invested in my instruments that a humidifier is a small investment to keep them well.
Old 11-29-2019, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper_guitarist View Post
For those of you who live in the San Antonio and surrounding areas, do you use humidifiers in your guitars? Or is the humidity here within the specced humidity?
You live there. What’s the humidity right now? Good baseline for November I bet.

Since it’s Texas and I was once there when it was as hot as the surface of the sun, I’d wager the humidity could be very low in the summer.

But I live in TN and you live in SA so you should know better than me.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 11-29-2019, 05:54 PM
Charter Member

I live in Austin and I don't humidify, but I put the guitars in their cases when the outdoor temperature drops below 40. It happens a few times every winter. You might be more cautious than me. I've lived here for only 40 years...

I actually hate humidifiers because of the calcium in our water. I have tried them for a few winters but cleaning them is a real chore. If the guitar is new, be more careful. If it has made it through a number of winters, my choice is to let it be.
Old 11-29-2019, 07:30 PM
Charter Member

Gruene, Tx area...Yes, humidify in the late Fall/Winter. The heater pulls the humidity down in the 20's% often and for days. I keep my instruments in the case year round and keep a damp sponge in the soundhole. Get a humidity/temp monitor at home depot for $10....not super accurate, but you can tell when humidity drops low.
Old 11-29-2019, 07:37 PM

I live in Austin and keep my guitars on stands, not in their cases. My relative humidity reading is 60% at this moment. It's been a rainy day. I'm more used to seeing the RH around 40-45%, and haven't felt the need to add humidity.
Old 11-29-2019, 07:57 PM

Get an inexpensive hygrometer . I got these, $3 apiece.
IKE TRYEE MINI HYGROMETER. The Two I have are within 1% and 0.5 degrees.

Taylor sz the ideal humidity is 45-55%. Depart from that a lot and you might want to do something to mitigate.
Old 11-29-2019, 08:55 PM

I am also north of San Antonio and I humidify with a room humidifier. With the rain today the room was upper 50'S, but it can get too low as well. I just posted a pic of my new music room in the open mic section.

Y'all are welcome to come to my party next March and we can talk humidity first hand! You are so close, why not?
Old 11-29-2019, 09:43 PM

Well, I am SW of SA and I don't worry about it, until winter when the indoor humidity may drop to the low 30's for a couple weeks then the guitars all go back in the cases with humidifiers (mainly home made). The central air takes care of high humidity during warm weather. I have a bunch of acoustic on stands in the "music room". Not worried about day to day fluctuations. Guitars may be muddy sounding for a day or two during higher humidity, but always get crisp again.
That is just me.
Mike

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion