The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-13-2019, 08:39 AM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY
Default which capo for Emerald X10?

Since I ordered the Emerald X10, I feel like I'm preparing to get a new kitten--get the kitty food, the litter, toys, etc.

I asked Kevin what capo Emerald recommends and he said a Thalia. Any other suggestions out there? The X10 has a compound radius.

Thanks.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 12-13-2019, 09:23 AM
Charter Member

For a compound radius, the best choice IMHO would be a G7th Heritage. It's a yoke style capo - I think you tried mine when you were here? They're very expensive but they've got this little mechanism under the pad that adjusts to any radius and, IME, they've worked well on everything from a 7.25" to a 16" radius. BUT, $150 new!

G7th also make a side clamping capo with the same little radius adapting mechanism called the Performance 3 (maybe only about $50 or so?). Lotta people love them. I've tried two and couldn't get either one to work without buzzing strings. And I just don't like the ratcheting method they use on their Performance capos to adjust tightness - it's hard to really fine tune since you're just squeezing the capo around the neck. But, again, many love them, so perhaps worth a shot...

For a great budget capo that will work adequately well on nearly any acoustic guitar, just spend $20 on a Shubb and you're good... If I'd had a brass Shubb before I had the G7th, I'd probably never have spent the money. They're really hard to beat and they're dirt cheap.

Thalias are pretty, but they're heavy and bulky and they kind of do the Kyser trick of using a really heavy spring. So it clamps hard - I always found it pulling strings tight even if you use the perfect radius pad, and there's no way to adjust the pressure on the strings - it's all on or all off. And, they do provide different rubber (or teflon) pads for different radius guitars, but I don't know how well that would work for a guitar with a compound radius... But, as with all things, many people love them. Many people love Kysers too, and I think they're the work of Satan's workshop (if there is such a place), so anything out there might be to your liking.

-Ray
Old 12-13-2019, 09:28 AM

I quite like my Thalias, you can make it match your new guitar, and they're having a big sale right now... 12 days of thalia....
Old 12-13-2019, 09:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenB View Post
Since I ordered the Emerald X10, I feel like I'm preparing to get a new kitten--get the kitty food, the litter, toys, etc.

I asked Kevin what capo Emerald recommends and he said a Thalia. Any other suggestions out there? The X10 has a compound radius.

Thanks.
Aah, capos. I've got three - a Shubb Deluxe, a Planet Waves Tri-Action, and the newest addition, a G7th Performance 3. The G7th has what they call ART - Adaptive Radius Technology - which allows it to adjust to different fingerboard radii automatically. It actually works. I've got guitars that range from 7.5" radius to nearly flat, and it works like a charm with all of them.

Neither of my Emeralds (X20 and X20-7) have compound radius fingerboards, but the G7th is fast becoming my favourite. I can use it up to the fifth fret, at least, with little or no retuning - just a little tweak on the 6th string.

The Planet Waves is the only one I can use one-handed, if that's important to you. The Shubb is just a classic - well-made, reliable workhorse.

The Thalia works well on the X20 as well - a fellow AGFer I met recently had one, with rosewood inlay. It also looks really nice with the red CF
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 12-13-2019, 09:46 AM
Charter Member

Did you end up buying the Green X10 that was in stock?
Old 12-13-2019, 09:54 AM
Charter Member

Thanks Ray, Bongo STL, eatswodo,
I forgot to mention that the few clamping capos I've tried are just too hard for me to squeeze. Probably didn't try the Thalia or the G7. I'll look up all the ones that have been mentioned. Yes, I tried your G7 heritage, Ray. Thanks for the reminder.

I want this for performance to, so I don't want to fuss much with a capo. I've been using a D'addario that's very light, but I've been thinking I need a better one anyway.

Thought I was done with my due diligence, but that was for the guitar! Now onto capos.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 12-13-2019, 09:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hamill View Post
Did you end up buying the Green X10 that was in stock?
Nope. Bought a blemished amber. Somebody else snagged the green one.
Old 12-13-2019, 02:33 PM

First I have heard of the X-10 having a compound radius, but I pretty much ignored it due to the narrow nut width.

What is the taper?
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 12-13-2019, 03:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
First I have heard of the X-10 having a compound radius, but I pretty much ignored it due to the narrow nut width.

What is the taper?
AZliberty, the radius is 12-16.
Old 12-13-2019, 06:28 PM

I've got a Thalia for my X30 which works great. I've not tried a capo on my X10 yet.
Breedlove Blond Jumbo
Yamaha Silent Steel String
Old 12-13-2019, 06:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks Ray, Bongo STL, eatswodo,
I forgot to mention that the few clamping capos I've tried are just too hard for me to squeeze. Probably didn't try the Thalia or the G7.
For what it's worth, Karen, I find the G7th Performance 3 very easy to use. It takes less pressure to clamp it on than I'd exert fretting the strings. It's significantly less than my Planet Waves Tri-Action.

I've not had any trouble with buzzing, unlike Ray - but perusing any capo thread will show you that everyone seems to have a different experience, which is why we keep having capo threads
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 12-13-2019, 07:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
perusing any capo thread will show you that everyone seems to have a different experience, which is why we keep having capo threads
Yeah, like everything else in life!
Old 12-13-2019, 07:17 PM
Charter Member

Thanks Jwellsy. Glad you're liking your Thalia.
Old 12-13-2019, 11:13 PM

Quote:
AZliberty, the radius is 12-16.
Ok, another reason for me to never buy an X-10, I like a much flatter board. My favorite guitar has a compound, but it's 16-21, and a Kyser works just fine.

G7th with the adaptive radius is probably the best option, but they are pricey.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 12-14-2019, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
and the newest addition, a G7th Performance 3. The G7th has what they call ART - Adaptive Radius Technology - which allows it to adjust to different fingerboard radii automatically. It actually works. I've got guitars that range from 7.5" radius to nearly flat, and it works like a charm with all of them.

Neither of my Emeralds (X20 and X20-7) have compound radius fingerboards, but the G7th is fast becoming my favourite. I can use it up to the fifth fret, at least, with little or no retuning - just a little tweak on the 6th string.
There is a G7th Performance 3? I have the Performance 2 which works great on my Rainsong, but not so much on my new semi-baritone X30. No matter what pressure I apply, there is always some string buzz. Must be the heavier strings.
Now I am tempted to get that Performance 3.
Rainsong Smokey SMH
Outdoor Guitalele
Taylor 522e 12-fret ✝
Gitane DG-560 nylon ✝
Alhambra 3C CW
Eastman AR910CE
Recording King RM-991 tricone resonator
Recording King RK-G25 6-string banjo
Thomann Irish Bouzouki M1089

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber