The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-24-2022, 07:41 AM

Default 2019 vs 2022 x7?

Hi friends, I'm looking at two different x7s, and curious about any differences that have evolved in the model over these years?

My 2019 X7 doesn't look any different from the 2022 that a friend just got, but I was curious to see if there are any under the hood changes?
Old 04-24-2022, 08:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BongoSTL View Post
Hi friends, I'm looking at two different x7s, and curious about any differences that have evolved in the model over these years?

My 2019 X7 doesn't look any different from the 2022 that a friend just got, but I was curious to see if there are any under the hood changes?
I don't think there are any differences other than the shape of the bridge and the fact that the bridge is pinless. I had a later 2018 and now have a 2022 and aside from those two changes around the bridge, I think they're basically identical. I also briefly owned a 2017 and that's a totally different guitar, but the differences since they changed the basic model in 2018 are minimal and basically cosmetic...

-Ray
Old 04-24-2022, 04:35 PM

Are the plek'd now? That's maybe a change to consider.
Old 04-24-2022, 04:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackDaniel View Post
Are the plek'd now? That's maybe a change to consider.
I think Emerald is doing that on all guitars now (based on what I recall from an Emerald video).
Old 04-25-2022, 01:23 AM

I have the 2011 center-hole X7...I am so curious as to the SOUND/PLAYABILITY difference with my Gen1 and the current Gen3 X7.

The PRICE difference is huge of course. Not sure the upgrade and update is worth the extra cost though. Sure wish I could try one of the current models before I commit to buy.
Old 04-25-2022, 04:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by warndt View Post
I have the 2011 center-hole X7...I am so curious as to the SOUND/PLAYABILITY difference with my Gen1 and the current Gen3 X7.

The PRICE difference is huge of course. Not sure the upgrade and update is worth the extra cost though. Sure wish I could try one of the current models before I commit to buy.
Having owned both, there’s a pretty significant difference between the previous generation (before mid-2018) X7 and the current one. The current one is bigger in some key dimensions but still a very small guitar and sounds much louder and fuller at the player’s ear (because of the offset soundhole). The previous version had the soundhole on the upper front edge of the top also, but it’s only facing out, where the new one projects both out and up, which makes a huge difference. I’ve never played one of the center hole versions, but I’d guess it’s a lot closer to the previous version than the current version. Where are you located? It shouldn’t be too hard to find someone nearby who has one they may let you try…

-Ray
Old 04-25-2022, 06:07 AM
Charter Member

Although I never got to play them side-by-side, I insist that my current "revised" X20 has a much improved warm, resonant tone over my previous (pre-revised) X20 which had a rather dull and uninspired tone. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it...
Martin 000-15sm
Old 04-26-2022, 02:56 AM

Would love to hear the input of someone listening to someone else play both the gen 2 and gen 3 x7. I can understand the difference to the player but any difference to the listener?
Old 04-26-2022, 04:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackDaniel View Post
Would love to hear the input of someone listening to someone else play both the gen 2 and gen 3 x7. I can understand the difference to the player but any difference to the listener?
Not much difference out front. The newer X7 sounds slightly fuller, maybe a little warmer, but the volume is pretty much the same. It’s kind of mind boggling because they sound so amazingly different to the player. But I recorded both, played both with a db meter a few feet in front of me, and played both for my wife. Subtle differences in tone, but the volume is almost identical. As it is with the X20, at least the previous version of the X20 - I’ve never played the newer one with the bigger cutout.

Since I’m a home player anymore and I’m generally my own audience, how it sounds to the player is a big deal. But if you’re playing plugged in or playing for other people a lot, rest assured that the previous version of the X7 (before mid 2018) will get the job done.

-Ray
Old 04-26-2022, 07:50 AM

Great to hear!
I truly love my gen 2 x7 and really can't justify spending that much more to get a gen 3.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber