The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-29-2019, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
Have a look at this thread, not so much specific recommendations, but a useful real-world overview -

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=564798
Good read...thanks. Nashville and New Orleans is my bucket list of places to get to.
Old 11-29-2019, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soma5 View Post
I used a Taylor 340 (?) with built-in pickup and cutaway as my stage guitar for a number of years. I bought it for the purpose but eventually I decided that I wanted to use a guitar I liked better even with the increased risk because I never really wanted to play it at home (i.e. when not gigging) and I thought I should practice with the same equipment I performed with.
I can totally understand that...but I love my D28 and if it got damaged or stolen I'd be devastated. I'd prefer not to take the risk and only use it for studio and home use and perhaps the odd special gig.
Old 11-29-2019, 09:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kojak View Post
I can totally understand that...but I love my D28 and if it got damaged or stolen I'd be devastated. I'd prefer not to take the risk and only use it for studio and home use and perhaps the odd special gig.
In that case I'd get a less-expensive guitar that was as similar as possible to your D-28 so that playing the D-28 at home would still give you realistic practice. The problem with my Taylor was that it was totally different from any of my other guitars. Even then, I used it for my stage guitar for years.

I'd look at other dreadnoughts that cost way less. It should be possible to find one with a similar neck feel for not that much money, probably with a built-in pickup and perhaps laminated construction. You won't want to play it much at home but it will be similar enough to your D-28. Dreadnoughts are the most popular acoustic guitar shape.

I totally get it about not wanting to subject your D-28 to any kind of risk.
Old 05-13-2020, 07:51 AM

I second the Epi DR500. Great playability and plugged in sound won't offend anyone. Can be had for around $500 used and also SOLID wood!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickee View Post
I jerk around with an Epiphone DR500mce. It takes a beating once or twice a week outside of the house. Plugged in sound with the onboard electrics is great for easy plug and play results. I am not, nor have been, advanced in acoustic guitar tone when plugged in. I’ve heard the biggest stars quack with their rigs, and I’m no star so it’s alright with me. The guitar is a lot smoother plugged in than it gets credit for.

It’s a great stage guitar you won’t mind if it got banged around. I’m sure there are plenty around for sale used. Just keep in mind to have about two hundred bucks extra to dial it in with a good set up, dress the fret ends, adjust the nut and saddle and then play the heck out of it. They play really well with D’Addario 80/20ph/br strings. Good luck in your search.
Old 05-13-2020, 11:53 AM
Charter Member

I got the Dean Exotica. A little love to the nut and saddle and you've got a nice player with a decent sound that wont break the bank. I thing I paid around $500.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion