The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 10-28-2005, 04:37 PM
Eric Skye

Default New Jazz Box: OM/PW!

For the last few years every time I came across a Santa Cruz OM/PW in a store I always left thinking thinking how truly great these guitars are. Last week a student got one and brought it in for a lesson. Hearing one in my own house had me on the phone the next morning with my Visa card. This is absolutely my main guitar now. I really don’t ever remember being so excited about a new guitar.

Old 10-28-2005, 04:41 PM

hey congrats!! welcome to the club!!! I absolutely love mine and know that you'll get some extended use outta yours
Old 10-28-2005, 04:46 PM

Congrats.........one of my favorite OM's......
Old 10-28-2005, 04:57 PM

Congrats! That is beautiful. (A while ago I looked at some Larrivees and wound up admiring a Santa Cruz OM/PWs and a slope-shouldered dread). So a student got one? I used to teach other instruments, but something struck me with guitar, and I wondered how many teachers have students with far more expensive instruments than they have.
Old 10-28-2005, 05:38 PM

Hey Eric,

Congratulations!!! I'll bet that guitar sounds like a million bucks, especially in your hands. I'll be it sounds great through your new AG-50DS3 too.

Way to go!
Old 10-28-2005, 05:52 PM

Eric: Not to hijack your thread, but I just saw your tagline and realized who you are. I just want to say that a friend suggested I check out your site a couple of weeks ago, and I'm glad I did. Great playing. I had to check out "Black Orpheus" first, since that was a favorite to play on sax; I really like your rendition. I just felt compelled to mention that.
Old 10-28-2005, 05:56 PM
Eric Skye

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbp0701
.....I wondered how many teachers have students with far more expensive instruments than they have.
I taught in the Pacific Heights neighborhood of San Francisco for ten years. Many many students had much much nicer guitars, and more of them, than I’ll ever have. During the whole dot com thing I had one beginner with a great Taylor, he really wanted to do something from the Clapton Unplugged CD so of course he had to run out and get the Martin signature model. A few weeks later- still unable to get though a few bars of the Clapton tune, he wanted to try the intro to Hey Joe, for which he picked up a REALLY nice Strat...this went on for about year and half. I don’t think he plays anymore, but he’s got a pretty serious collection.
Old 10-28-2005, 06:11 PM

Eric,
Many happy inspirational hours with your new guitar.
At least, until a new one strikes your fancy.
Old 10-28-2005, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Eric: Not to hijack your thread, but I just saw your tagline and realized who you are. I just want to say that a friend suggested I check out your site a couple of weeks ago, and I'm glad I did. Great playing. I had to check out "Black Orpheus" first, since that was a favorite to play on sax; I really like your rendition. I just felt compelled to mention that.
+ 1

Eric,

I love your straight ahead approach with acoustic guitar! Incidentally; what acoustic did you record "My Romance" & "Black Orpheus" with?

Thanks........
Old 10-28-2005, 07:16 PM
Eric Skye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surreal McCoy
+ 1

Eric,
......Incidentally; what acoustic did you record "My Romance" & "Black Orpheus" with?.....
Thanks

“My Romance” was a Taylor 712, and “Black Orpheus” was a Kenny Hill Madrid model classical.
Old 10-28-2005, 07:45 PM

Eric: That's a great story and about what I imagined. I once saw a group class where the guy teaching it had to have the least expensive guitar there, which made me think about that. I taught some sax and clarinet in my college days. I guess even the student models of those instruments are expensive enough already to make a lot of people cringe.
Old 10-28-2005, 07:58 PM

I've played the OM/PW and think they are just simply remarkable in terms of tone...great git..lots of power..hugh tone
Old 10-28-2005, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Eric: That's a great story and about what I imagined. I once saw a group class where the guy teaching it had to have the least expensive guitar there, which made me think about that. I taught some sax and clarinet in my college days. I guess even the student models of those instruments are expensive enough already to make a lot of people cringe.
This reminds of my time with jazz guitarist Billy Bauer. Students used walk in with their Gibsons or handmade jazz boxes, and Billy had his $150 nylon string. Billy used to look, smile and compliment the guitar, then proceed, saying 'O.K., let's play'. Quickly students realized, it's not the guitar that makes music.
BTW, Billy had a D'Angelico at home.
Old 10-28-2005, 08:29 PM

I convinced a friend of mine to buy an OM/PW after I played one in the local store. It was simply the best sounding guitar in there - very resonant and light. It's become his main guitar and this is a guy with a couple of pre-war Martins!
Old 10-29-2005, 08:42 PM
Eric Skye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevelman
I convinced a friend of mine to buy an OM/PW after I played one in the local store. It was simply the best sounding guitar in there - very resonant and light. It's become his main guitar and this is a guy with a couple of pre-war Martins!
I’ve been amazed how often they’ve been my favorite in a store full of much higher priced OMs... But having recently bumped the MSRP by another $400, it’s getting pretty hard to see them as “budget” small shop OMs.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops