The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-29-2020, 08:18 PM

If you gots the $$$$ and it would make you happy, buy it.
Old 06-30-2020, 07:05 AM

I am so enjoying this thread because it has little or nothing to do with a guitar or music and all to do with personal value and belief systems.

Most salient point made so far, the tone and musicality of the guitar has nothing to do with the price - it is all about the woods.

I know people who picked their parents well and are by reasonable standards well off financially, But, there are certain things they value - some, most interesting. I have a cousin who is a successful defense attorney in DC and drives a 10 year old car, but savors a $300 bottle of wine at dinner in a restaurant. Does it taste that much better than a bottle half the price? - I guess it doesn't matter. He really enjoys it.

I am not a watch guy, but there is a huge market for $10,000+ watches. Does it tell time more accurately than a $200 watch - we all know the answer. But, my guess "watch guy" is as interested in people seeing the watch and what it "symbolizes" than him gaining pleasure in just wearing it. Different motive when you have to make sure people know how much you spent on something than if you simply enjoy it for yourself.

I have had the pleasure of knowing a few people who are wealthy beyond any reasonable norm, and have found all to be very humble, unpretentious and pragmatic - my theory is because they really have nothing to prove to anyone and are comfortable with their situation (some in that position are not). Yet, they all have their particular pockets of personal pleasure. One collects original Remington Western artwork. I can tell you this gentleman spends hours reflecting on the beauty of these paintings, regardless of the price. And, he will answer a question if asked, but never holds them out as expensive items (they are).

I have a friend who enjoys bicycling and his bike is shockingly expensive to me. Built from individual purchased components to suit his riding style and goals, he has over $14,000 invested in his bike. And, is buying a pair of carbon fiber wheels for $5,500 (because it might gain him a 1 pound advantage in weight of the bike). But, to him - that is of extreme value.

For me, as a new player, I take great satisfaction in not only holding my new D28 Modern Deluxe in my hands and "playing" it (as best I can at the moment), but also enjoy just seeing it on my wall and thinking about the process under which it was constructed, as well as the history behind its heritage. It is more to me than just a guitar. It is, indeed, a work of art.

I doubt if I would ever tell anyone what I paid for it, which they might find shocking - but, to me it is irrelevant. My pleasure comes from many perspectives.

So, if someone wants to spend that kind of money - I would ask them if it is important to make sure people know what they spent or not. If so, then be aware they will need something else eventually to raise the bar. And, whatever the reasoning, there is always a market for last year's ego supplement and that in itself is not a bad thing for the rest of us.

Bottom line - enjoy the ride today. Tomorrow may not allow you to get on the bike.
Old 06-30-2020, 07:30 AM

That is absurdly priced for a new Martin. You could, for that price, pick up a great prewar Martin (not a D-45), but great dreadnought all the same and you won’t lose half the value driving it off the lot. By most rational measures, I am not sensible when it comes to guitars (nobody needs as many guitars as I have), but even I couldn’t justify this one. It’s all personal though, so maybe this is your thing. But if I want to spend $50k on a Brazilian Martin dreadnought, it’s probably a no-issues 40/41 D-28.
Old 06-30-2020, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rixtoy View Post
I am so enjoying this thread because it has little or nothing to do with a guitar or music and all to do with personal value and belief systems.

Most salient point made so far, the tone and musicality of the guitar has nothing to do with the price - it is all about the woods.

I know people who picked their parents well and are by reasonable standards well off financially, But, there are certain things they value - some, most interesting. I have a cousin who is a successful defense attorney in DC and drives a 10 year old car, but savors a $300 bottle of wine at dinner in a restaurant. Does it taste that much better than a bottle half the price? - I guess it doesn't matter. He really enjoys it.

I am not a watch guy, but there is a huge market for $10,000+ watches. Does it tell time more accurately than a $200 watch - we all know the answer. But, my guess "watch guy" is as interested in people seeing the watch and what it "symbolizes" than him gaining pleasure in just wearing it. Different motive when you have to make sure people know how much you spent on something than if you simply enjoy it for yourself.

I have had the pleasure of knowing a few people who are wealthy beyond any reasonable norm, and have found all to be very humble, unpretentious and pragmatic - my theory is because they really have nothing to prove to anyone and are comfortable with their situation (some in that position are not). Yet, they all have their particular pockets of personal pleasure. One collects original Remington Western artwork. I can tell you this gentleman spends hours reflecting on the beauty of these paintings, regardless of the price. And, he will answer a question if asked, but never holds them out as expensive items (they are).

I have a friend who enjoys bicycling and his bike is shockingly expensive to me. Built from individual purchased components to suit his riding style and goals, he has over $14,000 invested in his bike. And, is buying a pair of carbon fiber wheels for $5,500 (because it might gain him a 1 pound advantage in weight of the bike). But, to him - that is of extreme value.

For me, as a new player, I take great satisfaction in not only holding my new D28 Modern Deluxe in my hands and "playing" it (as best I can at the moment), but also enjoy just seeing it on my wall and thinking about the process under which it was constructed, as well as the history behind its heritage. It is more to me than just a guitar. It is, indeed, a work of art.

I doubt if I would ever tell anyone what I paid for it, which they might find shocking - but, to me it is irrelevant. My pleasure comes from many perspectives.

So, if someone wants to spend that kind of money - I would ask them if it is important to make sure people know what they spent or not. If so, then be aware they will need something else eventually to raise the bar. And, whatever the reasoning, there is always a market for last year's ego supplement and that in itself is not a bad thing for the rest of us.

Bottom line - enjoy the ride today. Tomorrow may not allow you to get on the bike.
I enjoyed reading this comment and the various well made points included in it.

Instructive for a number of different reasons and applicable to many who seem to want to assign their opinion, to others course of action.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 06-30-2020, 09:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Yes, this is very well stated!

And how cool that you've got yourself a Martin D-28 Modern Deluxe!

I own a Martin D-45 built in 2018, though it's not a Brazilian rosewood version. I really love this guitar! I put up a video just yesterday using this guitar. To me, it was well worth the price, though it was heavily discounted. My D-28 not only is made from good woods, it also sounds fantastic.

- Glenn
Old 06-30-2020, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Yes, this is very well stated!

And how cool that you've got yourself a Martin D-28 Modern Deluxe!

I own a Martin D-45 built in 2018, though it's not a Brazilian rosewood version. I really love this guitar! I put up a video just yesterday using this guitar. To me, it was well worth the price, though it was heavily discounted. My D-28 not only is made from good woods, it also sounds fantastic.

- Glenn
Thank you, Sir.
No videos on my horizon, but I am gunning for a show-off 7th grader named Dillon at our next class recital (I am 70 . . .) - his cross string C-Major scale is MINE!
Old 06-30-2020, 10:16 AM
Charter Member

I haven't played one but I've played all the other Authentic models. I would assume that D-45A model would represent the best of what Martin can do in every way so I would imagine they are tough to beat aside from buying a 1930s or 40s Martin. I saw one in a case at Hollywood guitar center once but that is closest I've gotten.

High End Guitar Review Videos.
www.youtube.com/user/rockinb23
Old 06-30-2020, 10:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Very well said! The D-45 Authentic wouldn't be for me regardless of price due to the bling factor (that's just me?) but if someone can afford it and wants it I sure don't have a problem with it. And congrats on your new D-28 MD...very nice guitar!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 06-30-2020, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca1979 View Post
I’m thinking about selling some of my guitar gear to fund the purchase of a D-45 1936 Authentic.
Since it’s a very expensive guitar, I’d like to hear your opinion about it.
If anyone has tried it, if anyone thinks it’s an overpriced nonsense, if anyone loves it... any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Welcome to the forum.

I've played a custom shop D-45 in Brazilian rosewood that was very much like the 1936 Authentic, and yet only cost around $35,000. (Only!) It was a spectacular guitar, and this comes from someone who is only interested in owning mahogany guitars. Incredible overtones, and sustain that just wouldn't stop.

I used to play house concerts with the friend who owned it, and it would be one of several Martins that he would show up with to a jam. From that perspective, it was a nice guitar to have around. However, it's not the sort of guitar you'd want to take to an open mike, or a bar/restaurant sort of gig. That would be akin to parking in the Home Depot lot in your Ferrari. Sometimes it's just better to have a pickup truck.
Old 06-30-2020, 12:54 PM

At that price, they would have to throw in an extra set of strings and a few picks. Then, it's worth every penny.
Cordoba SM-CE Mini Classical Acoustic
Ibanez Blazer 21 MIJ Stratocaster

2 Yamaha PSR-SX900 keyboards I play professionally
Roland FP-90 digital piano I play for pleasure with piano VSTs.
Old 06-30-2020, 01:27 PM

There is a great truth:

"Never try to affix value to a luxury good"

This applies to EVERYTHING....cars, wine, guitars, you name it.
Don't fall into the trap of "Is it 20 times better than X?" The answer to that will always be NO. And that's not the point of a luxury item. Rolex and Timex do the exact SAME thing.
Your money, your choice.
Kremona Kiano
Ramsay Hauser
Cordoba C10
Chris Walsh Archtop
Gardiner Concert
Taylor Leo Kottke
Gretsch 6120
Pavan TP30
Aria A19c
Hsienmo MJ

Ukuleles:
Cocobolo 5 string Tenor
Kanilea K3 Koa
Kanilea K1 Walnut Tenor
Kala Super Tenor
Rebel Super Concert
Nehemiah Covey Tenor
Mainland Mahogany Tenor
Mainland Cedar/Rosewood Tenor
Old 01-16-2021, 05:22 PM

Default I’ve played one..

Old thread I realize. But I’ve owned a D-45 Authentic (1942 version) for 9 years. I’ve played it to the point that it definitely needs a fret dress on the first couple frets if not a refret.
It’s THE best sounding acoustic guitar I’ve ever played. I’ve not had a chance to play a great vintage Martin dread. (I played several with issues, repairs, etc. but never a great one so I can’t compare). Ask the music emporium or a variety of other high-end dealerships what they think of these… It’s pretty universal that they are exceptional. Worth the money? Completely different question.
Btw. I had the opportunity briefly to A/B this with the 1936 version… I could not hear a difference. I was considering selling mine for the bigger one and three-quarter inch neck but they were so similar I decided not to take the financial hit. Both fantastic though.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion