The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 03-10-2005, 02:04 AM

Default Martin C1 Archtop, round soundhole

I just played a Martin C1 tonight, an old (1936?) archtop with a round soundhole instead of the common f-holes. Very nice, crisp sound. Anyone know anything about this model?
Old 01-07-2024, 06:52 AM
Charter Member

Can anyone recommend a case that will fit this guitar?
Old 01-07-2024, 08:45 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by robey View Post
Can anyone recommend a case that will fit this guitar?
The C-1 is 15” across, making it a 000 size.

Plenty of case choices available, but assume that a bit more depth is needed in the middle, so choose an arched case over a flat case.

HE
Old 01-09-2024, 04:07 PM
Charter Member

Hi there Mark.

I have a 1931 Martin C1 with round sound hole. It's a beautiful instrument. Couple things that I have really loved about it:

- It has bar frets, versus modern fret wire. The frets sit quite deep and a substantially higher, but do not require you to press the strings all the way to the fretboard. Which took a bit to get used to, but once I became accustomed to it, WOW. The ease of playing is really something unique.

- The deep V neck is surprisingly comfortable. It pulls out a very different playing from me. I drop all the flashy Dave Matthews style finger candy and resort to a simpler, mellow style every time. I truly love that about these old Martins.

- The lacquer is incredibly thin. I think it really allows the guitar to open up and after 90+ years, it sure has.

- Lightest guitar I've played... can hold it for hours and hours.

And lastly, I get so many inquiries about it. "What in the world is that?!?" It's such a conversation starter!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0616.JPG (110.3 KB, 73 views)

Current:
  • '17 Bourgeois LDBO/12 Aged Tone w/K&K Pure Mini
  • '80's Larrivee C-05 w/LR Baggs Dual Source
  • '09 Gretsch White Falcon 6136T
  • '99 Jerry Jones Singlecut
  • '92 Epiphone PR300
  • '99 Fender JG26SCE Mini Jumbo w/Fishman Prefix
  • Vox Cambridge 30
  • Helix Convert

Previously Owned:
  • '32 Martin C-1 Archtop w/K&K Pure Mini

Last edited by Brodie; 01-09-2024 at 04:36 PM.
Old 01-09-2024, 04:48 PM
Charter Member

Default Case for '30's Martin C-1

I have a Martin branded TKL case that fits really nicely.

If I recall correctly, I think it is sized for an OM. However, I'm not sure how to identify it specifically. Maybe someone with more knowledge on TKL cases could help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3559.jpg (129.1 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3560.jpg (125.0 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3561.jpg (98.1 KB, 73 views)

Current:
  • '92 Epiphone PR300
  • Vox Cambridge 30
  • Helix Convert

Previously Owned:
Old 01-09-2024, 07:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
I have a Martin branded TKL case that fits really nicely.

If I recall correctly, I think it is sized for an OM. However, I'm not sure how to identify it specifically. Maybe someone with more knowledge on TKL cases could help.
Cool. Thanks, that’s helpful. Yes, that’s their OM case. The depth of the TKL arch top cases is consistent, butI was concerned with the neck angle/how high the bridge might cut into the top of the case and it looks like with yours it’s just fitting in there.

What kind of strings do you like on theC1? I have some John Pearse 610LM Bronze and Silk on order, they looked interesting, usually go with New mediums but thought they might be to much. I play my guitar in open D. (Mines actually a Regal Model 1932 which looks to be pretty much a copy of the C1.)
Old 01-10-2024, 06:03 AM

(Mines actually a Regal Model 1932 which looks to be pretty much a copy of the C1.)[/QUOTE]

I too have a Regal model 1932, a round hole archtop. I use a Martin set, #545, phosphor bronze, with gauges 12.5-55. This set was formally offered in 80/20 bronze(my preference), but those were discontinued.

My own Regal handles this set just fine, and work well for my playing styles( vintage jazz, Americana, flat- and fingerpicking).
Old 01-10-2024, 08:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robey View Post
Cool. Thanks, that’s helpful. Yes, that’s their OM case. The depth of the TKL arch top cases is consistent, butI was concerned with the neck angle/how high the bridge might cut into the top of the case and it looks like with yours it’s just fitting in there.

What kind of strings do you like on theC1? I have some John Pearse 610LM Bronze and Silk on order, they looked interesting, usually go with New mediums but thought they might be to much. I play my guitar in open D. (Mines actually a Regal Model 1932 which looks to be pretty much a copy of the C1.)
It's amazing the things one forgets and then recalls when prompted... so now that you said your reservation on this case.... I remember!

I did remove the neck rest of this case and cut down the height of it to adjust for the neck angle.

I let the guitar sit in the case and measured the gap between the neck and the neck rest closest to the body of the guitar. Then cut that amount off the bottom of the forward neck rest (nearest the headstock). Then kept taking small cuts until it nestled perfectly and snuggly in there. Has worked nicely ever since.

Strings:
I have been using the Martin Retro MM12 Monel strings. So far, I've been enjoying them as they keep the warmth of the guitar that I love so much.

Current:
  • '92 Epiphone PR300
  • Vox Cambridge 30
  • Helix Convert

Previously Owned:

Last edited by Brodie; 01-10-2024 at 08:23 AM. Reason: Forgot to answer the second question....
Old 01-10-2024, 01:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Richard View Post
(Mines actually a Regal Model 1932 which looks to be pretty much a copy of the C1.)
I too have a Regal model 1932, a round hole archtop. I use a Martin set, #545, phosphor bronze, with gauges 12.5-55. This set was formally offered in 80/20 bronze(my preference), but those were discontinued.

My own Regal handles this set just fine, and work well for my playing styles( vintage jazz, Americana, flat- and fingerpicking).[/QUOTE]

Nice. Except for the jazz, that’s pretty much what I do. I prefer the 80/20s also. Good to know that tension is being handled. Do you have a modern case for that, if so, which one?
Old 01-10-2024, 02:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
It's amazing the things one forgets and then recalls when prompted... so now that you said your reservation on this case.... I remember!

I did remove the neck rest of this case and cut down the height of it to adjust for the neck angle.

I let the guitar sit in the case and measured the gap between the neck and the neck rest closest to the body of the guitar. Then cut that amount off the bottom of the forward neck rest (nearest the headstock). Then kept taking small cuts until it nestled perfectly and snuggly in there. Has worked nicely ever since.

Strings:
I have been using the Martin Retro MM12 Monel strings. So far, I've been enjoying them as they keep the warmth of the guitar that I love so much.
Excellent, great info. Thanks a bunch!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops