The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 12-03-2021, 05:44 AM
Charter Member

Default How rare is great Englemann?

A builder I am working with went wood shopping recently and posted about going through 100 sets of Englemann to come up with just two great ones. Is this a thing with Engleman, or is there that much weeding required generally.
Old 12-03-2021, 05:51 AM
AGF Sponsor

That's fairly common with all tone woods. I buy my the majority of my tops in bulk from mills or sawyers, cherry pick the ones that meets my criteria and return the rest on my nickle. Sometimes I am fortunate enough to visit a wood vendor at a show or their store front.
Old 12-03-2021, 09:42 AM
Charter Member

Tim, do you mean sound plus cosmetic consideration? I wonder how many excellent tops have to be rejected because of quirky looks clients and the market generally will not accept.
Old 12-03-2021, 09:53 AM

i would be interested in that ^^ about whether grading wood is about sound or aesthetic or both

Last edited by SingingSparrow; 12-03-2021 at 08:09 PM.
Old 12-03-2021, 10:07 AM
Charter Member

Smile Sound, looks, and price

Dana Bourgeois has said something like you can have great sound, looks, and (low) price. Pick any two you want….

Seems about right. He also said for his personal guitars, he goes with SOUND.

cheers

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 12-03-2021, 05:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fregly View Post
A builder I am working with went wood shopping recently and posted about going through 100 sets of Englemann to come up with just two great ones. Is this a thing with Engleman, or is there that much weeding required generally.
Not necessarily, but if you're looking for specific qualities not commonly found in that tonewood, then yes!
Old 12-03-2021, 07:46 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fregly View Post
Tim, do you mean sound plus cosmetic consideration? I wonder how many excellent tops have to be rejected because of quirky looks clients and the market generally will not accept.
Sound is my #1 grading criteria closely followed by stiffness to weight ratio, grain count, consistency in spacing, color and lack of runout. When sifting through a stack of tops, I quickly sort them first by stiffness to weight by fanning then. Then that stack is graded visually for color and grain count, then runout and lastly for tap tone. If it doesn’t pass all the metrics then it’s rejected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingingSparrow View Post
i would be interested in that ^^ about whether grading wood is about sound or aesthetic or both
When one purchases any top from an online wood vendor they are buying a top based on 100% cosmetic grading which has zero to do with its tonal characteristics or potential. That is why I don’t buy wood that I can’t see, feel, flex or hear, in person.

Last edited by Tim McKnight; 12-03-2021 at 07:51 PM.
Old 12-04-2021, 01:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McKnight View Post
Sound is my #1 grading criteria closely followed by stiffness to weight ratio, grain count, consistency in spacing, color and lack of runout. When sifting through a stack of tops, I quickly sort them first by stiffness to weight by fanning then. Then that stack is graded visually for color and grain count, then runout and lastly for tap tone. If it doesn’t pass all the metrics then it’s rejected.

When one purchases any top from an online wood vendor they are buying a top based on 100% cosmetic grading which has zero to do with its tonal characteristics or potential. That is why I don’t buy wood that I can’t see, feel, flex or hear, in person.
Fantastic Answers Tim!
Old 12-04-2021, 12:19 PM
AGF Sponsor

The hardest thing about finding good Engelmann for me is avoiding runout. Out of a stack of 50 AAA Engelmann tops, I might find one or two that don't have noticeable runout.
Old 12-04-2021, 01:38 PM

Richard Hoover tells a great story of shopping for European Spruce. Evidently the seller figured the American shopper didn't know what he was doing. He mixed his best wood with all the rest, figuring it wouldn't sell.
By the end of the afternoon, Richard had chosen only the very best, shocking the seller completely.
Old 12-04-2021, 02:03 PM
Charter Member

…that may be the main reason it isn’t more popular….I’ve had 4 guitars with Englemann tops….2 Taylor’s…an early 510 and a GS mini HV….a Huss&Dalton CM and a Kopp RJ prototype that I currently own and is my favorite guitar of all time….all were great sounding guitars…the Kopp is sensational for my tastes….none of the tops were particularly special cosmetically….I heard somewhere that Richard Hoover avoids it….I’ve only seen a couple of Cruzes with Englemann tops…
Old 12-04-2021, 02:24 PM
AGF Sponsor

I recently discovered Kootenay spruce peddlers. They specialize in Engelmann spruce. It's all they sell. I bought a batch of master grade tops at a reasonable price. They are some of the best tops I've found both acoustically and aesthetically. No run out. Just great. I'd put the up against " moos spruce" any day and bet on their superiority

Last edited by j. Kinnaird; 12-06-2021 at 10:24 PM.
Old 12-06-2021, 07:15 PM

In my humble opinion Engelmann spruce gets a bad rap. I have several guitars made with Engelmann and they are all amazing instruments. I think good Engelmann is just about as close to the "mystical" qualities of good German spruce as any American tonewood. It seems to produce a crisp, resonant, and for lack of a better term "complex" response. Somehow Engelmann seems to have gotten associated more with classical guitars than with steel string guitars, but, just from my experience, this is not warranted at all.
Old 12-06-2021, 08:09 PM
Charter Member

I have a custom built 12 fret slope shoulder dread - Engelmann w/Adi braces /Black Walnut b&s that sounds amazing - fingah (errr.. ) fingerstyle clarity, balance & projection - and a big bluegrass voice - volume goes to eleven.

Holds its' own no problem with my Sitka and Adi tops.
Old 12-06-2021, 08:23 PM
AGF Sponsor

The problem with Engelmann, if it is a problem as it could be an asset, it that in my experience it is more highly variable than any other spruce. Some material I've had is quite soft, almost punky, while other examples are nearly as hard and stiff as any other high quality spruce. The best of it is more like EuroSpruce than Sitka or American Red (adi). The softer material can sound very pleasant, but tends to lack sparkle. It can make an excellent fiddle, for those who like a darker sound. I also like it for arch top guitars.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop