The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-04-2019, 08:55 AM

Yep - in both cases, my path was Go Broad, Go Pricey, then Go for Hidden Gem.

Electric: lived with many over the years. Invested in nice old ones, e.g., a '57 LP Special and an amazing old Black Beauty. Then I built a parts-o-Nocaster that incorporated everything I liked and learned from those pricey guitars. It's the only electric I play, and was maybe $800.

Acoustic: tried a bunch, and have a 1946 J-45 and a 1930 0-21, both stunning. By my One Acoustic is a cheap 60's Harmony Sovereign Auditorium. Great old tonewoods, hide glue, ladder bracing which suits my busy, aggressive style and my quick changes to Open G slide. Just super-versatile for what I want. And with pickup installed, about $550.

Yay.
Old 12-04-2019, 12:20 PM

The 000-18GE has always been and will forever be the one. From the moment I played one at Dusty Strings, I knew that I would have one. Two years ago, I finally was able to make the acquisition from Jon at My Favorite Guitars and it has been everything that I thought it would be and brought me so much joy. Long story short, I acquired the funds as a result of my Dad passing and he instilled my love of making music and that sentimentality definitely adds to story of this guitar in my life.

But all that said, this is the perfect guitar for me. I play americana, blues, bluegrass, etc. and usually use a thumb pick. The 000-18GE is perfect for this style. Play-ability is amazing, it is unbelievably loud, and packs a punch that brings a smile to my face. Add to that it is the most beautiful body style with an amazing sunburst, and I couldn't ask for anything more.
Kevin Enoch Tradesman Open Back Banjo
Collings MT2-O Honey Amber
Royce Burt #560 5-String Fiddle
Old 12-04-2019, 12:33 PM

I've really enjoyed the responses here! I think that something I've learned is that there is something to be enjoyed and liked about every guitar out there, and it is just a matter of finding the guitar(s) that float your boat so to speak.
Old 12-04-2019, 12:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
I have found the several.
I totally agree with Paul. From my first Taylor 315ce Jumbo, I thought that was THE ONE, only to get afflicted with a nasty case of GAS! Every purchase I have made since was a feeble attempt to get THE ONE. Right now I have 3 great guitars, all could qualify as THE ONE, if that guitar was the only one I have. I'll always have GAS, so THE ONE will always be out there somewhere. I will settle for THE CURRENT ONE!
Old 12-04-2019, 03:04 PM
Charter Member

I like the 7 number as my baseline. After buying 50 to 60 in the last 50 years.

I still look in the emporium. I still am kicking myself for the build slot I didn't solidify 3 years ago with Keystone. Sometimes the search gets in the way of gut feeling opportunities. I am very happy with my guitars and it seems most of us AGF'ers are as well!
Old 12-05-2019, 09:31 AM

I have found my "several" - my Larrivee P-03, my Alhambra classical, my Gibson C-0, and my Seagull 12-string, and my Seagull 6-string. These have my GAS in remission for several years.
Old 12-05-2019, 09:44 AM

I've got three guitars I won't sell. The first is a Steinberger GM4T, of which I'm the first owner. It's the only electric guitar I have and I keep it for sentimental reasons. The second guitar is a Taylor 914ce, one of the last built before Taylor switched to v-bracing. I got it from Taylor Guitars Europe for playing for them in 2017 and 2018. The third guitar is a Furch Little Jane, a travel guitar that goes everywhere I go.

If I had to choose one of these guitars, I would keep the Taylor 914ce. This is the best sounding Taylor I've ever heard and it plays like a dream.
Old 12-05-2019, 11:41 AM

I have found the ten, I'd like to find the four!
Old 12-05-2019, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenT View Post
I have found The Three.
Yeah, for me it's the new hartford-built jumbo Guild F50R, the Oxnard-built Guild F512, and the Corona-built JF30-12.

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 12-05-2019, 04:34 PM

I found the one when I decided not to buy a guitar by eye or prestige or recommendation but ONLY based on what it felt like in my hands and sounded in my ears.
It turned out to be a brand I didn't think of much before.
Old 12-05-2019, 05:56 PM

I used to think that I was searching for “the one”, but I like hanging out in guitar stores and looking for a guitar too much. It is the hunt, not necessarily the result. I bought a guitar in March that is about the ultimate and if there is “a one”, this should be it, but I am still looking. Good thing I have a patient wife.
Old 12-05-2019, 06:13 PM
Charter Member

When it comes to guitars I'm polyamorous, no "the one"
Old 12-05-2019, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Mc View Post
I used to think that I was searching for “the one”, but I like hanging out in guitar stores and looking for a guitar too much. It is the hunt, not necessarily the result. I bought a guitar in March that is about the ultimate and if there is “a one”, this should be it, but I am still looking. Good thing I have a patient wife.
I feel this. I like the hunt. And I hope my current main guitar "the one."

It seems ironic I know, but I always hope my guitar is good enough to let me focus on the music, and not the guitar. I think is why I like there to be a "one." I'm the guy that needs to improve, not the guitar.
Old 12-05-2019, 06:40 PM

Well I may have a found a few, but the H&D DS Crossroads and Timberline harp guitar would be the last to go. The DS Crossroads in particular is about as close to perfection in an acoustic guitar as I've ever seen.
Larrivee: CS09 Matt Thomas Limited
Taylor: 314ce, 356e, Baritone 8
Timberline: T60HGc
Old 12-05-2019, 07:10 PM

I have owned many great guitars and many of them were made by luthiers who are greatly admired for their skill. Any one of them could have been the one and I have even spoken of a few suggesting that they could be the one. However all of them ended up getting sold for various reasons either financial and budgetary or just because I wanted to buy a guitar Ithat was made by a luthier whom i had heard a lot about but never had the chance to play ne of his guitar before. Therefore I dont go looking for the one and for practical reasons I think that the two or the three are probably more realistic.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion