The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-08-2021, 10:40 AM

Default Anyone else pining for DR Zebra strings?

I don't know if it's the pandemic or what, but these strings seem to be sold out everywhere and have been for over a year.

For anyone who doesn't know, these strings are unique in being wound in alternating wires of phosphor bronze and nickel, which means that with hybrid guitars such as the T5, the Fender Acoustasonics, and the Godin Multiac Spectrum, you can get a good response from either an acoustic or an electric amplifier, depending on which pickup you select.

I own a Multiac Spectrum and have an Acoustasonic Jazzmaster on the way. I'll be very glad when/if these strings become available again.
Old 12-08-2021, 02:01 PM

How do they sound acoustically? I’ve never heard of them.
Old 12-08-2021, 02:07 PM

Quite honestly, I'm not really sure how they sound on a flat-top acoustic. I've only ever used them on my Godin Multiac, and the acoustic sound on these, whatever strings are used, is not representative of how they might sound on a flat-top. My use for them has been using a piezo through a Fishman amp.
Old 12-08-2021, 02:59 PM

They sound intriguing. Are they round core?
Old 12-08-2021, 05:57 PM

I presume so. I have my last set in front of me here, 12-54s, which are heavier than I'd like. The 11-50s are the ones I'm after. A few months ago, I bought a Godin 5th Avenue P90 from GC Used Online, and I'd really like to try the Zebras out on that, too.

Maybe they didn't sell. I hope that's not the case and that it's just an issue with the supply chain. I might give 'em a buzz at Strings and Beyond to find out what's going on.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion