The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-08-2021, 09:23 AM

Default Playing with a strap

I'm a fingerstyle player. I usually practice with my right leg hiked up on a rung on my chair and the other foot on the floor. It gets the guitar in the exact right spot for me. But lately, I've been getting some pain in my hip from doing this several hours a day. My ears and hands love it, but the rest of my body is starting to tell me this is not such a great idea.

I've tried all the products that I know of, neck up, the oasis pillow thing, etc etc. They all seem really awkward to me. Which brings me to my question: How many of you guys have transitioned to playing with a strap from an unhealthy seated position? Did that solve your problems? Was it difficult to adjust to?

It feels a little awkward, despite having played electric with a strap for many years. Plus I dread drilling holes in my nice guitars. Any words of wisdom from the collective?
Old 12-08-2021, 09:46 AM
Charter Member

I moved to using a strap because I don't care to be trapped between a chair and mics when performing. So I stand. I am used to it now but I worked at it a bit. I put the strap on and kept it on. I set the strap to where the guitar sets when I am setting. In some ways it sets the guitar to an angle that is almost a classical guitar angle. That's not a bad thing. There is a difference though between where a persons head, ears and body sets when leaning over a guitar and when standing.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 12-08-2021, 09:48 AM

Hi Jklots,

I can see why playing with your leg up for hours can be uncomfortable. I hope you are taking breaks, and not staying in that position for the entire time. I'm surprised that the neck-up didn't work for you - although I haven't tried one they seem to be well regarded.

Have you tried the Guitar-Lift? I have something like this, but it's flat on the bottom so I can move it around very easily (play in various positions without reinstalling it). Anyway, it's very versatile. You might consider one if you haven't already. I think you can get the guitar in the position you want with both feet on the floor.

https://www.stringsbymail.com/guitar...ent-21823.html
Rogue Resonator (kindling)
Old 12-08-2021, 09:51 AM
Charter Member

I had a back injury over a year ago and as a result I still get nerve pain whenever I sit for any period of time.

I had already been playing with a strap while seated (I used a classical position) I had to transition to playing with a strap standing nearly all the time.

It took a while but I do find it worked for me and is more comfortable than playing seated.
Old 12-08-2021, 09:53 AM
Charter Member

Smile Dream Guitars video

Paul at Dream has an excellent video about this.

I like to be able to get up and move about at gigs, especially for the frisky songs.

Basically set your strap where your leg up tends to position it.

Strap reinforcement is good at the pins! Don’t loose the axe!!!

Give it a whirl, and see. Bet you like it pretty quick

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 12-08-2021, 09:59 AM

Yes, the strap immediately solved the body pain and disfunction caused when I used a footstool or similar. And the strap makes it simple to get 100% perfect position of the guitar every time. The Neck-Up could get close to perfect but took a lot of fiddling and still required me to hold my leg in one specific spot.

Within reason, I can sit in almost any position and still have the guitar held where it needs to be by the strap.

Just do it. You will wonder why you didnt sooner!
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 12-08-2021, 10:11 AM

I always play with a strap (Peri baseball leather FTW!). In fact I don't ever bother to remove my straps from my guitars, even when I put them in their cases or in a gig bad. They all have those black beer bottle gasket thingies to keep the strap from slipping off the strap button.

Right now my Guild D-25 and my Eastman AC422CE are both on stands in my office with their straps attached, and my Mini is in its gig bag with the strap on it.

Here's what I do to work out my playing posture:

Sit upright on a comfortable chair. Scoot your butt all the way forward to the edge of the seat and keep both feet flat on the floor.

While sitting upright hand your arms loosely at your side. Make sure your shoulders & arms are completely relaxed.

Keeping your arms relaxed, turn your left palm so it's facing out and your right palm so it's facing to the left.

Flexing only your right bicep, raise your right hand to that your forearm is parallel to the floor. Now bring your right hand to your tummy.

Flexing only your left bicep, bend your left arm completely.

Where your right hand is is where your guitar's sound hole should be. Where your left hand is is where your neck should be.

Do this a couple of times just sitting, then do it again while you're wearing your guitar from its strap.

Adjust the guitar and the strap as necessary until the guitar hangs with your hands over the sound hole & on the neck while you are sitting upright, feet flat on the floor, and your shoulders & arms completely relaxed.

You should be able to take both hands off the guitar and it should hang in that position. If you stand up your guitar & arms should be able to naturally return to that position.
Eastman MD-514 Mandolin - spruce & maple
Kentucky KM-250 Mandolin - spruce & maple
Old 12-08-2021, 10:17 AM

"I dread drilling holes in my nice guitars."

I also dreaded taking a drill to my brand new Eastman AC422CE, but Eastman doesn't ship guitars with a strap button in the heel.

" I set the strap to where the guitar sets when I am setting. In some ways it sets the guitar to an angle that is almost a classical guitar angle. That's not a bad thing."

Yes, I find that my guitar hands in a somewhat classical position. But by using a strap I don't need to use a footstool for my left foot.
Old 12-08-2021, 10:21 AM
Musical minimalist

I went the other direction - after MANY years of standing and performing, I have found I'm much more comfortable and can play much more accurately in a "mostly" classical position - left foot up/neck up. Been doing this for about 15 years now

Old 12-08-2021, 10:24 AM
Charter Member

Yes, I use a strap while seated. If for nothing else, it frees up my hands so that I can drink my rum and Coke and swipe through my music on the tablet. But I also feel like it holds the guitar in place while I'm playing it.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 12-08-2021, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
I went the other direction - after MANY years of standing and performing, I have found I'm much more comfortable and can play much more accurately in a "mostly" classical position - left foot up/neck up. Been doing this for about 15 years now

I do the same thing, and recently added the strap for even better control.
I cannot play standing because of back issues.
Old 12-08-2021, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rllink View Post
Yes, I use a strap while seated. If for nothing else, it frees up my hands so that I can drink my rum and Coke and swipe through my music on the tablet. But I also feel like it holds the guitar in place while I'm playing it.
Never underestimate the ability to eat and drink while playing the guitar
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 12-08-2021, 10:39 AM

At I play seated and I don't use a strap. But whenever I am out I always use a strap. Seated or standing.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 12-08-2021, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hutto View Post
Never underestimate the ability to eat and drink while playing the guitar
After a generous belt of Scotch I find I sound a lot better.

To me anyway.
Old 12-08-2021, 10:43 AM

What phydaux said ^^
I have straps on most of mine. Started out with leather strap adapters at the nut on models that didn't have a strap button at the neck.
I have gradually shifted to installing buttons on the heel of most of mine.
It helps me keep the guitar in a good position whether sitting or standing. Of course I only gig at home in the living room and most of time the dog leaves me anyway.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion