The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 05-05-2022, 06:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
I used a link location from another forum so that might have been the issue. I moved the picture over to Imgur; you should be able to see it now.
Yep see it now

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 05-05-2022, 07:04 PM

I worked for a broadcast network from 1995 to 2016 The network jumped on ProTools LE soon after release. That decision was made by a broadcast operations group, I was heading the client computer and Windows servers side of that. Company wanted to go completely digital for our broadcast audio production by the turn of the century, and we did.

A diversified broadcast network, so all kinds of users. Reporters and classical hosts (not generally technical) to recording engineers and broadcast techs (some of whom were not very computer literate, even though they knew their own tech). Most of our systems where ProTools LE, Digi001 and Mbox systems. Lots of MBox systems used essentially as dongles, and eventually Digi made an actual USB dongle.

Yes, there were issues, but by sticking to what worked and requiring it, ProTools worked. We did run mostly Mac clients, though we started off our LA studios with Windows systems for a while. I don't doubt the nightmare story upthread, just adding that with dozens of systems from the start and multiple users per system there was a successful result.

I at times pushed for something besides ProTools (we had a small commercial AM news station that ran Cool Edit on Windows with great cost efficiency). Later in my career we moved to using Audacity on Windows as an adjunct to the more costly ProTools systems for light duty use.

Biggest nightmare: a growing network during my time and need for new Mac systems to be procured (my job to buy those) and Apple would (as they do now) lock in new hardware to newest version of Mac OS that ProTools didn't support.

But old war stories....

I've kept my "own it" LE and its successors license up to date through this year. Assuming I can still play and record I'm not sure about the next year, just as I wasn't sure about the current one. I could probably go to Artist as I do my more complex projects in Logic. To the degree that I have any "old-timers' feelings/worries about Avid, I do worry that they have a history of dropping lower end versions.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD