The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 08-05-2005, 06:47 AM

Default Andersen Archtops - Wow!

Got to play an Andersen archtop the other day and I'm ruined. What at awesome guitar. Anyone else here get to play one/own one? They play and sound as nice as they look.

Old 08-05-2005, 07:26 AM

Red face They are a great sounding archtop

I purchased an Andersen 16" on sound alone. I was a new player, barely able to play a half dozen chords and heard the archtop played in a guitar botique. The sound was capturing. Both the "cool" jazz sound of an archtop, but it had the attractive sound of a powerfull OM style steel string guitar. I was taken with the instrument.

The Andersen 16 Standard is the "plain jane" of the stunning guitar line. It never fails to draw attention when it comes out of its case. Plays well, sounds good plugged or unplugged. A true keeper. You should hear it with acoustic blues songs.....ahhh...
Old 08-05-2005, 08:16 AM

Man, those are beautiful guitars! Can't say that I've heard one, although I probably have unknowingly. Enjoy them!

DJanzen
'06 52RI Tele
Old 08-05-2005, 08:18 AM
minister of twang

steve does amazing work. i love the little archie. saw bill frisell playing one a few times.
l'twangage
Old 08-05-2005, 09:47 AM

Steve is one of our local Seattle treasures. If anyone was going to pick up the mantle of Bennedetto and D'Aquisto, I'd put my money on him.
Old 08-05-2005, 10:10 AM

I have played a few, including one of his "entry-level" Streamline models and a more expensive Emerald City. Both were very nice guitars and held their own against the other instruments I played that day--vintage Gibsons, a few D'Angelicos ('real' ones), a few Buscarinos, a Zeidler, and a Comins, which I later purchased.

There a number of good archtop builders out there carrying on the legacy of the two "D"s. To me, Benedetto and Monteleone are sort of the second generation, with guys like Buscarino, Comins, Andersen, and Campellone (talk about a killer guitar for a killer price) carrying the torch further on down the line.

The work that goes into an archtop is pretty incredible...take a look at Benedetto's book on the subject. It's amazing to me that some of the one-man shops are producing hand-carved tops/backs/tailpeices for the same price as some factory flattops.

Nilus

Last edited by Nilus; 08-05-2005 at 10:16 AM.
Old 08-05-2005, 10:17 AM

Gorgeous looking archtops. Recently stumbled across this link at the "12th Fret" in Toronto on one of the true "original" archtop artisans. Check this one out:
http://www.12fret.com/used/dAquisto_pg.html

It's a D'Aquisto and the price is more than my first house! But, ohmahgawd, what a piece of artwork. I don't know who's gonna buy this, but I would presume a real "pro" or maybe a collector of fine guitar art!

1992 Taylor 855
2000 Deering Sierra

2009 Recording King RD-16SN ~ "utility"
2009 Martin HD-28
Old 08-05-2005, 11:59 AM

That is a ridiculously amazing guitar. In my opinion, D'Aquisto's guitars are simply the best archtops that will ever exist. He took everything D'Angelico had done and then added a modern aesthetic that has been copied ever since--dig those slightly tweaked soundholes, the raked pickguard, etc, etc. The D'Angelicos I've played were amazing guitars, but largely designed for a different era.

D'Aquistos are just timeless. If only I wanted to sell all my instruments and add a little more money, I might be able to have one of his laminated thinlines from the late 70s.

Nilus
Old 08-05-2005, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 815C
Got to play an archtop the other day and I'm ruined. What at awesome guitar. Anyone else here get to play one/own one? They play and sound as nice as they look.
815C
I have played one last year at the Long Island Guitar show, and I have to say, it's one of the best sounding guitars I've played. The setup wasn't all that great, but that's only a minor detail and didn't take anything away from sound.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops