The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 12-15-2020, 11:59 AM

Default The Artist Formerly Known as "Vince"

Just joined and made my first post the General Acoustic area at the top and my story regarding not playing for many years.

I played professionally from 1981 to 1987 until I injured my left hand. I did manly solo/acoustic, some duos and also a year fronting a Rock/Blues band. After my injury, no more guitar leads, wrist wouldn't bend much and fingers wouldn't do what I told them to do. I fell back to basics. I did one more gig in '88, one duo in '93, then in 2000, a tragedy made me stop and I sold all my guitars including my beautiful Martin D28 and the matching D12-28.

So after 20 years, I bought a Taylor 150E 12 string and am trying to play again. So here's a short video with a short piece of "Norwegian Wood" from a recording I did in 1985 on an Akai 4 track and a little video of me trying to play the intro last week. I have a lot of work to do but since the video of the Taylor, I had the action lowered and it plays pretty nice now so I'll just keep plugging away.

NOTE: With regard to the title, I used to do Parody/Comedy songs for a morning radio show in Minneapolis (Home of Prince) so for the radio show, I took that name.

Last edited by Lkristians; 12-15-2020 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Embedded video for you
Old 12-15-2020, 12:34 PM
Charter Member

That was cool!

If that recording of you playing "Norwegian Wood" 35 years later is today, you sound pretty good for someone who has laid off the guitar for decades! There is great punch in your attack to the notes. Sounds great!

Thanks for jumping in here to Show & Tell.

You might check some of the other videos on Show & Tell and offer some support to others willing to stick their necks out.

You'll notice a huge disparity between how many people are viewing the main section of the forum vs how many are viewing Show & Tell. It's often 10:1 or higher.

I have a couple of recent entries in Show & Tell here and here.

Thanks!
- Glenn
Old 12-15-2020, 01:07 PM

Welcome to the AGF. Nicely done!
Old 12-15-2020, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
That was cool!

If that recording of you playing "Norwegian Wood" 35 years later is today, you sound pretty good for someone who has laid off the guitar for decades! There is great punch in your attack to the notes. Sounds great!

You might check some of the other videos on Show & Tell and offer some support to others willing to stick their necks out.

You'll notice a huge disparity between how many people are viewing the main section of the forum vs how many are viewing Show & Tell. It's often 10:1 or higher.

Thanks!
- Glenn
When I played "Live" in the '80's, The Martin 12 string with the Martin 6 crystal pickup through a stereo chorus to two channels, and a small condenser Mic was combined with an 18 inch subwoofer system that I built because you couldn't buy one back then. the Sound was incredible and allowed me to do songs nobody else would dare try. I did use a lot of dynamics in my playing. My song list was over 220 songs. When I did Norwegian Wood "Live" I would click on a Flanger pedal for the Sitar sound between verses.
Old 12-15-2020, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
That was cool!

Thanks!
- Glenn
Glen,

Very nice. I have a long way to go. Struggling with my finger picking. One thing of note from your second video. Since I was used to a killer sound in the '80's. When I bought the Taylor last month, I needed a sound to push me to work harder and to help me disappear from the year 2020 when I put the headphones on. I bought a digital reverb pedal and a multi effects pedal so the 12 strings sounds great in the headphones. I put a reverb on with a mild chorus and sometimes a bit of tremolo which is interesting on the 12 string. I'll be posting more "OLD" music soon.
Old 12-15-2020, 01:44 PM

Welcome! That 12 string sounds great and what a treat to have those two versions side by side.

bowerman custom OM 28 style
breedlove oregon OM SMYe
breedlove 000-M deluxe revival
breedlove mc revival OM/AR deluxe (2)
yamaha ls 11 spruce hog mit
yamaha fg 152 spruce hog mij
yamaha fg 110 spruce agathis (tan) mit
yamaha fg 150 spruce (red) (sold)
yamaha fg 75 spruce (red) (sold)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell