The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-02-2021, 12:21 PM
Charter Member

Default Emerald X7 Truss Rod Adjustment

After having had a slight low E buzz since day one on my new X7, I finally got a friend to help me out. Without going into a lot of detail I will just highlight the facts.

The supplied truss rod tool would not fit in the hex head on the rod. It looked as if there was epoxy or carbon blocking the hex head. The tool would just spin without engaging. We unsuccessfully fumbled with it for quite some time.

Me, being the anal, OCD fool I am, this festered in my head all night until I thought about measuring the tool. Using a dial caliper it measured .153" which is 3.8862mm. I then got out my 4mm Craftsman T handle hex wrench and it measured .157" which is 3.9878mm. The supplied tool is (poor quality) too small with rounded corners allowing it to spin in the hex head without engaging.

I tried the Craftsman and it worked perfect!
Who would think something as trivial as .004" could make that much a difference.

Moral of the story, well there is none. I just thought I would share my findings.

BTW...I love this guitar!
Old 12-02-2021, 03:27 PM
Charter Member

Well that's good to know. Strange they didn't send along a better wrench. But some guitars - like my Collings didn't even come with one.
Old 12-02-2021, 03:40 PM
Charter Member

I think I may have a truss rod tool that came with my X7 when I bought it all those years ago. The action on mine was higher than I prefer, but lowering the saddle took care of that. I don't recall if I needed to tweak the truss rod, but it sure hasn't moved since then. I sure do like my carbon fiber guitars.

Glad your situation was an easy fix.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber