The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 05-22-2022, 09:42 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
What is Star Trek Strange New Worlds? Is it all new characters? What's the timeline compared to the original / TNG?

Sounds like something I'd be interested in.
Spock is there, well played too.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 05-22-2022, 07:44 PM

What I like is that Paramount puts the first episode out for free on YouTube to try and draw you in to that subscription. I did enjoy it, but so far I can't commit to another subscription service unless I drop another one. Netflix, I'm looking at you!

In the meantime, I'm re-exploring DS9 because it's been awhile.
Old 05-24-2022, 04:34 PM
Charter Member

I'll check out Strange New Worlds. Haven't gotten to it yet.

As a long time Star Trek Fan. I'll comment some below.

Discovery 2nd and 3rd season were good but the 1st was tough to watch (the reinvention of the Klingon species kind of irked me in season 1) and the latest 4th season seems a bit boring so far about 4 episodes in. Some fairly weak characters in season 4.

I agree with what others said about Picard. I want to like it but I don't like how the story line of 7 of 9 changed from marrying Chicotay and how they don't fill in any holes with her character. Also the things with Picards mom felt odd that a man at his age would all of a sudden be so mentally out of balance in dealing with childhood issues. The characters felt a bit fake. Raphi is a super annoying character too!!

High End Guitar Review Videos.
www.youtube.com/user/rockinb23
Old 05-25-2022, 08:16 AM

TBH I've never been a fan of Alan Kurtzman's work, but I do see that Eugene Roddenberry is involved so maybe he's advocating more for his father's vision?

FWIW I think that employing a character's awareness of foreshadowing of his own destiny as a literary device to motivate him to want to make a lasting impression is a pretty interesting take on things.

PS: this is a prequel series so can I really say "no spoilers?" Besides, I currently don't have a subscription to Paramount Plus. I just know from watching "The Menagerie" from the original series, Season 2 of Discovery, and the free first episode on YouTube.
Old 05-25-2022, 08:26 AM

I enjoy watching most anything Star Trek. I am surprised no one has mentioned that in Discovery and now Strange New Worlds, which were both prequels to the original Star Trek, the technology of the ships is so far beyond what poor James T Kirk had to work with. I let it go, because obviously they modernized it, but robots drones that repair the ship, transportation from anywhere on the ship, not just the transporter room, the sporedrive? All Kirk had was warp drive and a bunch of flashing lights on boxes on the bridge lol!

And, the ship, Kirk was flying around in a Yugo compared to the ship in Discovery or SNW haha! The Federation of Planets must have had a major budget cut!

Last edited by TomB'sox; 05-28-2022 at 01:50 PM.
Old 05-25-2022, 09:06 AM

I've seen the first two episodes of the new series and like it. I especially enjoy how they have little throw away lines fortelling future things, "They want to call it the Prime Directive? That'll never fly."

As an aside, I found it really interesting how the 'Star Trek Piccard' series turned away from the somewhat sterile "everything is now hunky-dory" version of the future of previous Star Trek shows, and had a more gritty and somewhat dirty future. The difference was striking in that they showed what could be a more "realistic" future where not everything is really clean, organized, and almost sterile.

Anyway, I enjoy the new series and hope it stays on the air for a long time.

Best,
PJ
Old 05-25-2022, 01:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
The timeline of Voyager is after TNG. Voyager started 2371 while the original series started 2266.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_Star_Trek

Yes. Star Trek: Enterprise and Discovery are prequels to TOS. Voyager is the Furthest out, IIRC.
Old 05-25-2022, 02:02 PM

Quote:
The timeline of Voyager is after TNG. Voyager started 2371 while the original series started 2266.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_Star_Trek
Quote:
Originally Posted by M19 View Post
Yes. Star Trek: Enterprise and Discovery are prequels to TOS. Voyager is the Furthest out, IIRC.
I guess I am stupid then. Captain Pike was in an original episode with Kirk where he was in his iron lung thingy after being burned. Now he was is Discovery put in to captain the ship before that happened, so how could that be after the original? Maybe I am not as big of Trekkie as I thought. I misspoke in my first post with Voyager, I meant the two new CBS series, Discovery and SNW. So what I am saying is the tech and ships are so far beyond the original ship in with Captain Kirk.
Old 05-25-2022, 03:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
So what I am saying is the tech and ships are so far beyond the original ship in with Captain Kirk.
Well, that's true. There's no way they could have rolled out shows 40-50 yrs later that had older looking effects and tech.
Old 05-25-2022, 03:27 PM

The casting has been very good and the new takes on the legacy characters are most refreshing.

I will say though that I'm still on the fence about Sam Kirk. Maybe Dan Jeannotte is trying to channel some qualities of William Shatner.

EDIT:
I'd like to add though that my award for "Best Resurrection of a Trek Character" still goes to Karl Urban for Dr. Leonard McCoy in the JJ Abrams movies:

Last edited by CoastStrings; 05-25-2022 at 03:37 PM.
Old 05-25-2022, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastStrings View Post
The casting has been very good and the new takes on the legacy characters are most refreshing.

I will say though that I'm still on the fence about Sam Kirk. Maybe Dan Jeannotte is trying to channel some qualities of William Shatner.

EDIT:
I'd like to add though that my award for "Best Resurrection of a Trek Character" still goes to Karl Urban for Dr. Leonard McCoy in the JJ Abrams movies:
Big giant “Yes” on that—a stunningly good Dr. McCoy!

Old 05-25-2022, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimelie View Post
Big giant “Yes” on that—a stunningly good Dr. McCoy!

I miss DeForest Kelley and regret not having had an opportunity to see him at convention when he was still alive.

Old 05-25-2022, 05:39 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
I guess I am stupid then. Captain Pike was in an original episode with Kirk where he was in his iron lung thingy after being burned. Now he was is Discovery put in to captain the ship before that happened, so how could that be after the original? Maybe I am not as big of Trekkie as I thought. I misspoke in my first post with Voyager, I meant the two new CBS series, Discovery and SNW. So what I am saying is the tech and ships are so far beyond the original ship in with Captain Kirk.
Yes, Discovery and SNW are before the original series. Makes no sense to me either how/why they upgraded all of the tech. The tech should have been better than Star Trek:Enterprise, but less than the TOS. They could have done a great job with "vintage" tech, I'm sure.

Voyager is the only one after all the others.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 05-25-2022, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Yes, Discovery and SNW are before the original series. Makes no sense to me either how/why they upgraded all of the tech. The tech should have been better than Star Trek:Enterprise, but less than the TOS. They could have done a great job with "vintage" tech, I'm sure.

Voyager is the only one after all the others.
Yes, this is all I was trying to say, but I confused it with saying Voyager. It is hard for me to get my mind around all the fancy ships and tech and the spore
drive when in my mind, I know it is before the original Enterprise. Doesn't mean I don't like them, but still....like I said, the Federation must have had a major budget cut when Spock got his second assignment with James T.
Old 05-26-2022, 07:47 AM

I just saw a quick blurb on FB that Lucy Ball was the one who fought for the original Star Trek pilot to be made, funded it and championed the cause. I did not know that.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic