The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 04-13-2021, 09:19 PM

Default Doerr guitar build

Hi all I'm having mr tom doerr build me a modified dreadnought in his signature style with a tunnel redwood top and african black wood back and sides with a burl rosette outlined in black pearl he sent me some pictures today and it looked so nice I wanted to show it off he also did burl top trim and end graph with brazilian rosewood binding its looking beautiful here some pictures he sent me before its sent to the finishers.

Last edited by Kerbie; 04-16-2021 at 01:18 AM.
Old 04-13-2021, 10:15 PM

Classy! I like it! Is the heel of the neck really that thin or is there a significant portion ‘dovetailing’ into the neck block? It’s very cool, I’ve just never seen the heel of the neck so slim before.
Collings OM2H T Traditional
Waterloo WL-14
Furch LJ-10SR Little Jane Travel Guitar Spruce/EIR
Old 04-14-2021, 04:49 AM

Yeah im pretty sure a good portion of it is dove tailed into the body i think the thinness of the heel makes for easier access to the higher frets
Old 04-14-2021, 04:57 AM

Interesting choice of woods for a dread. I had approached him on a build not long ago and learned he only used Brazilian any more. That's where it stopped. How were you able to persuade him to use something else?

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 04-14-2021, 05:15 AM

Thanks i think it will have a nice tone but I had those woods ordered a year and a half ago I think its pretty hard to get wood nowadays since the virus stuff and he's us using the brazilian stash he has on hand just my best guess
Old 04-14-2021, 08:12 AM
Charter Member

You need to get a moderator to move this thread to the Custom Shop part of the forum. I am also considering a Doerr with ABW and he did not indicate that it is not a possibility. Beautiful looking guitar with some great choices in specs. How long before it is ready for delivery?
Maple Beneteau for sale
Old 04-14-2021, 08:21 AM
Charter Member

Magnificent.
Old 04-14-2021, 08:31 AM

Very beautiful! You're very fortunate!!
My build with Tom was an amazing experience and the guitar remains my main instrument to this day.
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 04-14-2021, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny B View Post
You need to get a moderator to move this thread to the Custom Shop part of the forum. I am also considering a Doerr with ABW and he did not indicate that it is not a possibility. Beautiful looking guitar with some great choices in specs. How long before it is ready for delivery?
I'm not sure how long untill it's finished I would imagine not very depending on how long it takes finishers to get done I would say 2 months just a guess but he is supposed to send me more pictures from the finishers soon and I'll post them too and yeah a moderator can move this if needed
Old 04-14-2021, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post
Interesting choice of woods for a dread. I had approached him on a build not long ago and learned he only used Brazilian any more. That's where it stopped. How were you able to persuade him to use something else?
There's another guy in the custom sub forum with an EIR cedar mod d build. I love some Brazilian rosewood, but already have 2 exquisite guitars. I know he now offers EIR. I'm hoping to order something like his mod d next year with EIR so I don't have to worry as much if something happens to it.
Old 04-14-2021, 10:52 AM
Resident Guitar Hack

Sweet! She’s a beauty!

FOR SALE: 2023 Martin 000-15SM 12 fret w/ K&K mini

Old 04-14-2021, 11:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
Sweet! She’s a beauty!

Congrats on your upcoming guitar from one of the best builders! I know it will sound and play as beautifully as it looks.
I bought a Doerr Solace from a guitar shop about 5 years ago. It seemed like the best guitar in the shop that day. After some time at home, I found it to be the best sounding guitar I have ever played.
I did a custom order with Tom for my “ideal guitar”, a smaller Legacy cutaway in BRW and Adi spruce, with a Manzer wedge and arm bevel. He accommodated my odd request for using malachite ( a favorite gemstone) in several places- fret markers, bridge pins, and in a clever sound hole design. Moreover he made it all about the wood and the sound, as requested, with little bling but incredibly beautiful wood and woodwork, and sound! Will post pics if there is interest.
Tom was a pleasure to work with, as you have seen.
As for the guitar, for a couple of years my older, larger Solace was the tone king. But my custom Legacy has now grown up to be a mature, wonderful sounding guitar that fits me like a glove. It is light, responsive, inspiring, and comfortable.
I’ve worked with four luthiers on custom builds. I’m not an expert but have some experience. Tom is among the best to work with and his guitars are among the best ever. I’m glad to see his work featured here.
Old 04-14-2021, 11:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibsonjk View Post
Hi all I'm having mr tom doerr build me a modified dreadnought in his signature style with a tunnel redwood top and african black wood back and sides with a burl rosette outlined in black pearl he sent me some pictures today and it looked so nice I wanted to show it off he also did burl top trim and end graph with brazilian rosewood binding its looking beautiful here some pictures he sent me before its sent to the finishers

Congrats on your upcoming guitar from one of the best builders! I know it will sound and play as beautifully as it looks.
I bought a Doerr Solace from a guitar shop about 5 years ago. It seemed like the best guitar in the shop that day. After some time at home, I found it to be the best sounding guitar I have ever played.
I did a custom order with Tom for my “ideal guitar”, a smaller Legacy cutaway in BRW and Adi spruce, with a Manzer wedge and arm bevel. He accommodated my odd request for using malachite ( a favorite gemstone) in several places- fret markers, bridge pins, and in a clever sound hole design. Moreover he made it all about the wood and the sound, as requested, with little bling but incredibly beautiful wood and woodwork, and sound! Will post pics if there is interest.
As for the guitar, for a couple of years my older, larger Solace was the tone king. But my custom Legacy has now grown up to be a mature, wonderful sounding guitar that fits me like a glove. It is light, responsive, inspiring, and comfortable.
I’ve worked with four luthiers on custom builds. I’m not an expert but have some experience. Tom is among the best to work with and his guitars are among the best ever. I’m glad to see his work featured here.
Old 04-14-2021, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellHawaii View Post
Thanks alot yeah im really looking forward to playing this one anyone I know or hear of that has played toms guitars say there some of the best and he does do awesome work for sure and yeah I'd like to see the pictures of yours with the gemstone he did my odd request for burl top trim and a 3 ring rosette with burl and black pearl and it turned out awesome in my opinion one of the best looking guitars I've seen he also mentioned that he enjoyed building this one because it was the only one he was working on at the time instead of doing 3 or 4 at a time he got to spend alot of time on it and it shows very beautiful work

Last edited by gibsonjk; 04-17-2021 at 08:40 AM.
Old 04-17-2021, 02:01 PM
Charter Member

Default Doerr guitar build

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibsonjk View Post
Thanks alot yeah im really looking forward to playing this one anyone I know or hear of that has played toms guitars say there some of the best and he does do awesome work for sure and yeah I'd like to see the pictures of yours with the gemstone he did my odd request for burl top trim and a 3 ring rosette with burl and black pearl and it turned out awesome in my opinion one of the best looking guitars I've seen he also mentioned that he enjoyed building this one because it was the only one he was working on at the time instead of doing 3 or 4 at a time he got to spend alot of time on it and it shows very beautiful work

IMG_8890.jpgIMG_8888.jpgIMG_8889.jpg
Thanks for asking!!! ...here is my Doerr Legacy.
Malachite inlay in fretmarkers, soundport, and bridge pins.
The malachite stone on the headstock is my stick-on addition, which most of my guitars have, and Tom cannot be blamed for that!
French polish, BRW back and fretboard, Adi top.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop