The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 10-09-2020, 12:04 PM

Default Eastman AR605CED vs. AR503CE

Hello!

I have a exclusively problem. I want to buy a archtop guitar, but in Austria I have no chance to test my favorite models.
I'm only able to test the AR503CE - but not the AR605CED. So maybe someone played this two models and can give me some advise.

To my playing style: I'm a acoustic player (mainly a H&D TOM-R) and want to search for some diffrent sound colors in my songs. I play much fingerpicking with thumbpick.
The other reason that I want such a guitar is, that this year I've sold my last E-guitar (PRS Custom 24), cause the fretboard was too small for my playing.
But I own a Yamaha G100-212III Transistor Amp which nobody is interesting for.
So I think archtops with pickup would be sound very nice over this amp and I can do some recordings with this (like Chet Atkins Style).

Eastman seems really good for me, cause the guitar / price relation is good. Also they have mainly a 1 3/4" nutwidth - this I also have on my H&D.

The laminated versions are not my favorites, cause I love acoustic sound and I think that's worth for massive tops. This I can hear in some youtube-vids.
And I'm not playin in band - so feedback is no problem for me.

Next week I'm going to test the AR503CE, but I know yet, that some questions would be stay:
* Is the acoustic difference really that big and audible from the partially massive to the massive guitar. Or are they just nuances?
* Do I need the bridge pickup to get a "chet atkins sound". Is the additional pickup the thing which make this guitar more versatile?

I know that all in guitar and sound is personal taste - but maybe some owner can tell something about.
The price difference is exactly 1000Eur, it's a lot of money but full ok for massive wood guitar. If the AR503CE sounds good for me than it's ok to buy it.
But I'm afraid if later I have the chance to play a AR605CED I'll think "Oh my god, what a difference - I bought the wrong one"

It's really difficult, cause I knew, when I'm able to play all two guitars and can compare it, that in a half hour I can decide which is the right one for me.
The chance to play all two is to drive 800km (to germany) - there's the next store which have both. In times of covid-19 not so easy...

So please let me know your experience

cheers
Walter
Old 10-09-2020, 04:59 PM

Walter, if you haven’t already done so you might post this question to the jazz guitar online forum that’s hosted in, I believe, the Netherlands. A lot of European contributors, and a lot of people with experience playing and owning Eastman archtops. I myself have only played an AR803CE owned by my wife. A lively and lovely guitar. In fact I have borrowed it for awhile, and am going to go play it now. Good luck with your search!
Old 10-09-2020, 05:11 PM

Thumbs up

Thanks for the hint!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops