The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-02-2021, 09:25 AM

Default Issue with 1st string 3rd fret. Requires too much pressure

Hello folks, I have a master built 400, haven't played it in a while. Seems like note won't fret properly unless I'm right next to the fret. When I play an A minor and try to play 3rd fret 1st string with pinky finger, it doesn't sound clean. I don't have big enough fingers to stretch to end of fret. A few other strings seem to require more pressure than usual. Strings are fairly new 12s, switched from 11s. Set up seems fine. Recently bought a Taylor American dream. All notes play perfect, and playability is a dream. am I spoiled by the Taylor. Any advice much appreciated
Old 07-02-2021, 10:08 AM
Charter Member

First, if you are playing the 3rd fret on the treble e string, that's a G note so the chord would be A7 or A Dominant 7. That adds the flatted 7th note of the scale. Secondly, if you can play it on the Taylor, it's probably not technique but perhaps a low fret or a worn fret on the G note which is very common since that's a very common note. To check for that take a small straight edge that will cover 3 frets and see if there's any rocking. If you are using your pinky, I'd assume (yes, I know I shouldn't assume) you are using 123 or 213 on the D, G, and B strings. You can try to use a partial barre using the index finger and the middle or ring finger (I use the ring) to play that G. That frees up your pinky to play the A note at the 5th fret should you want to play the "long A". Keep at it as you will eventually be able to play the note right up against the fret.

The A minor would be played with the index finger playing the third of the chord flatted one semi-tone or one fret, so it would be the C note on the second string, first fret rather than the C# on the second string, second fret. The notes of an A cord are the 1,3,5 of the scale or the AC#E, while the A minor flats the 3rd of the chord making it a minor 3rd or ACE. Finally, an easier way to play the A7 is just to take off the fretted G string at the second fret changing that A to the open G. You can play that with the index and middle or the middle and ring which may be more common. There are lots of easy guitar theory sites on YouTube. If you already knew all this and just made a typo, then this is for the other readers. Good luck.

BTW, I'm a Massachusetts native and grew up in Canton and Falmouth, MA. I've been in California since 1988. Go Pats, Go Sox!!!!

Last edited by blindboyjimi; 07-02-2021 at 10:49 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion