The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 12-03-2021, 04:09 PM
AGF Sponsor

Hi Y'all. I'm trying to help the boss today. I'm learning something new as I share pictures.

Clamping on the peg head

Adding a little this and that to the gears.

AGF MCKNIGHT GUITAR SNIPPETS https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=663228

I'll continue "Doin' Life ... As a Luthier's Wife"
McJam = Guitar private event June 21-22, 2024
[email protected]
Pre-sign is required and begins now.
Old 12-04-2021, 07:22 AM

Default Work in progress

Thanks to Tim and Mary’s sharp eye for detail, we are extending the red line up the fingerboard to frame the gears! Love it.
Old 12-06-2021, 08:50 AM
AGF Sponsor

What a great operation for a husband and wife to do together at a time when time is what we have. I kind of like growing old with this guy. Glad to share our adventures with all those interested parties of McKnight Guitars. More later!

AGF MCKNIGHT GUITAR SNIPPETS https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=663228

[email protected]
Old 12-06-2021, 12:03 PM
Music soothes the soul!

An amazing amount of work! Tim and Mary ... you are super heroes. I am convinced, if it can be done on a guitar, you all can make it happen. Awesome.
Old 12-08-2021, 10:44 AM
AGF Sponsor

[email protected]
Old 12-08-2021, 10:49 AM
AGF Sponsor

[email protected]
Old 12-09-2021, 03:33 PM
AGF Sponsor

The neck pore filler is now going in place

Side dot prep Glow in the dark because it will add to teh character of the Gear Gone Wild Guitar.

Remove the protective area "around" the bridge, but leaving the protected area underneath.

Taping the nut area and the entire fretboard

Bring out the figure in the grain of the back and side woods.

[email protected]
Old 12-09-2021, 04:52 PM
Charter Member

Wow--look at that figure pop! Amazing!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 12-09-2021, 06:38 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
Wow--look at that figure pop! Amazing!
Well thanks Nemoman but I need to give credit where credit is due … so a hearty thank you to Bruce Sexauer. He shared his process with me and I am very happy with the results. I like that the Pernambuco wash coat penetrates deep into the curly figure. After the wash coat is dry, the water and ammonia based solution has raised the wood’s grain so it requires sanding the surface which removes any surface color and leaves the Pernambuco deep in the curly figured grain. I think we are in for a very pleasant surprise after the finish goes on. Stay tuned …
Old 12-09-2021, 09:04 PM
AGF Sponsor

It raised the grain less on subsequent treatments, and deepens the color. Oddly, when I first apply the P/Ammonia, it is a deep burgundy red, though not at all once dry.
Old 12-09-2021, 09:20 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
It raised the grain less on subsequent treatments, and deepens the color. Oddly, when I first apply the P/Ammonia, it is a deep burgundy red, though not at all once dry.
Yes, I kind of freaked out when I put the burgundy wash on some scraps Bruce but as it dries the color vanishes and adds amazing depth to the curl, with zero hint of red. I’ve applied two washes and before the second sanding there was hardly any fuzz to knock down and the dried surface leaves no hint of burgundy. Thanks again for the tips Bruce.
Old 12-10-2021, 07:24 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Looks phenomenal! Eye popping!
Old 12-10-2021, 07:54 AM

Default The journey

This is Caitlin (Doc’s wife) and I just wanted to say what a wonderful journey this has been…from The McKnights inviting us into their home and spending an entire day with us, Tim pinging woods until we found the sound we loved, walking us through the process from start to finish, to Mary helping me pick out all the different woods for the gears and the purfling (yes, I got to do the atheistic of the guitar!).
I have to admit I wasn’t excited about going and expected to be bored through the whole thing but it was amazing! Even more amazing is seeing all this art work come together to create a musical masterpiece. Thank you Tim and Mary, you make the perfect combination of beauty and sound. It has truly been a magical journey!
Old 12-10-2021, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drscott View Post
This is Caitlin (Doc’s wife) and I just wanted to say what a wonderful journey this has been…from The McKnights inviting us into their home and spending an entire day with us, Tim pinging woods until we found the sound we loved, walking us through the process from start to finish, to Mary helping me pick out all the different woods for the gears and the purfling (yes, I got to do the atheistic of the guitar!).
I have to admit I wasn’t excited about going and expected to be bored through the whole thing but it was amazing! Even more amazing is seeing all this art work come together to create a musical masterpiece. Thank you Tim and Mary, you make the perfect combination of beauty and sound. It has truly been a magical journey!
That's wonderful to hear! Could you talk to some of our wives, please?
Old 12-11-2021, 04:54 PM
AGF Sponsor

Thank you. That's so sweet!

Caitlyn, this has been fun to "play" with. Granted it is more work on Tim, but I like my job since all I do is get in his way to play the photoJournalist.

Usually when a build process begins I am in the wood shop with a group of guys. Very few females are interested in tone tapping wood to see if wood speaks to them for a build. I enjoyed having you with me.

A local gal, who went to elementary school with me, came by a few weeks after you were here to hand pick woods for her own McKnight Guitar. She saw your woods and the extreme graphic design of the Gears Gone Wild. I wa excited to show what you had picked. YOU should have seen her eyes pop. Like you and me, she doesn't play guitar, but she is looking forward to the fun of the build process before she retires. Let's just say she doesn't play ...yet ... but in short time she will be a master at playing her instrument. She plays Piano and Cello. She owns a custom Hawaiian Ukulele. I'm pleased she wants a McKnight Guitar to learn her own art of the sounds. Maybe she will come to a McJam to meet y'all. She is a very impressive lady!

Guys, I'm going to fess up. Caitlyn and I kind might have had to much fun the day they were here. As soon as the husbands left the wood room I turned around and showed her smaller pieces of pine I had been saving for a special reason yet I had no plans in mind. Her McKnight Gear Gone Wild must have been the reason. I whispered, "I have something with a little red that is almost tie dyed looking. This is just the kick it needs." I showed the pieces to Caitlyn and she smiled with me. I felt in my gut she might agree. We probably looked like little girlies in school stealing the answer sheet for the final test. For the brief moment the men left us alone in the room we made that simple final decision to add one more bit of "crazy" for her Gear Gone Wild guitar. When Tim and Doc walked back in they looked at us like they knew we were up to something squirrely. I grinned and showed him what more I wanted to add. Tim looked at me, breathed in and slowly tipped his head forward and gently shook his head. I saw him smile. I smirked and said, "This guitar must be why I was saving these pieces. They will make some wild looking gears. I should have used it for my own, but I didn't so she should have them for her build."

Suddenly Caitlyn and I acted like we were two old ladies in the local hall yelling, "B I N G O!" We giggled. Maybe you had to be there.

So, Neil, if you can get your wife in the wood room do yourself and favor and don't step out while the girls take charge of the final process. We just might turn your guitar design upside down and you won't know what you are getting.

Caitlyn, when this guitar build is all said and done I hope to get a picture of the two if us on the Lone Cone (shed) porch with our Gear guitar in our non-playing hands while we are wearing our McKnight Guitar t-shirts. Your McKnight guitar will forever be a special memory for the 4 of us. I often thought nobody in the world would want such an off the wall quirky gear guitar like mine, but yours is a step up and will win the quirkiness race.

For the record, we are proof that folks don't have to be players to appreciate the fun adventures of designing playable works of art.

You men folk can build them and/or play them with our blessings. We just appreciate you letting us be a small part of the activity. It's been great.

[email protected]

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop