The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-27-2020, 03:31 PM

Default Blackbird Savoy neck vs Emerald neck

Hi,

I have an Emerald X20. I've been thinking about trying out Blackbird Savoy, partly because it comes with a short scale neck. Is Savoy neck slimmer, thicker or about the same as Emerald in general?

But I live in Australia..

Thanks in advance.

Past:
2015 --- Maton S60
2016 --- Mini Maton EM6
ft. AP5 Original
2017 --- Cole Clark CCAN2EC-SR
ft. 3-way pickup
2017 --- Cole Clark CCLL1RM

Current:
2017 --- Anuenue M200
2018 --- Emerald X20 Opus
ft. satin neck + LR Baggs Element
Old 04-27-2020, 03:43 PM

I have played a Savoy, but it was a while ago. I have a Lucky13 and it has a slightly thicker neck than the X20 I had IIRC. I think the Savoy neck is similar to the Lucky but I couldn’t swear to it.
Good luck,
Old 04-27-2020, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albirw View Post
But I live in Australia...
Necks play different there? Asking for a friend
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 04-28-2020, 08:34 AM
Charter Member

Albi, I have a Savoy and an older X10N which has the same neck as the X20.

I also have a strat and a strat-like narrow neck GX.

The X10 with the standard Emerald neck feels wide and flat compared to the GX and strat. The Savoy fits in between. It's a beefier c-shape than the strat and GX, but not as wide and flat as the X10.

Unless you're sensitive to neck profiles, you shouldn't have issues jumping from one to another, but they do feel and play differently.
Old 04-28-2020, 08:45 AM

Albi, I routinely jump between my X20 and a Lucky 13. The two necks feel slightly different, but not dramatically so, and I have no trouble switching or playing either for hours. Emerald is very like a Taylor neck, and Lucky is like a deeper, fuller C-shape.

The only times I have played a Savoy were at the Reno Uke Fest (a pre-production model) and a couple of years ago while gathering at Kramster's house. I don't recall anything unusual or uncomfortable about the neck, but I found the body size to be a little smallish for my taste. I prefer the 000/GA body size myself, so my interest would lean more toward the El Capitan than the Savoy. I also have a really comfortable wood parlor guitar that happens to have the same body profile as the Lucky 13. This may not be especially helpful, but that is what I can contribute.

Edit: I like shorter scales too, and have a custom X20 with 24.6" scale length in the works currently. The 24.75" scale of the Lucky 13 is more comfy to play than 25.5" for me these days. While I CAN play either, the shorter scale feels noticeably better on my left hand.
Old 02-05-2021, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
Hi, I think necks play similar globally but there is no dealer here for me to try a Savoy. I personally prefer a narrower/shorter neck than my current X20. But I don't want something too tiny like Taylor GS Mini. Thanks

Past:
2015 --- Maton S60
2016 --- Mini Maton EM6
ft. AP5 Original
ft. 3-way pickup

Current:
2017 --- Anuenue M200
Old 02-05-2021, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Albi, I routinely jump between my X20 and a Lucky 13. The two necks feel slightly different, but not dramatically so, and I have no trouble switching or playing either for hours. Emerald is very like a Taylor neck, and Lucky is like a deeper, fuller C-shape.

The only times I have played a Savoy were at the Reno Uke Fest (a pre-production model) and a couple of years ago while gathering at Kramster's house. I don't recall anything unusual or uncomfortable about the neck, but I found the body size to be a little smallish for my taste. I prefer the 000/GA body size myself, so my interest would lean more toward the El Capitan than the Savoy. I also have a really comfortable wood parlor guitar that happens to have the same body profile as the Lucky 13. This may not be especially helpful, but that is what I can contribute.

Edit: I like shorter scales too, and have a custom X20 with 24.6" scale length in the works currently. The 24.75" scale of the Lucky 13 is more comfy to play than 25.5" for me these days. While I CAN play either, the shorter scale feels noticeably better on my left hand.
Hi thanks for your response. Appreciate that

Past:
2015 --- Maton S60
2016 --- Mini Maton EM6
ft. AP5 Original
ft. 3-way pickup

Current:
2017 --- Anuenue M200
Old 02-05-2021, 04:18 PM
Charter Member

Something to note is that the X20 is wider up the neck, about 2mm more than the Savoy at the 12th fret. I prefer the neck on the Blackbird, a bit fuller in the hand but easier to thumb fret.
On the other hand, it’s better to try a Savoy before you commit, it’s a weird guitar ergonomically. Loved the sound, but I couldn’t find a good position to play it comfortably.
Old 05-04-2022, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
Hi Kramster,

It's just that i would have to order online without trying as there is no blackbird dealer here. So will be good to hear others' experiences of it.

The only issue I have with Emerald x20, the neck gets a bit too wide for me closer to the upper fret / neck joint. Other than that, Emerald x20 is a fine guitar.

Past:
2015 --- Maton S60
2016 --- Mini Maton EM6
ft. AP5 Original
ft. 3-way pickup

Current:
2017 --- Anuenue M200
Old 05-04-2022, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tøf View Post
Something to note is that the X20 is wider up the neck, about 2mm more than the Savoy at the 12th fret. I prefer the neck on the Blackbird, a bit fuller in the hand but easier to thumb fret.
On the other hand, it’s better to try a Savoy before you commit, it’s a weird guitar ergonomically. Loved the sound, but I couldn’t find a good position to play it comfortably.
Yeah it's the thumbing the fret that I struggle with x20. I prefer a thinner neck at the 12th or 14th fret. Difficult to try one before buying tho as I live in Australia.

Past:
2015 --- Maton S60
2016 --- Mini Maton EM6
ft. AP5 Original
ft. 3-way pickup

Current:
2017 --- Anuenue M200

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber