The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 01-03-2021, 01:36 AM
Charter Member

Happy holidays, Glenn! Classic song, and your voice and that Eastman archtop are a great combination.

Can we talk about your video production? I'm not sure if anyone has asked, but it's filmed, recorded, and edited so well. You've got multiple cameras going, and they're moving and panning. I'd be curious to understand your setup better. Thx!
Old 01-03-2021, 11:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
Happy holidays, Glenn! Classic song, and your voice and that Eastman archtop are a great combination.

Can we talk about your video production? I'm not sure if anyone has asked, but it's filmed, recorded, and edited so well. You've got multiple cameras going, and they're moving and panning. I'd be curious to understand your setup better. Thx!
Hi Pura Vida!

Thanks so much for your kind and encouraging words! I'm so glad you like this cover. And Happy Holidays and Happy New Year to you and your family, as well! I hope 2021 is a good year for you all.

Regarding my recording and video setup, I use 3 video cameras, two guitar microphones, and one vocal microphone. I record the performance on all 3 cameras as well as on my computer using Cubase. I use a hand clap at the start to allow me to synchronize all three cameras to the audio recording. I do the synchronization in a video editing program, Adobe Premier Elements. The cameras are static during the performance -- I am doing all the recording myself -- so effect some sense of movement by building in slow pans or zooms in Premier Elements.

I have upgraded my microphones and mic preamps in recent years from when I started making these videos in 2016, but the technique for audio and video recording is the same. I made a video some time back about how I do all this, which I have embedded below to help you understand the technique a little better. I hope all this is helpful.

I use a green screen behind me today, something I did not cover in my video above. The benefit of that green screen is that I can impose photos or video onto the green screen to provide a background different from just my room.

- Glenn
Old 01-03-2021, 09:29 PM
Charter Member

Outstanding info, thanks Glenn! I'm a Mac guy, so I'm sure that I can find and use the equivalent software. But I was really interested in the camera work, which is super helpful to gain your insight. I haven't done any recording (and would start at home to improve my personal performance first), but I've wanted to try when work and home parts of life afford me the time.

Cheers!

PS - Today is Stephen Stills' 75th birthday. I know that you're a big fan of his.
Old 01-04-2021, 12:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
Outstanding info, thanks Glenn! I'm a Mac guy, so I'm sure that I can find and use the equivalent software. But I was really interested in the camera work, which is super helpful to gain your insight. I haven't done any recording (and would start at home to improve my personal performance first), but I've wanted to try when work and home parts of life afford me the time.

Cheers!

PS - Today is Stephen Stills' 75th birthday. I know that you're a big fan of his.
Thanks PV!

I'm glad this stuff was helpful! There is a lot to learn. I found that a person just has to dive in and figure it out as he/she goes once you have kind of a roadmap. I hope I have provided at least that!

I did not know Stephen Stills turned 75 today! I thought he was a lot older than I am. (I turn 73 in a couple of months.) I am a fan of his early work with Crosby, Stills and Nash and Buffalo Springfield. He sure did a lot to make the acoustic guitar important in popular music.

Thanks very much for your feedback!
- Glenn
Old 01-04-2021, 01:02 AM
Charter Member

Sounds great as usual!

Loving that Eastman!
Old 01-04-2021, 09:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Davis View Post
Sounds great as usual!

Loving that Eastman!
Thanks Bear!

How nice of you to take time to offer encouragement!

Have a great 2021! I hope all is well for you!

- Glenn
Old 12-06-2021, 07:28 PM
Charter Member

I am bumping this thread from 2020 to help celebrate the Yuletide season in 2021. I hope this song helps a little...

- Glenn
Old 12-07-2021, 06:31 PM
Charter Member

That was great to set the mood for this season. Thanks much!

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 12-07-2021, 07:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
That was great to set the mood for this season. Thanks much!
Thank you Chuck!

I appreciate your taking time to comment! I hope all is well for you!

- Glenn
Old 12-08-2021, 09:55 AM

Love it! And thanks for the chords!
2009 Hoffman SJ
2011 Hoffman SJ 12

https://paulashley.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/PaulAshley
https://www.reverbnation.com/paulashley
Old 12-08-2021, 10:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpa53 View Post
Love it! And thanks for the chords!
Hi Paul!

Thanks for watching; your comments are much appreciated!

I did make a tutorial from this video with more information, including chord diagrams. You might find it helpful. I put a link below:

Enjoy the season!

- Glenn
Old 12-08-2021, 12:47 PM

Glenn, thanks for bringing this one back. The Eastman sounds great! Who knew that these Christmas songs had soooo many chords! Classic I really like the bass notes you use in the turnaround ... the first being at :03s Nice rich sound.

Back earlier in this thread you posted another version taught by Frank Vignola. Without taking away from your beautiful version, here is yet another taught by Sandra Sherman, in case anyone wants to learn yet more chords This one is in Eb ... not for the faint of heart lol

Here's the link.

Best wishes,

John

My Music On Bandcamp
Acoustic Guitar Forum CD - Vol. 1

For Sale: Saville Baritone
Old 12-08-2021, 03:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopman View Post
Glenn, thanks for bringing this one back. The Eastman sounds great! Who knew that these Christmas songs had soooo many chords! Classic I really like the bass notes you use in the turnaround ... the first being at :03s Nice rich sound.

Back earlier in this thread you posted another version taught by Frank Vignola. Without taking away from your beautiful version, here is yet another taught by Sandra Sherman, in case anyone wants to learn yet more chords This one is in Eb ... not for the faint of heart lol

Here's the link.

Best wishes,

John
Thanks for your thoughts and comments, John.

I'm glad to see you back on the AGF! I hope you and your family have a great Christmas!

Be well!

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell