The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-22-2021, 09:55 AM

Default Changes...

I took a 30 year break from guitar after I got married, and now I'm back at it with vigor. I lament wasting those 30 years, but it is what it is.

I'm almost back where I was in skill level, and working at actually getting better than I was 30 years ago. But there is one big difference from my younger self: I have an interest in coming up with original songs vs. just imitating artists I admire.

I've been soaking up music theory this time and song writing is no longer a mystery to me. Over 30 years ago I remember a guy I studied from twice a week asked me if I was interested in learning how to come up with my own material, and I declined as I wasn't confident I could do it. Maybe I'm more secure in myself than I was 30 years ago?

My goal is to come up with something a recording artist can use. Just one song would do it. I have no interest in formally performing again. (Used to be a lead singer for a garage band).Unrealistic?
Old 01-22-2021, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil6243 View Post
I took a 30 year break from guitar after I got married, and now I'm back at it with vigor. I lament wasting those 30 years, but it is what it is.

I'm almost back where I was in skill level, and working at actually getting better than I was 30 years ago. But there is one big difference from my younger self: I have an interest in coming up with original songs vs. just imitating artists I admire.

I've been soaking up music theory this time and song writing is no longer a mystery to me. Over 30 years ago I remember a guy I studied from twice a week asked me if I was interested in learning how to come up with my own material, and I declined as I wasn't confident I could do it. Maybe I'm more secure in myself than I was 30 years ago?

My goal is to come up with something a recording artist can use. Just one song would do it. I have no interest in formally performing again. (Used to be a lead singer for a garage band).Unrealistic?
Writing your own songs is not unrealistic at all. Nor is being able to write a good song. All the music you've heard in those 30 years has gone into your head in some form, giving you an intuitive sense of what works - you may not know it to start with (in theory or principle), but you know it when you find it.

Getting a recording artist interested in it? I've no idea how you'd go about that. Think about all the amateurs posting songs on youtube all the time - millions of them, lots of them pretty good.
Most recording artists - if they don't already write their own songs - have plenty of songwriters on tap. I suspect you'd have to create a big stir on social media, with one of your songs going viral for some reason. Obviously that happens, but rarely through any planning from the original singer.
Old 01-22-2021, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
Writing your own songs is not unrealistic at all. Nor is being able to write a good song. All the music you've heard in those 30 years has gone into your head in some form, giving you an intuitive sense of what works - you may not know it to start with (in theory or principle), but you know it when you find it.

Getting a recording artist interested in it? I've no idea how you'd go about that. Think about all the amateurs posting songs on youtube all the time - millions of them, lots of them pretty good.
Most recording artists - if they don't already write their own songs - have plenty of songwriters on tap. I suspect you'd have to create a big stir on social media, with one of your songs going viral for some reason. Obviously that happens, but rarely through any planning from the original singer.
Well ya know it's fun to dream.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Tags
o1a